shiroblanc shiroblanc 22-25, F 10 Answers Apr 30, 2013 in Art

definitely the horrible media.

Best Answer

I haven't watched TV, esp. the news in over 4 years now. I despise it.

Best Answer

Me too....the only thing I watch is national geographic, I haven't watched soapies and the news for more than 10 years

Best Answer

I have watched nothing. I am not going to lie though. I will watch seasons of shows on DVD that my friends will let me borrow. But I don't watch actualy tv. :-) I just have too much other stuff to do.

Best Answer

I'm interested in the instinctual, reflexive facet of this question. I think beauty perception results from a combination of variables arising from nature (instinct, like the proportion between features), nurture (from culture & what we're taught) & choice (e.g., something is unique, intriguing).

That foisted on us by consumerist culture as beautiful is merely a collection of temporary fashions, so I don't view that as significant.

I've read our brains perceive the following as beautiful:

- Certain measurements of & proportions between facial features. There are many studies about this; I'll try to add one here later. This is similar to men being more attracted to a certain female waist to hip ratio when they desire to breed.

- More generic or 'regular' rather than unique features; I find this to be true. To perceive it, view almost any younger celebrity-type generally considered very attractive with an objective eye, by isolating and evaluating each feature separately. More often than not their features are NOT at all memorable but are very generic. (I stated 'younger' because aging often adds distinctive differences to what were generic features earlier.)

- Features that side to side (left vs. right), are more similar, closest to a mirror image. This might be an instinctual judgment of 'fewer mutations=higher quality genes" or similar. Amusing exercise: take a close up photo of your face. Use a photo editor to flip /get a mirror/reverse image of it (so your right side becomes your left). Cut both along the center and affix each original to its mirror image. You'll be surprised how different the two 'you' versions look! Now do the same with a 'gorgeous' celebrity=big difference.

- The facial structure and features of people may often be similar to that of their pets and spouses because we instinctively judge as attractive and thus select for that which resembles us. So, even if we're objectively unattractive maybe to some extent we ARE our own template of beauty, or at least that which is acceptable to us individually. (To perceive this, each time you think someone of your own sex is attractive, evaluate whether any of their features resemble yours.)

It wouldn't surprise me if this tendency were hard-wired into our brains, perhaps as a survival mechanism to recognize those of our own "tribe" less likely to kill us millions of years ago.

Yet that's arguable because so many choose a companion who looks entirely dissimilar, so this may be entirely false, be a tendency that's often ignored (similar looks are perceived as beautiful but that's outweighed by other selection variables), or something else.

- It's certainly partially learned behavior from culture too. I bet if I lived my entire life within a group who all looked much different than I did, AND I never saw other people, I'd be more likely to find a photo of the opposite sex attractive that resembled those in the group, not me.

Best Answer

My god I must praise you for writing such an elaborate analysis O: after reading it it just makes me want to ask you more questions, but it gets a little subjective, I hope you don't mind

Best Answer

Aw, thanks! I did edit it a bit for typos and to improve comprehension, but the meaning didn't change. I truly do find this subject fascinating, and so have read quite a bit about alternative theories. The obvious problem with trying to evaluate and apply results of mate selection is that the 'beauty perception' element of that choice can't be effectively isolated. But there are numerous attraction research studies in which test subjects were only shown photos of faces, or of entire bodies (yes, dressed - ha!), and those results would seem to be very applicable here. I'm not sure what you mean about 'do I mind it gets a little subjective'; while I don't mind at all, please give an example. I'm not sure there CAN be any truly objective beauty standard anyway because any such preference or judgment has to be informed by something, right? Hmm... Regarding 'elaborate', I tend to over-think most everything, be verbose, and either not do something at all or over-do it, all of which are often a burden on me and others. ;) Please feel free to ask questions, this is a very enjoyable topic to discuss!

Best Answer

Perhaps our origins and gender

Best Answer

Money

Best Answer

It's what our mind thinks beauty is. To me beauty comes from the heart :)))

Best Answer