It has been long ago since I began teaching, and the one thing I still do today, I focus on one person and talk to them. Once you change thoughts, pick another person. I know you have spoken to people who wanted to hear what you had to say, while there were distractions in the background, treat it like that. Changing people who you talk to will maintain eye contact with the audience which will help in keeping them involved, speaking to one person will help you keep focused on what you are taking about or the discussion, trying to look at everyone one at once is very distracting and will prevent you from focusing on what you wish to communicate. Anyhow, I have spoken to a lot of groups beside classrooms and I have found that this is the best way for me. <br />
Want to try something for excitement, try giving a talk to a bunch of engineers and managers on something they missed in their original investigation of a problem and the fix will be literally billions of dollars. The room erupted into such an uproar of recrimination and denial I was unable to finish my talk. They were able to finally settle down, validate my findings and we were able to agree on a solution with a price tag of about $2.5Mil it took over 3 years for the resolution. That was probably the roughest audience I ever had. I suspect yours will be a lot less boisterous.

Best Answer

I don't get nervous once I'm up there.

Best Answer

I hate speaking in front of people unless I know exactly what I am talking about. So I would say being [prepared is the way to get over it. Practise so many times you know the content blindfolded and then any distractions, etc. won't throw you off and make you stumble.

Best Answer

I used to be really scared to get up in front of a classroom. I started playing the piano and i just get into the music.<br />
With regards to a speech, I just try not to think about them. Like the lady above says, act calm and natural and it will be over before you know it. Take a deep breath and just do it.

Best Answer

To picture everone naked...I did and ended up laughing out loud...could not help it...

Best Answer

My boss told me he's used to hold a paper clip. I think he transferred the nervous energy by fiddling with it.

Best Answer

Hi TrackyDaks. Happy new year to you. I used to imagine them all in pink tutus when I talk in pubic, I dont have to do that now. I got used to it talking in public.

Best Answer

Hey Happy New Year to you too Hun.
You nearly had me there. I thought you were going to say you actually got them to wear tutus lol

Best Answer