I'll go into more detail here so that you can give me answers with a higher degree of specificity than the status quo.I'm a 30s male with a good education and experience in hospitality, tech, and bootstrap entrepreneurship. I've been slowly going broke for two years and for the past six months I've been sponging off my family while trying to find any type of meaningful work. At this point, I have no savings or 401K, no car, very little cash, and no access to credit. I can no longer live with my parents and I'd like to go somewhere where I can have minimal shelter and a chance at any type of job but my financials preclude that dream. I'm leaning towards a warm weather place because I know I'll be sleeping outside for at least 30 days. Where do people go when they have nothing but want to go down fighting? Looking for tips & tricks as to how to stay clean & fed & out of trouble from street people and police.
DownButNotOutYet DownButNotOutYet 31-35 14 Answers Jun 13, 2009

I don't live in your country, But my prayers are with you.<br />
hugssss<br />
Lorraine

Best Answer

You do what you gotta do to survive. And maybe take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. Perhaps some changes are in order?<br />
But like almost everyone else said, there are places that will help for the short term. And there are plenty of places to sleep out of the weather.<br />
You just have to be resourceful, and humble.

Best Answer

come to tampa. there are shelters and programs here to help. and we have day labor pools where you can earn some money to stay afloat. we also have lots of restaurants if you have hospitality experience. plus, the weather is warm. no guarantees. it's all i can think of. good luck.

Best Answer

Hey D.B.N.O.Y.,<br />
House-sitting can be fun, dumpster-diving is practically a sport, and you can travel the (at least MY) country on dumpster-diving if you know where to go.. try the chain-stores websites to find out where they are located. You can camp anywhere you like as long as you're not found. Can you afford a bike and a bit of basic camping equipment? PM me any time if you want to know more.<br />
(I have no idea what a 401K is or a welcome=t3)

Best Answer

I don't know where you live but many cities towns have little known resources for those in your situation. There are Federal, state, and local programs for shelter, job search assistance, & much more. There are also many churches of different denominations which provide the same services but in addition also offer food banks, clothing banks, sometimes transportation, counseling and other types of assistance. Obviously you have internet access so I'd suggest that you do some research for what's available in your area. Good luck!

Best Answer

What about enlisting in the forces?

Best Answer

I would suggest California. And check the beaches. I went there in 99 and I slept in garages they used to have fire pits on the beaches and the police weren't that tight. Every once in a while I found a random bread line and the food was really good. People were really friendly. A few different people would just put me up in their house and feed me too. I had tiger shark. This guy I met was really nice he would give me 5 bucks for a 20 sack of weed and would smoke me up for it. I was in San Diego. Specifically Ocean beach that was the low class beach in san diego, I don't know if it's like that. Maybe I could go with you. I have a car but not that much money, I'm here in New Hampshire. I also have a good education ... a b.a. in Film production, and have been looking for any type of work here I have put out of tons of resumes but not even a single response. Hope this helps....

Best Answer

Dude im in mesa, wanna do that **** ? I have a little money and i speak fluent italian and i can swim, we can form a coalition in cali you and i

Best Answer

Is that Arizona? I don't know I saw this militant truck this past weekend and the Liscense plate in the upper right window said c u in az like a threat the truck was right in front of me I'm also in a lease till April and have two grand in credit debt I want to pay off other than that it's seven fifty for a ssdi check but.......... Maybe??? It'd probably be really fun maybe ideal

Best Answer

I have a lot of east coast items that I think would be valuable out there

Best Answer

yes its az, and wow thts some fema camp **** lmao. But hey i have credit debt and some fines i want to pay off in virginia (winchester) can you rent me a couch? I can tranfer to a taco bell down there

Best Answer

Excellent question. What are not answers though... You can not join the military at that age. There are certainly nowhere near enough places that can help, with either shelter or food. According to all the research I've been doing, there are actually fewer than 1 in 4 beds for adult men in need in the US. Food resources run by similar margins. These platitudes about such things as looking in the mirror are utterly useless, of course. As are ideas about travelling to freaking South Africa. People, in general, are just completely out of text with your situation and as far as I've found, you, and I, are completely on our own. These people don't understand that these are the reasons why there are approximately 3.5 million people in this situation, and it's growing.

Best Answer

Just give up ,it's NOT going to get any better , only worse !

Best Answer

Go into the Armed Forces!!! I love the Airforce. Even if you have some felonies against you, you can speak to them and they will probably give you a chance because they know you're trying to improve yourself.

Best Answer

I know this was like two years ago. I am curious to know where you are now. I was seeking answers for my own problems when I came across this. I hope all is well with you. I am terrified for myself and my children at this point. If it is just you, you might consider substitute teaching. Most places need subs pretty bad. All you need is 60 college hours in most places.

Best Answer

When the Real Estate market took a big nose dive, I went into substitute teaching. I was lucky to have gone to college and have 96 credits. So I have been teaching since 2008 and that helps me make ends meet. I have three children. I never have received any kind of aide. This year I had to pay $7,900. in taxes, because I made too much money and I had a hard time making it through the year as it was??/ I don't get it. So I feel like I'm paying someone elses (I don't know whos) way.

Best Answer

There are lots of places - especially retreat centers or anywhere that provides lodging for customers - where you can volunteer to keep the place going and they will feed you and put you up. I spent a few terms at the Option Institute/Autism Treatment Center of America - and it wasn't just a refuge when I had few other options - it was an incredible experience. I know about one other place in North Carolina called the Mountain that also gives a stipend to its volunteers, and I had a friend who spent a month or two volunteering and taking classes at a Buddhist retreat in Colorado called Shambala, or something. I have another friend who spent a couple of years after college in South America - staying in host family homes or dorms as part of those English teaching programs. You have to come up with your own plane fare but they feed you, house you, and provide training - and she loved it so much she moved down there and got a permanent job teaching English. There are others, and I think most of them could be found with the right internet searches. <br />
The good thinabout taking a travel/volunteer route is that you're not just scraping together an existence and feeling sorry for yourself, you're taking care of your temporary problems in a relatively stress free way AND doing something worthwhile that might teach you about yourself, the world, what you want out of life, etc. And your friends and family will probably be so impressed that you're turning what could be a miserable situation into an opportunity that they might even be more than willing to lend you train, plane, or bus fare to get there.

Best Answer

This is a time when you have fewer attachments, this is a time when change is possible - this may be the time when you may become what you truly can be - and no goal is to high.

Best Answer