For people with Epilepsy, do you experience anything during a seizure? A sensation of any sorts? Or do you remain fully unconscience? By the way I have Epilepsy, and that's why I am asking. I am curious to know what other people with Epilepsy feel during a seizure. It has NOTHING to do with an overdose, thank you.
FastLaneC3 FastLaneC3 18-21, F 36 Answers May 5, 2009

I have had pretty consistent seizures for about four years now and have had over two hundred. I can often feel them coming and experience very intense auras and I feel as though I am floating. My heart beat is heavy and it feels as if the people around me can hear it. The right side of my face starts to feel as if it is melting off and I my eyes become glassy. I usually understand what is going on and begin to cry and am sometimes even able to get myself to the ground safely. I think that was a learning curve though - I sustained a couple concussions before I had enough insight as to what was happening with my body. At this point I feel like I am floating yet am very heavy (specifically my head) and I begin to see bright vibrant colors. It is almost a feeling of freedom as if I am entering a new universe, it feels like I have somehow entered a new state of consciousness. I don't remember what happens around me, who I am with, or where I am but for some reason remember the visual parts with great detail. As I come out of the seizure I can see fairly well but the noises around me sound like I am under water. I have spent a lot of time with doctors and counselors and now spend a lot of time meditating and writing about this. The seizures have changed my life completely but have given me a better outlook on life. It is so nice to read the other responses and feel as though I am not the only one.

Best Answer

I just had one 3 days ago and have had grand mal seizures since I was 17. The way you describe the feeling which comes from a seizure really captured what I have not been able to explain to people for years. I hate my seizures but have come to terms with it. My dad just found me on this last one and it was the first one he's seen. I was at my comouter and felt the same sensation everyone speaks of, started breathing exercises and realized it was going to happen. All I can remember is standing up to get to my bed and then poof!!! I was in my bed with a look that I hope to never see again from my dads face. Sometimes after I wake from a seizure I kinda become one with my surroundings. It's kinda like Deja Vu but sharper and more depth. I had a seizure a year ago and was by myself. I awoke in my basement ( just used for storage) and I was scared like I normally would have been because it's an old Detroit house and I love horror movies. I just sat there up against the wall in pure darkness at like 4 am. I believe that I have gotten a lot of my musical abilities and creative senses from have seizures. I feel like I have seen a portrait of life that can only be seen by a person who suffers from Epilepsy. We are a special group of people for sure.

Best Answer

NOTE: If you ever have that feeling DON"T stand up, just go straight to the ground, that was my first mistake.

Best Answer

For myself the first experience I had my heart was racing purple blurred vision I was at work and trying to get the attention of my co-workers who were closing then I had presumed I fell and according to my co-workers lost my pulse CPR was started and then I was informed that I had a grand mal seizure which I could hear everything going on around me I was scared and went into a freight of flight pulling at everything I woke up with the CPR team around me most of them I knew being a post surgical tech.They worked me up for cardiac due to past history of my heart being puncture during an EP study. however while still in the emergency room several hour had gone by was waiting for cardiac bed and I had another grand mal seizure which was seen by the doctor.This started in November 2011, and I have a gut drop feeling followed by a weird sensation in my head I often see a purple blur I can hear people but am unable to respond I have movement of right arms and legs reaching, left side is stiff I am told my mouth twitch during post ictal. I am aggressive when people are over me. I nap after and do not recall the seizure. I remember every thing I was doing before the seizure.I have tried many anti-epileptic med now I on Lamictal XR and Klonopin I still have break through with med therapy and have learned to adjust my life my neurologist calls them partial complex and secondary grand mal.

Best Answer

I just had my first seizure 2 nights ago. All I remember is tensing up, grabbing onto my friend because I was standing, and I started screaming. I couldn't see anything but black and white flashing like crazy and I felt like I was kind of falling backwards. When I got back I felt myself screaming but I asked my friend if she heard me because I couldn't tell if I was screaming in my mind or out loud. I was initially just terrified that I had lost control and didn't know where I was anymore. I hope it never happens again and hopefully I'll recover soon cause I still feel very exhausted.

Best Answer

I'm having seizures since I was 19, it's been 7 years now. It all starts with a shout/ cry and I fall, my head tilts, half side of my body (usually my left limbs) get paralyzed, other side of the body (right limbs) jerks continuously. I shout/ cry again, then I gaze only at one place with my eyes wide open and my mouth starts chattering/ clicking .... after a while ******* and tilting of my head starts again. Am totally aware of my surroundings, i can hear and see properly but in the end (when it's over) .. I feel so tired and weak that I just want to close my eyes and rest. <br />
I told this to doctor and he doesn't believe that I have epilepsy, probably because I remember and can explain every movement and minute of my seizure, Doctor says that I have psychogenic seizures.. which really depress me but I have learned the ways to live my life with happiness.

Best Answer

I have been having sezuires since I was 5years old and I had really bad sezuire last wed to were I cracked my head open but my husband said that I scream and by eyes go to back of my head and I shake but cut on bavk of head called for staples and now it does not stop hurting

Best Answer

I feel like I'm going to dissapear, and if somebody is around me, I get worried their going to think I'm going to dissapear forever. It's like I know I'm not going to dissapear, but I'm worrying other people will think I'm going to dissapear and think I'm dead.

Best Answer

I had my first grand mal seizure around 16 years ago. The doctors never quite knew what was wrongs with me. I seem to remember one doctor suggesting that one side of my brain Santa as developed as the other. Mine always begin in the same way, with a strange feeling of loneliness and abandonment. Then this numbness which begins in my legs begins rising up my body, paralysing me with pain. Next, my hearing goes, and I can hear nothing but a sharp ringing in my ears. The last sense to disappear is my sight. I've always thought it was bizarre because my vision would narrow like an old television beng turned off, and then finally become television static and then blackness. I would never remember what had happened. I still get the feeling like I'm going to have another seizure all the time. My hearing goes and I can only hear ringing, then I have to focus on positive thoughts and move my limbs so as to discourage the numbness. Style doctor told me that I have seizures in my sleep, and quite often I remember these vividly. My whole body is paralysed in pain, and my mind is fighting to be able to get just one part of my body to move so as to break the spell. It's feeling usually occurs whilst I'm in a dark hole feeling abandoned and alone in my condition. Sometimes I'm hovering over my body, and others I'm all of a sudden falling off a cliff into darkness. Some times when I wake up, I have been grinding my teeth so hard that I feel like my tooth will fall out. There are so many different types of epilepsy and degrees of experience.

Best Answer

i know when i will get them cause my left arm starts going numb.<br />
then i start feeling vary anxious and the worse fear i ever have felt, like the other guy i also feel like i have been deliberately abandoned. i become vary unstable then my legs stop working i start crying my body has convulsions <br />
my hands make weird shapes.<br />
and each time is vary scary because while im having them i dont know whats going on and i somtimes forget what i did 20 or so min. before hand . then after im vary foggy. sometimes i also see vary bright light..<br />
last time i guess i kept repeating "im not a case, im not a case."

Best Answer

I have temporal lobe epilepsy. 95% of the time the seizure activity happens in my left temporal lobe only, simple partial, and the other 5% of the time it effects both sides, complex partial. I remain conscious throughout the whole experience of a simple partial. My warning sign is a smell akin to something burning and a disgusting copper taste in the back of my mouth. Sometimes I only get a strong feeling of déjà vu, but most of the time I feel this overwhelming sense of paranoia accompanied with confusion and the inability to convert my thoughts into spoken words. I usually just sit in the same position without moving through the whole experience. I know I am having a seizure but I am unable to tell anybody. If someone does speak to me while I am seizing, I usually respond with a one word answer or I just simply make a face and grunt. The whole experience lasts for maybe 1 minute, but in my messed up brain it feels like it lasts for a couple hours. During a complex partial I am in and out of consciousness and I only remember what happens somewhat. Almost like being blackout drunk and kind of remembering what you did the next morning. I know that I wander around and I fidget with things. I like to open and close doors, rearrange the pillows on the couch, pick things up and put them back down etc. The little I do remember from my complex partials is an intense feeling of blissful euphoria as I walk around like a zombie. J don't have an aura with these seizures and if I do, I don't remember. Hope this detailed account helps!

Best Answer

After a very bad accident I had brain swelling and had to be operated on. This is graphic...very small portion of my frontal and temporal were removed, a titanium 'plate' forever now part of my skull. It ended, well medical staff called it a 'good surgery gone bad.' I never have understood that OTHER THAN I was injured but COHERENT AND COMMUNICATING WELL prior to the surgery. After... I just know it was MONTHS before I somewhat grasped the situation. I came out of that surgery with a child's mentality. 'My second chance at life' ya right I got so friggin sick of hearing that crap I totally blew up on someone, "I didn't ASK FOR THIS SECOND CHANCE I WAS QUITE FINE THE FIRST TIME AROUND IN CASE YOU DIDNT NOTICE. BTW, did you know I used to walked very well, now I'm getting to painfully figure out his to take baby steps with out falling down...so no, I DONT HARDLY SEE MY 2nd chance as a golden opp!" They never said that crap ever again. But what my original point was is having part of my brain removed, DEF A MAJOR DIFFERENCE. But I'm noticing small changes as I'm getting older. What I men's basically is my condition is worsening, bummer I know. Have you exp anything like that?
Hey, thanks for your time and letting me vent there. It was a traumatic exp indeed but I'm blessed to have lived and that I did recover a lot of what I'd lost rather quickly. But the truth is...am I REALLY THAT LUCKY? Was it really a BLESSING? Cuz see I would never be able to work again, my entire life changed in less than a blink of an eye. I worked my fingers to the bone for 2 BAs at university, had settled down married with new baby and after 3 yrs stay home mom I started my new career. One year later, a hitn run by 15 drunk kid...he didn't leave me for DeAD. He just left me for HANDICAPPED! Cuz that's what I am now. So believe me, quite often I'm wondering, "WHY." Why ...a lot of things. To many to write. Sometimes I don't feel so blessed. I'm just being honest. Don't mean to offend. This just is not what I planned for my life. Some days are just dreadful. At least I know how to truly appreciate a GOOD DAY though!

Best Answer

Had my first one just now, was smokin then next moment iam looking at my.friends with me on the floor. I didnt know i fell at,all and was wondering why everyone lookin at me with horror in there eyes. i. Could not remember that i even fell,out, i do remember them saying like What the hell!!? Wtf!! Best i.can explain it i herd them and i was blinding moving.in a pattern it was hard to stop but was soon easy to regroup. I didnt see myself hit the floor it felt like it didnt happen to you like a battery recharging in secounds all at once. So,not sure if i truly had one but they said i hit my head twice hard as i.was fallin as goofy as that **** sounds to me i do feel the bruies on,my head so idk in the end. Not going to hospital to found out. If true did i have a seiszure? Let me know!

Best Answer

I experience a deja vu type feeling , its such an abnormal experience still the key to it is once you realize it you are already in it. I've had questions , Why won't you stop it? You can't!

Best Answer

Usually, I feel dizzy and can't speak. I go floppy and stiff at the same time and then my eyelids flicker. Sometimes I go blind in one eye and I get this pattern at the corner of my eye, like a multicoloured flashing star which I can't actually look at but it signals that I'm about to or am having a seizure. In that pattern, I can see myself.. I feel alone in the 'seeing myself' part because I've looked online and nothing comes up for it.. Also I throw up a couple of times and get really bad headaches. I usually fall asleep or lose consciousness and wake up a little dazed.

Best Answer

Okay, I dont have seizures anymore but it was a seizure. Tell me if anyone had the same feeling. First, I have this aura telling me that I will have one soon. Sometimes I have spasm out of nowhere. And I jerk down on my knee in a kneeling form first. Then Im on the floor. I remember I let go one tears and it all happen. It feels like a cramp in your head. My head feelings like its constantly turning around and around n it hurts. And then my eyes I guess rolls back and I see everyone mouthing words worrying about me. I try to talk but I cant. I try to reach for help when I cant. N my mouth stretches like crazy. My muscle tense up really hard and it hurts. I then talk to myself throughout the pain. I told my myself, "Your having a seizure, calm down it will be over soon." Then I blackout. Ive always faint right after and slept a lot. But the last one I had, I was consious right after and was panicing. I was breathing really hard and telling everyone I am scared and hugging my sister. I think I had a panic attack. Overall, it hurts a lot. To me its one of the most painfullest thing lve ever been through. Considering I am talking myself through it while having a seizure.

Best Answer

Idk if I had a seizure, but I was in a club where people were smoking and all of a sudden I became very weak like I was floating, shaking I didn't know if anyone else saw it but later my sister said I was, I could not see Anyones face just blurred lights, I fought hard with the help of her to make it to the ladies room once there with fresher air to breath I had enough energy to make it out the door. After that I've been ok just scared...did I have a seizure?

Best Answer

It sounds more like a panic attack.

Best Answer

I was diagnosed with transient global amnesia but they are supposed to be rare like one time happening not a repeated thing my experience is I first have a dejavu I have had my dreams come true all my life but not like this I become unaware not passed out like sleep walking I talk to people but make no sense I keep asking what day is it. Longest it last was 22 hours testing in er . I experience remembering at the time a lot of my dreams. I come in and out of it when they happen. It has happened 6 times since 2003 . When I come out of it. I don't usually remember things from the out of moments stage. Sometimes a time gap of before it's happening will be erased from my memory. I found ibuprofen helps stop them if I take it when I first notice it. I hate them makes me feel like a freek.

Best Answer

In the moments before a seizure, I will start to feel heavy. My nerves in my arms, legs, and especially hands will start to tingle to an unbearable amount. I will feel out of control of my body. My ears will start ringing and my vision will blur. Then I'll be unconscious. Sometimes, there are dreams and sometimes there aren't. When I dream, they can feel as if they last hours. Other times, they are just visions of blurs of color and light and last only seconds. Physically, I am tensed up and my eyes cross or roll back, my thumbs are also tucked into my hands every time. I don't shake, like most epileptics. My seizures usually last about 10 seconds to a minute. I've been having seizures for about 4 years. I often feel auras like I'm going to have a seizure and it is really scary, because I don't feel in control of my body and aren't sure what to do. But it's when I don't pay attention or see it coming that I have a seizure.

Best Answer

When i have seizures i always get a feeling my doctor says i have auras partial complex and when i was little i use to have grand mals. when I'm about to have one i hate when anyone touches me i don't like sitting down and sometimes i hide because i don't want anyone to know it always sounds like i hear Spanish i don't know how to speak Spanish and there are other things that go on in my mind to that i can't remember. I try to remember but i cant. When I'm done sometimes I take a nap. I've been having seizures in my sleep and i wake up and sometimes i don't and sometimes i have a very wired metallic taste in my mouth when they are over. i had a seizure yesterday and my leg and arm on one side on my body feels very weak and my face feels very greasy and numbish i take Keppra and Toppmax i want to know if this is from the seizures or the medication and i have been having seizures every since i was 8 years old i'm now 20

Best Answer

I feel very nervous, my heart races And everything around me appears dreamlike. I am fully aware, but try not to speak as I fear my speech will sound slurred.

Best Answer

I've been have seizures since I was 13 (I'm 20 now) and I always have a dream when I lose consciousness.<br />
It usually starts with a stomach ache or this sudden feeling I can't breathe, my vision starts going, sometimes I feel myself fall, sometimes I have time to make it to the ground.<br />
Once I go out of it though, I definitely have bizarre dreams. They have nothing to do with people in my life or sometimes real things. They aren't scary necessarily but it honestly feels like I'm not alive, in just kind of observing the world.<br />
They feel like they last hours and hours when my fit only lasts a few minutes.<br />
Then of course I wake up on the floor, usually with someone shaking me trying to get me conscious and I have no clue where I am. When I snap out of it my ears ring and it feels like I'm being sucked to the ground, I'm usually so dizzy and confused I can't move for a long time. It's hard for me to tell reality from whatever dream my brain sucked me into.<br />
I mentioned my dreams to my neurologist and he said it was nothing to worry about.

Best Answer

I get numb frequently out of nowhere, my hearing fades away and all I can "see" looks like TV static or a gray 'fogginess', Could these be seizures?

Best Answer

I've been well controlled for a good while but on meds for about 25 years. Explaining what it feels like is hard, I've never read anything that describes mine. They are hard to describe, but last night for the second time I dreamt I was going to have one. The falling in a deep hole sensation, hurtling out of control. I tried to call for my husband, and then I woke up. No symptoms, didn't bite my tongue (like in the past). My mind able to reconstruct it? Weighing on my mind all day. What a bizarre condition we have! By the way I've been a nurse for many years, take my meds religiously if not always perfectly. Peace.

Best Answer