Cancer patients go through so much! I often have someone emotional in the office. I want to say and do the right thing. Has anyone here been in this situation or had a family member there? What is it that someone said or did that meant so much? I know everyones situation is different, Im just wanting to be more prepared next tome.
underrock underrock 31-35, F 16 Answers May 8, 2012

I am a cancer colorectal survivor and I think it is key to be genuine and concerned. A newly diagnosed person is still working through denial and will only be hearing a small amount of what you are saying. If I could give one special thing you can do, it would be to give them contact info to ask you questions later. but only if you have the energy to follow up. The people I still count as friends are the ones who left the door open for me. I could list a stream of facts about how treatments are making people live longer but that is not often the comfort being sought. the medical community is great at prolonging the quantity of life without listening to the patients wishes about the quality of life. Thanks for asking the question, many don't consider the patients feelings well.

Best Answer

That is a really good point.. without a doubt thst is how medicine thinks.

Best Answer

It seems like your doing pretty good,just answer question sif they have any,or just be there to support them if possible!

Best Answer

My mom and dad both died of cancer. They both told me that they didn't need me to SAY anything. The important thing was that they NEEDED to be able to talk about it. Most people didn't want to hear what they were thinking or feeling. Everyone was trying so hard to say something encouraging and all they wanted was to talk; not be told how a cure is just around the corner.....yadayadayada.

Best Answer

Okay, thats good to know!

Best Answer

all I know is I wouldn't want my last moments of my life of people feeling sorry for me or being depressed around me or towards me. <br />
how would you want to be treated?

Best Answer

Idk.
I try to just vibe off the patient. if they like making jokes, we laugh, if they cry, we hug, if they are anxious, i answer questions, or just listen.

Best Answer

there you go. all you can do really. :]

Best Answer

I know....:(
It can be really heartbreaking! We had a sweet little woman crying today. She is near the end, its sooo hard to watch! The anguish

Best Answer

Honestly, there is not a "right thing" to say to someone who is going through something like that. Especially if you have not gone through it. I would just tell them that you are sorry and that you are there for them if they need anything. Support is the most important thing, often when people have cancer they feel alone. Do whatever you can to help them not feel completely alone.

Best Answer

Good point, making ppl not feel alone...

Best Answer

This makes me think of a young woman in her 30s that was diagnosed with breast cancer and she was crying etc. I didn't know what to say except I knew my coworker was a breast cancer survivor in her 20s and she was now in her 40s so I would let the patient know about the tech ( bc the tech loved sharing her story to other cancer patients to let them know there was hope. So I would get the tech to talk to the patient bc that tech had been through all of it , was even told she would die and to check into a hospice , but she got a second opinion and here she was 15 years later cancer free.

Best Answer

There's no one right thing to say to someone in that situation. Sometimes it's just better to say nothing at all.

Best Answer

True

Best Answer

I'm in the same boat as you. I scan cancer patients all the time and I never know what to say especially when they start crying. I think you just being kind to them and listening to their frustrations is enough. It seems as if patient care ( in radiology ) is all about hurry up and get the next one in like an assembly line. However , there are a few sick patients that sometimes wants to talk to someone and I happen to be the person so I take the extra few minutes and run behind schedule. I always try to put myself in their shoes.

Best Answer

Hello ,I am Christie Bolt from Chicago Illinois,i am 57 years

old,i saw a comment posted by wandy brimm from Vegas, on how

she was free from skin cancer with canabis (CANNABIS OIL) by

doctor DR.RICK SIMPSON JNR. , i was diagnosed of HPV

infections for the pass two years , i contacted wandy and she

told me that this very doctor cures HPV cancer , and he also

cures HIV/AIDS too, then i contacted DR.RICK SIMPSON JNR., so

he told me what to do to get healed and free from HPV , so i

made provisions for the HERBAL CREAM which i used for two

weeks and now just to see that the exact week which DR.RICK

SIMPSON JNR. told me i we be healed i was felling good and

healthy , my skin regained, i went for check up in the

hospital and my doctor told that me that all the virus had

disappeared from my blood vessels and normal, then DR.RICK

SIMPSON JNR. asked me to promise him that i would testify of

his good works to the world, so I will like you to contact him

(ricksimpsonspharmacy@gmail.com ) if you have any health issue

i believe DR.RICK SIMPSON JNR. can help you.
here is my email adress you can contact me

corwinmellisa@gmail.com

Best Answer

There really is a real cure for cancer now. its not Chemo either....

Best Answer

hello to you all, my name is Wendy Brimm , i am from Vegas here in united state, i wish to tell you all, how i find a doctor that cure me from SKIN CANCER, which i had for three years with his natural herbal medicine i bought from him, it all went this way, i was online one very day when i saw a comment of a woman called MARIA KATRINA from united kingdom sharing her testimony about how this very doctor cured her of HIV, and he also cured AIDS too, but i never really believed but i just decided to give it a try and i contacted DOCTOR HAKIM, so he told me anything i needed to know and what to do to get cured and free from my cancer issue, so i went straight and make provisions for the herbs which he used to prepare medicine for me,i applied the medicine and just to see that the exact day which doctor harkim said i we be cured i was felling good and healthy at once, my strength was regained i went for check up in the hospital and my family doctor told me i am free from cancer, this was the greatest miracle that has happened to me in my life, and i promise doctor hakim that i we share his good work to the world, i gave his email to my friends,they were having similar disease problem and now they are cured from the diseases such as: Sexual Health and Sexually Transmitted Infection/Disease / HPV/HERPES<br />
KIDNEY/ HEART DISEASE and many more i can say he make used of natural herbs for them. these are few i can say about this DOCTOR HAKIM, i went with my family to thank him for his great work and solution in my life, wish i never expected this was possible, I we like you to contact him today on his private <br />
EMAIL ADDRESs: dr.hakimherbalspellworld@gmail.com if you have any health issue i believe this doctor can help you out as well.

Best Answer