I have a friend (female) who has been dating a guy 14 years younger... I think it is fine. They are adults, and she seems happy. But, I wonder about how compatible they really are...and worry about her heart getting broken...
looking4connection looking4connection 26-30, F 16 Answers Nov 19, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

In today's world, you are never sure of anything. Listening to your heart is all that matters.

Best Answer

Relationships with large age differences are fine as long as the couples understand that their bodies might not align but there's no limit on the mind or the level of maturation. Some people mature much faster and they seek out people at different age levels to be compatible with and that's completely fine and I don't think there's any standards that should held differently for men and women on the subject.

Best Answer

For women I would say if the guy eventually wants kids and she is too old that is the main problem. Also hard to trust a guy nowadays never mind someone a lot younger. The attitude of the guy's friends as well.

Men seem to be able to get away with it more, less public criticism for starters. A lot ot 60 yr old plus fathers to new babies out there !!

Best Answer

I completely agree...and that is sort of my worry for her. She does not want to have more kids. But I don't know if he wants them either.

Best Answer

There are no guarantees in life even if both parties are the same age. If she is happy be happy for her, and be a friend if it all goes wrong.

Best Answer

I am happy for her...he treats her great, and she is happy. I guess I am just a worrier :)

Best Answer

Yeah just a tiny bit lol.

Best Answer

Basically, as long as both are legal age, it's nobody else's business, but more than 5-10 years usually means the two are probably at different places in their lives.

And yes, there are different standards for men and women, even apart from the double standard that exists because of the patriarchal slant many people give male/female relationships.

Practically speaking, a much older man may still be able to father children if his younger partner wants them. An older woman may not be able to so accomodate her younger partner.

Best Answer

Age differences? They happen all the time, to everybody. Why, did you think we were all the same age? Of course it doesn't matter.

Best Answer

The older you get, the less it matters.

Best Answer

I've dated 9 years younger and 16 years older. Both were fine. As for your friend I bet there's a lot less compatible guys in her own age bracket.

Best Answer

I think it depends.If its like two adults 30 and 50,I would say have at it.But if its like a 12 year old and a 22 year old.Thats a totally different situation.

Best Answer

Probably just an affair. When they tire of having sex, they will discover that they have nothing in common and go separate ways.

Best Answer

On EP I learned about the half plus seven rule. Take half of the older one's age, add seven, there is the lower limit for the younger one. Try it.

Best Answer

I like that rule, thanks :)

Best Answer

If your friend is your age - that's a bit wrong.

Best Answer

haha...no, she is older...40 I think. Yeah, if she were my age, it would be totally wrong!

Best Answer