I admit I'm new to this but AFAICT, meditation isn't escapism. In fact, if anything, it will bring your issues to your attention. What it DOES do, is allows you to non-judgementally view your life and thoughts and make you aware of things that may need to be addressed in your life. It fairly quickly came to my attention that my lifelong issue with chronic pain is a reflection of a horrible incident from my teens that was never addressed -- or even acknowledged -- properly. Following that revelation I wrestled with a few dreams that also addressed that issue. Not quite nightmares, exactly, but more into the issue than I wanted to go -- which shows how much I had had it all bottled up inside me. Now I have a feel that I've given the issue a proper review and, if needed, I will call in professional help to deal with any lingering problems with it. Will it solve the pain issue? I don't know. I suppose that remains to be seen. No, it's definitely not escapism -- it's the mind freely going through doors that you have not opened before or you slammed shut to protect yourself. I hope, eventually, that meditation will lead to greater creativity in my artistic field. But first things first... right now I have to take care of a 40 year old repressed problem.

Best Answer

did you ask them how they were before they started meditating? I am sure they will tell you they were worse than that.

Best Answer

perhaps the people you know don't use a technique designed to help the with that. I mean a lot of people refer to different things as meditation

Best Answer