Gettingittogether Gettingittogether 41-45 12 Answers Jan 28, 2013 in Health

I am mentally ill (although I admit I have learned to cope) And I don't even take my meds. I've lost all faith in doctors and I pretty much just rely on myself and family to keep me relatively sane.

Best Answer

God bless you , I'm glad it's working for you .

Best Answer

I believe forcing people judged to be mentally ill to take meds is a recipe for disaster and abuse by the authorities,who have a track record of using this type of law for their own nefarious ends.

Best Answer

I understand where you coming from .

Best Answer

I don't think it should be mandated-or forced- alot of drugs don't have the effect they are supposed to and some can make you waaaay worse- did you know that there are TESTS they can give to find out which psychiatric drug would work best but they never do -they just rely on trial and error!

Best Answer

No , I didn't know that I'll try suggesting it to him if it makes any difference at all , thanks , I hope that can help him.

Best Answer

i think as long as theyre not hurting themselves or others they should be allowed to make the decision to take it or not but if its hurting people they should be forced to take them

Best Answer

I agree .......

Best Answer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17182626<br />
Mentally ill people are more likely to be crime victims than crime perpetrators...and the study cited in the article is an international meta-analysis.

Best Answer

I understand that point of view also.

Best Answer

But , how bout those shootings ? They later claim the shooters and the guy who set the show on fire were all mentally ill . I wonder were they actively taking their meds or did it make any difference . Just wondering , that kind of stuff in conjunction with my friend honestly makes me wonder if there is anything at all that can be done .

Best Answer

There is if someone notices...The thing is, we're very distant and unsupportive as a culture. This is one result.

Best Answer

sometimes the medications can make things worse- even meds that ARE working eventually stop working and the person has to be switched to a new med- there is not enough emphasis put on withdrawing from these meds-SLOWLY- the lady that killed her 5 kids in texas a while back had just recently switched from a med she was on to a new one-the meds are great when they work and can be deadly when they don't or are stopped too sudenly etc.

Best Answer

Everyone has rights, including people with mental illness. They cannot be forced to medicate any more than you or I can. <br />
Here in Pennsylvania the law says that parents can't force a child 14 years old or older to take psychotropic drugs. They have a choice, the right to choose. Many people don't like the way medications make them feel and many medications have side-effects that are often much worse than the condition they are taking the medication for. <br />
My son has a cognitive disability, the first medication he was placed on caused him to be violent and combative, medication is not always the best answer. There are other forms of treatment, including diet modifications that can be beneficial.

Best Answer

I totally agree , just concerned .

Best Answer

Interesting. Believe me, some of them are very clued up.

Best Answer

This issue directly affects me personaly. I see clearly that a return to the institutional system template that is required. Rights and med issues complicate matters too much.<br />
Those who are MR/DD need more care more structure and a consecutive list of short term goals.

Best Answer

I think it's worth mentioning that "MR" is diagnosed in varying degrees. My son has a moderate diagnosis, but he makes reasonable choices, is responsible with his things and ours, volunteers at a local hospital, is appropriate in his behavior and accomplished at daily living skills. There are a lot of supports available within the community to help folks with cognitive diagnoses live reasonably independent lives. :)

Best Answer

Unless you are on a civil commitment, you cannot be forced to take meds. You have to be certified by a doctor to be put on a civil commitment and you still get to speak to a judge. Once you are not on one anymore you must be certified to be safe in order to be released. So according to this people who are not safe are being forced to take meds.

Best Answer

I didn't know that. I'm just going off my personal experiences with mentally ill people . My friend who refuse his meds was dancing in the middle of a busy street until his feet were busted out in the back then he drove his car into a bank window after that he ( another incident ) he drove his next car on the express way at least 100 miles per hr and was in a police chase , after all this they put him in the institution and let him back out on the streets . I am scared for his and others lives.

Best Answer

any one of those actions should have been enough to place him on a civil commitment where he could be forced to take meds.

Best Answer

Typically, medication is only one part of tackling mental illness. It makes the symptoms more manageable for the sufferer but most still need a therapy modality they respond to in order to really have a chance at improvement.<br />
The scary part of meds is that most do not want to be on them and, after they feel better from taking them, lots of them choose to stop - thus returning to the maladaptive ways that lead them to medication in the first place. <br />
The bottom line with any mental illness is that the sufferer cannot and will not improve if THEY don't put the effort into improving. So, even if you had people jamming pills down their throats, that doesn't help them - it just removes "some" of the issues on a temporary basis.

Best Answer

Thanks I didn't think of it like that , I thought the meds would pretty much do the job . Well, I'm not a doctor but my heart goes out when I see people Jeffers like that our society should put more into helping them and getting more programs for them as we'll.

Best Answer