cartels are deeply rooted in the USA now...from illegal marijuana farming on federal parklands in california to meth production and smuggling throughout the natiuon as well. They are keenly organized with a central power structure that is really unbelievable. found out yesterday that the sinaloa cartel is now recruiting the MS-13 for pacific coast based atrocities...along with some other savage street gangs and trained killers. How can the mexican govt retain any semblance of control or order over these entities?
seekjoy seekjoy 31-35, M 18 Answers Feb 29, 2012

I think it's hard to judge the outcome right now. The Mexican government deserves credit for fighting the cartels head-on, but they really had no choice. The problem has always been that the majority of Mexican people are poor, and official corruption has become a part of the culture. Rich and powerful drug lords find it easy to co opt police, and even army officials. <br />
But the narcos move to extend their control into the US in a huge mistake. Sure the demand and the money is here - But our culture is different and police, military and government officials aren't as easy to buy out. We don't turn drug lords into folk heroes, we kill them or put them away in prison. I think the US will eventually do what it did in Columbia. Direct military support to fight drug terrorists and support the local government. After more than 10 years that plan has worked and the Columbian government has beaten the narcos and taken back control.

Best Answer

I think it will continue to escalate because of the insatiable US taste for drugs. I do think it is time to legalize drugs and take the profit out of it, as stated in another comment, but the idea of having the US government in charge of one more thing--especially drugs--scares me maybe even more than the violence in Mexico. I don't agree that the Mexican government is doing enough to fight the drug cartels. Not many people seem to know that Mexico has great wealth due to its oil reserves, and that in fact they are the third largest lender to the US. The fact is, the Mexican ruling class has a long history of simply stealing most of their country's wealth for themselves, while top bureaucrats continue to funnel a large proportion of government revenues toward feathering their own nests instead of trying to solve the immense social, fiscal, education, infrastructure, healthcare, and unemployment problems that Mexico has suffered from for decades. No wonder many Mexicans would face death to get into the US. Compared to us, many Mexicans have a bleak future. I feel compassion for the average Mexican trying to make a better future in N American, but I also feel that eventually the infusion of millions of illegal aliens in the US will begin to cause problems that are undeniable for even college professors who sit comfortably in their offices, while border town citizens continue to be overworked and sometimes exposed to danger because of too many non-tax-paying ‘citizens’ and border violence. The US and Mexican governments could have long ago equitably solved this problem if they had really wanted to but there was/is too much money to be made on both sides if border violence and illegal alien side effects continue as long as possible.

Best Answer

In my opinion this is beyond the control of the governments. It won't stop until the people muster up the courage to bring it to an end. Unfortunately everybody is either scared (with good reason) or in with the cartels.<br />
I think all these guys that are committing these atrocities should be interrogated and put down. I know it sounds bad and I hate the thought of condemning another person but I would much rather see one evil man die than another 10, 20, 100, or thousand innocents die.

Best Answer

Possibly. And the usa will be next, unless drugs are legalized soon

Best Answer

MS 13 works with Los Zetas, innocents have always been at high risk, the Zetas have put a new spin on things. They try to be tops in demonic behavior and they are winning

Best Answer

It's terrible. Sadly Mexico cannot fight them effectively because they are too rich, violent, and well organized. Corruption has become the name of the game.

Best Answer

Our mistake in allowing it to happen is that we haven't sent in the Special forces and marines to round up all the cartels down there and shoot them. Fix that problem real quick.<br />
Easier to ask for forgiveness then permission so I don't think The mexican gov't would have to much of a problem with it<br />
Then maybe mexico can actually be a real country again

Best Answer

Your projection makes sense to me. What do the mafia motherlands: Italy, Ireland, and (now, apparently) Mexico have in common? But they'll never get past our sex-educated stronghold of San Francisco. That's a diversion from a planned rear-entry assault on the Texas border. Armageddon Las Vegas, 2033!

Best Answer

I think legalization is the answer. take the profit out of it. <br />
Also, time to take the gloves off. No more capture - lets go after them and kill like we would other enemy. Why do we force planes full of drugs down instead of blowing them out of the air and capture the criminals instead of just killing them?<br />
(Anyone who thinks the current drug situation results in victimless crimes isn't paying attention.)

Best Answer

the way to handle it sadly is the same way Pablo Escobar was handled

Best Answer

seems to be much different this time. many more tentacles.

Best Answer

Just means a lot more work

Best Answer

someone has to supply all the drugs to America...

Best Answer

The mexican south does have a semblance of order.

Best Answer

The government is so poor they can't fight them. The USA is having trouble and we have some resouces.

Best Answer

they are some violently brutal rich &amp; pyscho hombres. bad mix.

Best Answer

Something to fear and try to combat.

Best Answer

Why is the Mexican government poor though. Mexico isn't a poor country? They have many, many mineral resources, oil, a good pool of labor with a large trading partner nearby and a vibrant tourist industry?

Best Answer

theyre not poor at all. in fact...if you keep up with foreign policy mag or the economist...one of the trends expected to take place within mexico is that the monopolys of the billionaire businessmen (the cell phone guy, textile guy, others) will start to get involved in global trading and not just within their country. mexico has all those things you just said Twyla..good points.

Best Answer

There are places free or relatively free of crime and drugs in Mexico. The major cities and statyes bordering on the US is where nearly all the drug cartel activity is.<br />
I left Oregon less than a year ago due to all the drug activity. Mexican cartels were likely about 25% of it. But most of the drug farms on Federal lands was grown by locals as well as people moving there from California.<br />
I now reside in Panama. Except for Panama City and Colon, there is virtually no activity. But US planes from the CIA (commonly called the Cocaine Import Agency throughout Latin America ) fly cocaine and marijuana to the US (refer you to Ollie North and Barry Bond's Congressional testimonies stating the same.

Best Answer

Well with the rise of community self defense forces (or vigilante groups) increasing we may see the end of narco stranglehold on the country. <br />
Its about time mexico steps up and fixes the problem because no one else was gonna do it for them.<br />
Although the main issue is the demand for drugs in the states and elsewhere we may actually see a drop in supply.

Best Answer