goingnowhere90 goingnowhere90 22-25 40 Answers Apr 1, 2013 in Music

It's easy to just assume it's about drugs... but if you actually look at some of the lyrics, it's clearly about a toxic on off relationship. "Guns hidden under our petticoats" is about sex, and the fact that it can be used like a weapon. Saying that they're never going to quit it shows them going in a viscous cycle and they're running from their better judgements... not the cops... they say it here: " Well I think we better go, seriously better go. Said it's better than hanging on". If you're being lazy then it just looks like it's about drugs. And fyi, chocolate is an aphrodisiac, so he can smell the sexual tension between them

Best Answer

I think you're looking to deep into the song

Best Answer

I think the lead singer has been quoted saying 'guns under our petticoats' is a line his sister told him about hiding syringes of heroine in their clothes as kids. Chocolate is a slang term for heroine. The majority is about their encounters with authority figures from the perspective of youth.

Best Answer

its about smokin the ganj ya dumbasses

Best Answer

love it.

Best Answer

Although almost impossible to understand a word, the lyrics actually relate to the distressing international commercial situation that prevents Cadbury's to manufacturer the chocolate they market in North America. The chocolate is manufactured instead by Hersheys under a complex OEM agreement. "Guns hidden under our petticoats" is a metaphor for bringing in original Cadburys chocolate from the United Kingdom into North America by disguising it as a different confectionery.<br />
"We're never gonna quit it" - those who have visited the United Kingdom and tasted real Cadburys chocolate, specifically Dairy Milk will know that it's extremely difficult to quit, no other chocolate manufacturer can get close to the unique taste - perhaps because of its one and a half glasses of milk in every half pound bar of chocolate.<br />
"Well I think we better go" - refers to the takeover of Cadburys by Kraft foods in 2009<br />
"Said the feds are here you know, Said Rebecca better know" - relates to a prominent figure at the European Union (her name is Rebecca) who ruled that Cadburys had to change it's iconic phrase in 2010 from imperial units (one and a half glasses of milk in every half pound bar of milk chocolate) to metric (426ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227g of milk chocolate) despite Trading Standards having no issue with it. This undoubtedly had a significant effect on its charm and appeal after 80 years.

Best Answer

I didn't get the lyrics at all, but now I do! Thanks :) I like this song aswell

Best Answer

While I agree with most saying that it's a metaphor for doing drugs, I also think it could be about a forbidden relationship (possibly in which they do drugs and commit crimes). It's about knowing how wrong it is to be in that certain relationship and continuing it despite how much it gets them in.

Best Answer

I don't know what this dude is trying to say, it's only about what it means to you personally. I do however know to be fact that when I did drugs, the heroin I got in Amsterdam smelled like burnt chocolate when we smoked it.

Best Answer

I think that the song is about smoking drugs. You can tell when he sings about running from the cops, that they're never going to quit it, and also he talks about how he smells like "chocolate". I think that he is using chocolate as a metaphor for whatever drug it is they are doing. He sings about how him and his car smell like "chocolate". They also talk about "smoking it", so that's really a dead giveaway.

Best Answer

drugs, cannabis i think.

Best Answer

Yeah.. At first, I thought its a love song.. Because of the beats.. :)
Haha!

Best Answer

it's about drugs!!!!!!

Best Answer

Well in the song they keep saying, "we're never going to quit it"<br />
Also had to do with cops lol <br />
breaking the law and never going to quit!?

Best Answer

Its about the chocolate that matty bought from the corner shop when he was younger which in time escalated to pukkkkaaaaa kush G him and his homies be blazing up in da back of his whip hence (my car smells like chocolate) rebecca was a bird that he fingered on the back seats of the school bus and "guns under peticoats means his shlong that was erect under his coat as he hid the snake from the drivers view as he was ************ over rebeccas young meat

Best Answer

I think its about causing mischief as a bored kid growing up in a small English town.

Best Answer

this song is actually about matthew's sister's heroin addiction. chocolate is a slang word for heroin. his sister used to call her syringes "guns", hence the lyric "guns hidden under our petticoats". also, this song wasnt meant to come off his computer, but somehow it ended up on soundcloud xx

Best Answer

The 1975's song is certainly loaded with marijuana imagery but there is also a deeper meaning to these lyrics. First, let's address the drug slang used throughout the song. 'Gungeon', 'gungun', 'gunga' and 'gunja' are all street synonyms for marijuana, while the verb 'to gun' means to inject a drug, and thus 'gun' is also a slang term for an hypodermic needle - but, of course, the needles/injection imagery doesn't apply to cannabis which is usually smoked. The hidden guns are secreted stashes of marijuana.<br />
'Black' is also street slang for drugs and it can refer to opium and methamphetamine as well as pot, but in this particular song the context is such that the term is obviously being used to refer to marijuana. The imagery of the phraseology "we're dressed in black, head to toe" is therefore twofold ... street drug dealers frequently dress all in black, but saying that you are dressed in black from head to toe is also another way of saying that you have a lot of pot concealed upon your person.<br />
Similarly, 'chocolate' is common slang for certain street drugs, the term being used to refer to both opium and amphetamine in addition to pot. Once again, it refers to cannabis within the context of this song, and it might possibly even refer to synthetic cannabis. OTOH, being legal, synthetic cannabis would not require its users "hide their guns" and I have no idea why the petticoat imagery was chosen (rather than some alternative more masculine term for the song's protagonists' underwear) other than it has the effect of creating the impression of something being the opposite of what it appears to be at first sight.<br />
And that brings us to the probable deeper meaning of these lyrics. IMO the phrase "we go where nobody knows" is a reference to the opening line of the Coldplay song "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" which is, "Where do we go nobody knows?" The line in "Chocolate" that ends "... gotta get it, go! and play it cool" is a possible clue to that connection. The Coldplay song is similarly open to multiple interpretations but for me its lyrics are basically about people that are confused and lost in their life. Even though God gave them style, grace and a smile upon their face they still don't know where they are going. The "Chocolate" song is similarly about people who are confused or misguided about their drug use. That would be any drug use, but more specifically the socio-acceptable use of illegal pot and possibly legal synthetic cannabinoids.<br />
Finally, the official song lyrics for this song (http://the1975.com/lyrics) state the first line of the lyrics as being, "C A L L I T A S P L I T B E C A U S E I K N O W T H A T Y O U W I L L" while if you listen to the video Matthew Healy is clearly singing "Call it a spliff ..." which is yet another marijuana reference in this song (a 'spliff' is well-rolled joint/cigarette that contains a mixture of both tobacco and marijuana).

Best Answer

The song is about a heroin addiction. Obviously the subject is smoking it but I think there's also a bit of intravenous use involved. "guns hidden under our petticoats" guns being a metaphor for syringes. Though it could also just mean guns because we all know they end up involved with heavy drug users as well. Obviously the addiction has gotten to the point where the subject has said they were gonna quit, probably multiple times, to the point where nobody believes it anymore. They know they'll never quit. I mean there really isn't much else to say.<br />
It's an awesome tune! Very upbeat and vibey. Though it's written on a very sad and serious subject.

Best Answer

This is more likely about heroin than cannabis. Guns are rarely a tool of the local pot dealer. <br />
It also sounds like the 'girlfriend' that said you'll never quit it unless you taste/try it, eventually got addicted and died of an overdose, and guilt is put forward by the singer/dealer.<br />
The acoustic version is much darker.

Best Answer

I think when they use the phrase "smells like chocolate" they are referring to a drug called hash that looks like chocolate. you smoke hash so that's why their car smells like hash (chocolate). running from the cops because they have guns and drugs, and then with the girl i think he maybe had to chose between her or the drugs

Best Answer

I think its about criminals doing something bad like drugs or robbing a bank. But I can't be certain. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Best Answer

It actually has to do with being a gangsta. They have guns under their pettycoats. But I still don't know what the car smelling like chocolate means.

Best Answer

i think you all need to listen to the first line of the song...<br />
Hey now, call it a SPLIFF cause you know that you will!<br />
Spliff, being Weed; being MARIJUANA! theyre on about blazin' up some doobies :)

Best Answer

I believe that it has something to do with drugs... and terrorism... It says "with guns hidden under our <br />
."

Best Answer