Okay, I'm editing this comment. I have absolutely no problem with the freedom of speech. I think a lot of people are reading into my question TOO much. I asked you what you thought of Chick-fil-a, I didn't ask you what you thought of my opinion about Chick-fil-a.
Athru Athru 22-25, M 12 Answers Aug 11, 2012 in WTK

What about freedom of speech?

Best Answer

I think the whole conversation was put out of control really. I believe the owner of the franchise just stated he supports traditional marriage. It may have been religously ba<x>sed but many think that w/o strong relgious views too. It only became an issue when the government officals like Ramm Emmanuel stated chi-fil-a wasn't welcome in his town. That made the issue a political one and actually changed the conversation. It was sparked mostly by the reaction with those in goverment making statements. The owner is a private citizen and is entitled to his view whether others agree with it or not. The demonstrations from the first group were to support free speech and traditional marriage. The second ones were a reaction to that. To me the concern is trying to censor speech by threatening remarks by elected officals. They do that in authoritarian countries. The US doesn't want that. Trust me.

Best Answer

own opinions are great, Mine is just NOT his.

Best Answer

I have no issue with people voicing an opinion I disagree with. But funding groups actively trying to deny people equal rights under the law is not cool. And as for their beliefs. They are not running a church and should keep their beliefs out of the business. Again just an opinion.

Best Answer

The problem is it would play both ways here. One could say that people shouldn't speak about gat rights as well because it's their opinion. It can't be OK one way and not the other. That is what the first demonstration was about. The process of gaining rights is defined two ways really. Some use a religous context when discussing the issue, others use sci and history as their context. The real issue is the granted right is social only. The society as a whole has to decide if it's allowable. This is gettig to deep not though. LOL =) I've typed enough.

Best Answer

How does it go both ways? Last time I checked there was no movement amongst gay people to take away the rights of straight people.

Best Answer

The right was granted recently in a few states by judges in most cases based on all social arguments. When making decissions of this kind it's best to look back a history to see what the outcome was. This idea is actually not as new as people may think. It went by other categories in the past. Finding out how it impacted those socities is the best way to determine the best course.

Best Answer

Since they don't have one I think it was a great idea.<br />
It is so funny how liberals and bigots can only hear what they want when a person doesn't agree with their view point.<br />
And the Appreciation Day really showed what people thought when a business was attacked for no reason by people who have zero sense........Loved the Chicken sandwich

Best Answer

I think its disgusting. People are using support for free speech as an excuse to support a business man who hates on people. Call it what you will, but that's the bottom line. <br />
"The real issue at hand is not freedom of speech or same-sex marriage but Chick-fil-A's secretive funding of documented anti-gay hate groups. The national organization Campus Pride made this clear last week in releasing "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A ." Campus Pride specifically called upon our nation's student leaders to share the truth about Chick-fil-A and its funding of radical-right-wing organizations and documented hate groups.<br />
Through its family-controlled nonprofit arm, Chick-fil-A profits have funded such groups as Eagle Forum, Exodus International, Family Research Council, and Focus on the Family. These groups proudly and aggressively work against the rights of LGBT people, advocating their criminalization, psychological abuse, and death. Chick-fil-A has not disputed any of these facts. The "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A" are well documented, showing the funneling of Chick-fil-A profits to anti-gay causes and even a hate group, as determined by the Southern Poverty Law Center ."<br />
Huffington Post<br />
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/5-simple-facts-about-chick-fil-a_b_1751404.html

Best Answer

Wow. you seem like the only one who has actually read my question and not my opinion.

Best Answer

I have a hard time with the word hate groups in general. Basically you can call anything a hate group if they don't agree with you. Some pay money to fund what they believe. This is how limiting freedom of speech and thought starts. Similar tactics have been used in the past. Turn those who disagree with you into your enemy. I have realatives that lived through that and fled their countries to get away from that. The US has to be careful when dealing with control speech. It can get out of hand fast if it's aloud too.

Best Answer

Let me put it to you this way: If he came out and publicly said: "I don't think black people or women shouldn't have the right to vote," I wouldn't support him or his business. This is no different to me.

Best Answer

I'll be honest, I do disagree with their opinion. Simply because they're making me feel like I don't have a place in this world. I wouldn't mind it if they backed off and left everyone else alone. But people who are Anti - Gay..TBH, they terrify me. Right now, they have the power to take away any right I should have.

Best Answer

what do you mean by that?

Best Answer

Sorry, wasn't sure if your question was for me. I've had family members arrested and held in the past because of what they thought. I know of people who've been blackballed by their govt so it's hard to get a job or send their kids to good schools. When I hear elected officals saying things like he can't get a business license in my town because of his belief, it reminds me of what my realitves have told me. It starts small like that then grows in the society allows it. I know people who went through bad times in the cultrual revolution in China also. People can be swayed fast when using languand like hate speech or hate groups when it's really just differnece of opinion.

Best Answer

That would be fine with me. When a group is referred to as a hate group because they have a belief that is different than mine, then I could do the same. That causes division and the problem starts rolling from there. It can roll fast if it's allowed too.

Best Answer

I wasn't ever saying that he shouldn't get a job anywhere because of his own beliefs. What my problem is, is that they say this and it's speaking against MY rights as a gay and as a company, people who are Anti-Gay and homophobic will listen and it only makes it alright for them to continue their hatred. People can have their own opinions about the LGBT community but you don't have to shout it from the rooftops.

Best Answer

I don't think they view it as hatred. They view it as preservation. Their might be some who say they hate another person because of their lifestyle but I think the chic-fil-a incident was to fold in philosophy. One to say to the govt, you can't penalize a person based on his belief and freedom of speech. Two to show support for what they also believe. The incident was actually more serious than people realize to my mind. When govt officials start making open statments about beliefs, that is serious to my mind. Many cultures have been terrorized and controlled using similar tactics. As for the rights of groups, the society as a whole usually determines what behaviors will be acquired. I understand your frustration and am sorry to hear about it. Not all cultures view realtionships the same. The other side has said they think the family and traditonal marriage is under attack. Words like attack and hate group rile people up and really just divide the nation.

Best Answer

Its there right to feel the anyway they want about it. Ppl need to realize you cant force ppl to believe in what u do.

Best Answer