growwhereyouglow growwhereyouglow 36-40, F 21 Answers Jan 27, 2013 in Struggles

Theoretically, I have no issue with it. Consenting adults can enter into whatever kinds of relationships they want.<br />
HOWEVER polygamy in practice does not involve that much consent and has a massive gender imbalance. When you have groups like the Fundamentalist LDS that just give fourteen year-old girls to old men as 'wives' you have a supremely ****** up situation that's not at all consenting. <br />
You can extend that to all sorts of other cultures with polygamy - although I honestly don't know enough about their practices to comment that much. Just the idea of a world where a man can have many wives but a woman can't have many husbands is not one which sits well.<br />
So you remove the inherit sexism and polygamy is fine.

Best Answer

Very well said, I agree.

Best Answer

And don't forget, a handful of elders get a group of wives ( they need 7 to achieve the highest levels of heaven ) so where does that leave the rest of the "worthy" men? The lost boys...

Best Answer

No completely opposed. It's a curious situation anyway.

Best Answer

I don't really like the idea of that or promiscuity ( pretty similar) I'd never do it... :)

Best Answer

sister wives

Best Answer

doesn't sound unnatural

Best Answer

I think it's creepy. Polyamory seems much more likely to be fair to all involved, where polygamy seems to be skewed toward the man's wants and needs. Just seems like a way for creepy guys who'd normally have trouble getting 1 girl to get 3 or 4.

Best Answer

I think the behaviors of adults affect kids, but there are worse things to affect kids than polygamy. Closed community polygamy is an evil when tied to religion. Open polygamy I can deal with. I would not do it, but I think the government should stay out of our pants. I wouldn't want a part-time marriage.

Best Answer

great grandfather was a polygamist...i don't really care if it makes others happy then good for em...just fix the tax code so they only get benefits for one marriage.

Best Answer

I never thought about the tax code...good point.

Best Answer

that's the only reason they outlawed it at the turn of the 20th century and mainstream mormons had to abandon the practice due to tax abuse or advantge essentially

Best Answer

Yah, uh huh... but it appeared as a "revelation", uh huh.

Best Answer

One spouse at a time.

Best Answer

Not a good idea. It should be one person giving all his or her love to one person.

Best Answer

Good idea if the man could equal between his wives .

Best Answer

Good game but i still prefer scrabble.

Best Answer

I'm a Scrabble master!

Best Answer

One wife damn near killed me, why would I want more

Best Answer

;} sorry about that

Best Answer

Selfish man--desperate women.

Best Answer

Different strokes for different folks

Best Answer

Not something I could be part of, but to each his (and their) own.

Best Answer

I see it as constant struggle and emotional land mines everywhere...in essence...toxic. Even the documentaries and shows I've seen, there are constant struggles, yet the wife will present a smile and act as if it's fine...yet you can see the tension clearly... :/

Best Answer

That's what I would imagine. But some want the right to discover that for themselves.

Best Answer