RCampbell90 RCampbell90 22-25, M 28 Answers Nov 30, 2012 in Politics

European Socialism seems to work pretty nicely. ba<x>sed on remarks I hear living in the south, I think most americans don't actually know what socialism is.

Best Answer

@englishsteve... that's just it. I don't remember being taught much of anything about socialism, except that it doesn't work. Specifically I remember an activity we did in 8th grade, which explained the difference in capitalism (workers make items of various qualities and competition is encouraged) and communism (everyone makes the same thing and it's all sh*tty quality) - and socialism was just kind of lumped with communism. So we were basically taught that capitalism is the best and only thing that works. I can't speak for the education of all americans, because things vary not only state to state, but also between counties, but the idea most people seem to have about socialism is that they're going to lose all their hard-earned money and it's going to be used to pay for some cracked out homeless persons healthcare at their expense. I shared this way of thinking until I took some higher level political science and history classes at my university. Each system has it's pros and cons, but socialism is not the evil system some americans make it out to be. A lot of people saying these things also say Obama is the anti-christ... I won't even go down that road right now, lol.

Best Answer

If you don't like Socialism, feel free to stay off my Federally funded Interstate Highway System.

Best Answer

free?!
NOTHING is ever free.

Best Answer

sweden, denmark, the netherlands, and france all seem to have fairly successful social systems

Best Answer

Then why do they keep trying to vote it out? Once you get into socialism, it's very hard to vote it out. If you give me the same amount as they pay in their taxes toward medical, I'll buy you a policy that pays for everything too..

Best Answer

I love it. I am a socialist.

Best Answer

I know capitalism. I know it doesn't work for most people.

Best Answer

I'll throw some wealthy socialist countries out there for you:
Japan, Singapore, France,Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Austria, to name a few.

Best Answer

and who calls on Japan Singapore france germany sweden denmark norway and austria when they are being invaded?

Best Answer

Who's being invaded?

Best Answer

The only kind I like is where everyone is giving someone a back massage.

Best Answer

Sweden...mmm.<br />
Capitalism gives me benzene in my air and fracking chemicals in my water supply...and I do mean where I live. People living where I do, in my area of the county, have a 200% greater chance of getting cancer.

Best Answer

Parts of the Soviet Block suffered from some of the very worst pollution on earth.

Best Answer

...And they weren't a democracy, they were a totalitarian state, with a long history of the elites treating the commoners as totally expendable.
...I think that a mixed socialist/capitalist democracy seems to work better than pure socialism or pure capitalism.
...I define "working better" as a happy, peaceful, prosperous society with happy, healthy, and secure people.
Our current society has lots of relative poverty, lots of dissatisfaction, an undercurrent of violence and fear.

Best Answer

Extremes of any kind tend to bite you in the butt and that includes laze fare capitalism and communism. The simple truth is the entire developed world these days is somewhere in between. Capitalism tends to provide the fastest growing economies and great social progress, but it can bite you in the butt with corruption and exploitation. Hence people have slowly and carefully adopted socialist ideas whenever it seems prudent as a way to combat the worst side effects of capitalism.

Best Answer

a word that most Americans seem to throw around in their daily political battles as if they actually understood its meaning and historical context

Best Answer

i don't believe in any "isms" Lost - if you could see me past your own anger you would already know that

Best Answer

it's sad how many assumptions you make - as if understanding something makes you a worshiper of it

Best Answer

Since it has killed millions of people, destroyed lives, taken property and halted a LOT of progress in several nations... I don't like it at all.

Best Answer

Ain't it something... there's no such thing as a free lunch... America will find out...
Especially when the free stuff runs out... EBT RIOTS 2014

Best Answer

Some monkeys are still too dim to recognize we are social animals and to question how such a term came to be demonized as opposed to the communist one in common use before the U.S.S.R. collapse that gave lie to the implicit threat so a new bugbear was required. <br />
Meanwhile back in the u.s. rapidly adding an s.r. as the monkeys banged there new computers and watched their new TV's the real threat was at steady work.<br />
"What is more important in world history? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some agitated Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?"<br />
Zbigniew Brzezinski," National Security Adviser in the Carter Administration<br />
These operations, started under Papa bushes term as head spook of the CIA, were funneling funds through the Bank of Commerce and Credit International (BCCI)<br />
and were mixing with financing for Maktab al Khidmat lil-mujahidin al Arab (MaK) bin Laden's first association with the Muslim Brotherhood as a major financier after graduating in civil engineering also in 1979.<br />
By '85 the CIA had implemented three secret actions in Afghanistan, to supply the Mujadheddin with military advisers and Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, to engage in guerilla actions in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan along with British MI6 and Pakistani ISI support coordinated with Afghan opposition, and support ISI activity to recruit Muslims from all over the world to come fight in Pakistan with the Mujaheddin.<br />
By 1992 the communist regime was over but Tajik and Uzbek forces in a Kabul free of Pashtun control for the first time in three centuries soon fell to ethnic conflict and by '94 the country was reduced into fiefdoms of local warlords with next to no unity between them.<br />
This was inconvenient for oil interests who were finding the area attractive and had begun investing in the region like 1991, when Chevron committed to investing $5 billion in the Tenghiz oil fields in Kazakhstan.<br />
A pipeline across a secure Afghanistan would be profitable as well as denying Iran and Russia interests in the energy resources of the area, a win win situation in which many seemed to think the Taliban to be most capable of enforcing the security necessary to the venture.<br />
By the late 90's U.S. Policy in the area was highly criticized called arrogant and “a cluster of confusions” with our current involvement starting shortly thereafter.<br />
And the stoopid monkeys fear the scoii of society as an evil while the enemey saunters on.... we all get what we deserve

Best Answer
Best Answer

A senseless social construct that cost the lives of 140 million civilians in the 20tg century alone. It has never worked and cannot be made to work. It is contrary to human nature and human nature will never accommodate socialism.

Best Answer

Your thinking of communism not socialism

Best Answer

The difference between socialism and communism is the difference between p i s s flavored s h i t and s h i t flavored p i s s

Best Answer

S'alright.

Best Answer

Free public education, paved roads, food inspection for safety, A military for National Defence... We already live it...

Best Answer

Is that what you focused on?

Best Answer

LOL FREE = shiny object for the simple minded!
its FREE so its OK!
LOL

Best Answer

Again, maybe I should have just said... EVERY KID GETS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE AN EDUCATION, NOT JUST THE KIDS OF WEALTHY PEOPLE... are you that freakin NUMB ... I DID NOT SAY FREE PAVED ROADS...

Best Answer

It sure has turned out better for most people than capitalism. The efficiency of the self-regulating free market . . . my ***.

Best Answer

Where and when? Where did the socialist get the money that they gave to others?

Best Answer

Ya mean like the money Americans take from the middle class and working class and spend on a useless military that wastes more money than the rest of the world combined?

Best Answer

Not such a good idea.

Best Answer

A nation with a generous welfare state, with healthcare and university systems that do not charge fees, is a social democracy, not a socialist nation. A social democracy pays a lot of taxes, but the institution of private property, and the ability to form and shut down businesses, prevail.<br />
Socialism is the doctrine that the institution of private property is the source of many social and economic evils. But if private ownership is to be abolished, ownership defaults to the nation-state. Therefore socialism turns most of the economy into a series of govt. departments. In practice, socialism means that the government owns and operates factories, transport, wholesale trade, large retailers, health care, and reticulated services. Small shops, self-employed tradespeople, and small family farms may remain legal. In the USSR, the only legal way to get rich was on royalties as an author or composer.<br />
Nobody has figured out how to have a market economy without private property.<br />
Govt. officials have no incentive to do a good job, because they don't reap the rewards from making good decisions (keeping cost low, avoiding waste, making things that people will buy etc.) Therefore socialism means that the economy turns into a collection of government agencies, with all of the problems that afflict such agencies.<br />
Socialism was invented in the 19th century, at a time when private property, market economies, and the perversities of bureaucracy were all not well understood. Socialism replaces one set of evils with another worse set. In practice, socialism is incapable of innovation, The politicisation of the price setting process means that many prices are badly wrong.<br />
Chavez is trying to build a socialist society of sorts in Venezuela.

Best Answer

You can do it in two ways. It may either seek to serve the interest of the majority over a distinguished minority or the other way around. If you do the former, most people will love it, if you do the latter, most people will hate it. You know. Just like capitalism or dictatorship.

Best Answer

Its wonderful , Until you run out of other peoples money.

Best Answer

That's like saying "what do you think of pizza?" There are different types. I do not disagree with some distribution of wealth for the betterment of the whole, but personally, I really like being able to make a profit and keep it for myself.

Best Answer