I'm speaking here in Western canonical terms, if i may stretch that term slightly. I'm going ask this question and return to it until i can think of a question more relevant to me. I don't ask questions often anymore, and i talk to myself as much as others here. However i love data for its own sake and the best answers provoke thought, and draw me deeper into myself. It's poetic irony of course that i need others to do this.
turtlesplash turtlesplash 41-45, M 6 Answers Apr 23 in Health

I've deconstructed christianity from a philosophical viewpoint and it works from presuppositions right through. I find pantheism/panentheism, atheism and agnosticism do that. I've yet to find another belief system that works philosophically, but I'm sure they exist. I haven't explored islam in the same way. <br />
All these people who consider christianity and rational thought as mutually exclusive are almost certainly incapable of genuine philosophical enquiry. (which applies to most theists as well). <br />
To answer your question... They both attempt to construct meaning from a set of inputs.<br />
Venn diagram- one circle christians, another circle philosophers, some section overlapping.

Best Answer

Not much in my opinion. A philosopher leaves room for the possibility of error in his / her thinking. Questions always remain for the philosopher. Christians have doctrine and dogma, and any questions about life, have to be answered within the parameters of that doctrine and dogma. A Christian would call the philosopher, 'worldly'.

Best Answer

you make a critical distinction that makes me want to ask you another question - would you concede that the measure of Christian behaviour lies in how Christ-like it is?

Best Answer

Yes. That is part of the reason I believe there really are very few Christians or none at all in existence today. Also Mark 16:15-18.

Best Answer

do you think it's possible that Christ was a philosopher who stumbled into something so big that it blew his mind, and then subsequently much of those around him?

Best Answer

Christians only need to believe in the teachings of Christ. Christ did all the philosophizing for them.

Best Answer

that's the problem isn't it? too many people who call themselves Christians actually think this way

Best Answer

Its comforting to have a simplistic view of the world.

Best Answer

blah, blah, blah... Both Christians and philosophers believe that "in the grand scheme of things, they are insignificant"... Either because there is a higher power or a higher purpose, neither can live their life completely, because they both feel empty... Paragraph 1.. :) *Damn, I'm smooth!*

Best Answer

but, hang on...

Best Answer

there's some glib power in your play on the difference between the two's values, but i think it's actually the opposite in truth - they both are obsessed the problem of human agency BECAUSE they think it's the most worthwhile problem

Best Answer

Now you're talking in riddles, just like Jesus.. :)

Best Answer

"in the grand scheme of things, they are insignificant".....Not even close to the Christian belief ...

Best Answer

that reply short-circuited some hypocrisy in brain

Best Answer

Roadwarriors i mean

Best Answer

The search of Eternity.....?

Best Answer