BravestOfHeart BravestOfHeart 18-21, F 6 Answers May 1, 2012

With Apple, the source files are sealed. The code that constucts what you see on the screen is hidden from the user. For the average end user this is not a problem because you don't need to see the source code, and an inexperienced user can break the code itself. But developers cannot use Apple code. Android however, publishes the code libraries that make up the apps that you see so that developers can use this as a scaffold to build their applications. Open source projects are denoted by a mutual sharing of ideas and are often created solely by a community of volunteers. Linux operating systems are an example. Anything from Apache including their webserver which is the most popular in the world. Open source projects benefit from the fact that if something is buggy, a programmer can go in and modify. Take chrome for example. When an error or exploit is found for chrome the turnaround time for a patch is about two days, whereas Microsoft will have to wait a lot longer than that for their developers to figure it out, fix it, test it and deploy it. Open source projects are released under licenses that allow the end user to modify and redistribute so that a piece of software can go through many iterations and hopefully come out better.

Best Answer

Understood... Now, your personally opinion: Do you prefer apple or android?
Also, Thank you very much!

Best Answer

I am a programmer. I contribute to a bunch of different open source projects. I do not own any apple products. Because if it doesn't do what I want it to do, I am stuck. You have to think about this, its a software axiom. Software that does 80% of what you want is totally useless and not worth the money. But I am a power user what it comes to any type of software or hardware. I am biased in that way. If you want something flashy and idiot proof. Apple makes that, if you want something you can customize and make your own go with Android.

Best Answer

as far as programming and usage of third parties, apple has rules and guidelines guarding the way they want things to be, where android has none of that.

Best Answer

ohhh..........got it!! Thanks! Very much!

Best Answer

Android is open to people creating things for use on it. Apple regulates everything and gets paid for everything.

Best Answer

Thank you love!

Best Answer

I'm not familiar with android's, but open source means that anyone can access their programs. are Android apps free?

Best Answer

They can be if you know how. :)

Best Answer

gotcha. So you have to pay extra to use xcode, while programming for androids is free. makes sense.

Best Answer

Most of them are pretty much free... However, it might cost to upgrade but most are always free....
Thanks hun

Best Answer

Open source softwares mean these softwares are free and need no license fee for personal use............ source codes of such software is available openly...... and can be used, customized and value additions can be done to it.............. while many independent developers are promoting open source software for the sake of knowledge sharing and innovations........ softwares like linux, android etc are open source while other companies like apple and microsoft are against open source and their products are licensed and highly priced......

Best Answer

Thank you!! But would you agree or disagree that open source is better?

Best Answer

Open source is surely better........ in fact open source is the first choice of really intelligent ones........ not so intelligent ones create something by chance and afraid to share that with others... !!

Best Answer