I have always felt like this..ever since I was a small child I always preferred the company of older people. When I was 5, I hung around with some neighbors who were 9 and 10. When I was 8, my best friend was 11. I have always had one buddy my age, but I gotta say it has always been a shallow type of relationship, nothing too close or trusting. The best explanation I can come up with is that I matured too early, emotionally, and I have very little to nothing in common with young people. I am now 21 and I would love to have friends in their 40s or 50s, but people here aren't so open-minded. Actually, it's not so much a matter of physical age as it is a matter of maturity. The person I got along with the best was 30 years older than me. Sadly, he died last week. I try not to think about it, because it makes me weep. Anyway, I feel alone in the world, again. I can't relate to people my age, they seem so shallow and insensitive, it's draining. Do I need therapy, or something?
MantisReligiosa MantisReligiosa 22-25, F 13 Answers Sep 29, 2010

the biggest threat to young people is peer pressure, seems to me you have a strong mind and can think for yourself,thats a blessing not a weakness, be proud of who you are

Best Answer

Throughout my whole childhood, there were barely any kids in the neighborhood, so I became friends with my parents' friends, which ended up making me more mature in the end. I think that once I started making an effort to hang with kids my age, I may have lost a few brain cells. Kids in my generation are idiots.

Best Answer

there is nothing wrong with wanting older friends.. but ppl your age are more party type general... where the older ones have been there an done that so they dont really care if they do or dont

Best Answer

I sometimes feel like that, I had to grow up pretty fast because of certain events. A lot of people my age would not think like I did. I guess since at home I always felt like an adult that I was able to relate to people older than me. It kinda helped because I learned what to watch out for in life.

Best Answer

I don't know; I just assume it's an issue of asymmetric levels of maturity/experience. For whatever it's worth, I've felt the same way.

Best Answer

Age becomes irrelevant at some time for everyone, usually when they figure we all die and that there is a need for someone in your life. It doesn't bother them of how old you are but what you bring to the table. I associate with a younger crowd for my age, but I do have some older friends, but as far as people my own age I find it is almost impossible for me to take them serious. How long is it going to take before you start living?

Best Answer

I mostly hang out with people in their 30s. I connect with them the most... conversation is wayyyy better. I don't relate to people my age.

Best Answer

It just means then you are different then people ur own age and you don't have much in common with them, no biggy it happens. I can't stand teenagers and I am bearly over that age myself lol

Best Answer

I'm not sure, i never figured it out either. Mosty i think it just means that you've evolved passed their lvl of thinking....<br />
i mean i can't stand teenage girls... they do nothing but gossip, and act like they know everything. bratty things...<br />
I'd prefer to have a friend, and have had "friends" much older than i am, that were either mature for their age or rejected by others

Best Answer

Actually, older people may be toterant with you because of your age, older people are teaching stuff and you are listening. When you can tell people that you have done that, been there and know this/that than young people will listen to you.

Best Answer

what you consider "aren't so open minded" is experience to someone our age

Best Answer

I was about to post something similar to this. I got to thinking last night, that a majority of my friends are older than me, anywhere from early 20s to 60s and older. I have never really found this weird, but when I was a little younger, as a minor, my (mom) parents would become very disembodied when I would talk to an older person, especially on the internet. I have some good friends my age that I met in college my first year, but I made more friends in my first year of college than I ever met in high school because not only are their minds more mature, but the openness of their minds can make the whole difference. Being able to connect with older people has brought me maturity that I didn't necessarily want, but It has made me into a better person. I not only don't understand about 80% of the things that kids my age enjoy doing, but I don't like to associate myself as a child/teen when I am talking to someone who has a set stereotype for teenagers made up in their mind. I'm not THAT teen, I'm much different. I have also become more mature because of forced situations in my life over the past several years. My face looks 16/17, my body looks 15, and my brain feels between 20 and 50, different for the time and situation. Of course, feeling these things on top of everything that i selflessly have been able to do in my life, before 19, has brought me suicidal thoughts and depression. Time, years, and age have always been a thing that I not only talk about, aknowledge, but I observe it in every day life. Every day I wonder how much longer I will actually live, will I be here in 2 years, 3? 5? 10? 20? 30? 40? 50? 70 even?

Best Answer