Not generalizing just asking a question
xpetiteetoilex xpetiteetoilex 18-21, F 109 Answers Jan 21, 2013 in Hobbies

Feminists wanting to be treated equally happened.

Best Answer

However l usually keep the door open for anyone when l go through it if someone is close enough behind me.

Best Answer

That's a nice way to see things.

Best Answer

so everyone suffers, too?

Best Answer

Suffers? l can't say l really care, and l think most people regardless of gender doesn't care either.

Best Answer

I open the door for who's behind me. Doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman.

Best Answer

kool u

Best Answer

let's see sarcastic? hmmmmm.....

Best Answer

yes...

Best Answer

Guys are vexed. For the past five decades, they've been pressured to treat women equally. Women were to enjoy equal treatment in the workplace, equal participation in government, and equal opportunity to choose among possible careers. <br />
When, in some cases, unequal outcomes persisted, affirmative action programs were administered with a vengeance. The Federal Office of Civil Rights used the threat of financial ruin to compel universities, fire and police departments, private businesses and public agencies to hire more women. And more women were hired, even if they were less qualified or less dependable than their male counterparts---all in the name of equal treatment.<br />
On the other hand, equal treatment sometimes worked against women. In the early 1990s, the Equal Rights Amendment implied that, if the country ever re-instituted the draft, women, as well as men, would have to serve in the army. Many women disapproved of that idea. In the area of medicine, certain illnesses, such as breast cancer, multiple sclerosis and myesthenia gravis, afflicted far more women than men. Equal treatment here could blur those gender differences, hindering research most pertinent to women. <br />
So it seemed that, in some cases, women were to receive PREFERENTIAL treatment, in other cases, SPECIAL treatment. To muddy the picture more, it became politically incorrect to suggest out loud that women were demanding anything except EQUAL treatment, even though everyone, including women, knew that this was no longer true. (If it ever was.) <br />
By the 1990s, men had to be very careful. When a woman needed help, be it rescue, protection, comfort or money, gentlemen were still expected to provide it. (They certainly did in all those romance novels, which were as popular as ever.) Yet, offering help to a woman might insult her or cause her to pretend to be insulted, if she happened to be flying the Equal Treatment banner. <br />
To make matters worse, a guy could never know when the banner was up or down. It all depended on her mood at the moment, which might reflect hormonal flows that no prudent guy would ever mention or even suggest existed. So, yes, a man had to be very careful.<br />
By 1990, deciding whether or not to open a door for a woman was like crossing a busy intersection on foot during the rush hour with none of the traffic signals working: You had to look in all directions, gauge the ex<x>pression on the woman's face, ascertain whether or not she was in the right mood, and then take a chance. If you guessed correctly, you might get a smile. But if your guess proved wrong, you'd probably suffer a scowl and might well render yourself vulnerable to a sexual harassment law suit or, if the "victim" happened to be your boss, the loss of your job. <br />
Not surprisingly, many guys simply quit trying to guess. They relegated the whole idea of courtesy to the realm of antiquated concepts---along with typewriters, gramophones and the horse-drawn buggy.

Best Answer

But not all of us.

Best Answer

While I appreciate your wonderful analysis and logic, I think it's still right to do what YOU want to do, and ignore -- or at least not worry -- about her response. If she's nasty or mean because you were nice, you could always say (*** if you really wanted to***), "Excuse me, but I thought you were a lady...." if she happened to be flying the Equal Treatment banner at the time.

Best Answer

thank god for those who haven't. there's still some civility in the world!

Best Answer

Chivalry isn't completely dead...my guy opens car door etc for me, I return the favor by leaning over and opening his and also generally popping my lower back...hehe. I also tend to hold a door for other people, male or female, young or old...but what gets me is how they'll say NOTHING, not even grunt a response/thanks. People are strange...but I've known that..and I'm not taking back thinking, "don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out!"

Best Answer

With one of my BF's we used to have this game. He'd unlock and open my side of the car, so I could get in, then TRY to race to his side of the car before I unlocked the door. He never did.....

Best Answer

Feminism isn't equality for women,.. It's equality for ALL. With that being said.... Opening doors is something that if a man does, I thank him and kudos to him, but its not a negative if he doesn't. I can open a door by myself.

Best Answer

If someone needs help, it's courteous to do it. If they don't, its just nice... chivalrous, perhaps. Who said nice was dead?

Best Answer

People still hold doors and people still appreciate it when people do. Regardless of gender. It's just common courtesy and there are still a lot of courteous people out there.<br />
When I was in my early twenties, I was told I was being sexist when I held a door for a woman. That surprised me and I wondered if it was true. Eventually, I concluded that it probably WASN'T true - but if it was, then I'd rather be sexist and courteous, than feminist and rude.

Best Answer

You were NOT being sexist -- she was; she was projecting her feelings towards other men on you. Nobody's perfect, we all do from time to time.... It's probably just best to chalk it off to her having a bad hair day.

Best Answer

There are still men that do. My late husband taught my sons to do so. Unfortunately feminism is a rotten teacher for curtesy.

Best Answer

Your husband was great, and feminism hasn't helped, but lets not just blame it...

Best Answer

I'm not blaming it, I blame emotions. Men don't want to be made to feel that their efforts have gone unnoticed or worse unwanted. I don't blame them.

Best Answer

What, are you saying that they be guys out here that do not open the doors for the ladies? I thought it was like kind of a law that we do that, besides good manners.

Best Answer

yes, there is!

Best Answer

Women discovered they have arms that work -shrugs-

Best Answer

loooooooooooooool..u meanie

Best Answer

If it's important to ya I will of course. Pull out the chair; throw my coat on a puddle; rise as you approach the table :) I'm a student of the old school most definitely!

Best Answer

Maybe they got fed up of rude women who refuse to say thank you or worse still march through the open door with their nose in the air and a disdainful look/smirks on their faces.

Best Answer

Well, if you feel obliged to do it, and glare at them, I suppose they might.... There are rude people everywhere, and occasionally I'm one. If you can just ignore those times, and keep a smile, it shouldn't matter, you'll have been a gentlemen.

Best Answer

I still do I will even jog up in front of people to Hold the door for a lady. I have always done it

Best Answer

a true gentleman

Best Answer

I believe it has nothing to do with equality it is about manners

Best Answer

I was raised to open doors, stand up when they enter or exit a room and to pull chairs out for them. For the most part I do this daily but when women start abusing the fact I was raised this way or degrade me for this fact I cut back on it. It is very sad for the women who still want this but it is being beaten out of us that are left.

Best Answer

If they 'abuse' you for it, you shouldn't do it. What's 'abuse' mean? Tease you for being nice?
Think of it this way: at least you were being noticed!

Best Answer

This type of response is why guys no longer do these things for women.

Best Answer

It's not always appreciated, but I do it none the less. That's how I was raised, and that's how I raised my 20 yr old son. Courtesy is a dying art.

Best Answer

Being a gentleman will always be appreciated and will never be a dying art..... good for you!

Best Answer

There are still some old school gentlemen out here. And for those of you who are - there are also some of us women who appreciate it. <br />
Charlotte

Best Answer

Me too... but I'd like to think it wasn't old school, it's just being polite....

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer

Janie - I think you are right!

Best Answer

people who talk about equality can keep dreaming, EQUALITY WILL NEVER EXIST PEOPLE, I think its only charming for a man to open a door for a woman, it just shows that he's mature.

Best Answer

well i am one of those huys that still do that all the time along with pulling out her chair and seating her first before i sit down im one of the last of the old school that i know

Best Answer

you are a gem,the kind lots of women fall over....

Best Answer

I still do, of course at my age some younger women hold it open for me.

Best Answer

oh, that's so sweet. Yes, I hold the door for anyone who would benefit.... lots of old people do -- limps, sore backs, fatigue,.... and so on.

Best Answer

i open doors for women all the time... especially if im out with them. the other day i did it for my girlfriend and some older lady saw and said loudly... "I thought guys like you were extinct!" so funny.

Best Answer

so funny, but you made a good impression... believe it or not, some guys don't, even for a date!

Best Answer

It mostly has to do with how folks are raised. I was raised to open doors for a lady, but I've met many who get annoyed when you do so. I do it anyway since it is second nature for me.

Best Answer

Many of us still do.

Best Answer