I was in town today and decided instead of blocking someone in who was trying to get out of a restaurant parking lot, I would stop and let them get in front of me at the stoplight. He was talking on his cell phone and didn't even acknowledge my gesture. I know when someone does the same for me I wave and smile no matter what to show that I appreciate the kind gesture. Am I the only one in this?
SunshineMel SunshineMel 31-35, F 23 Answers Nov 15, 2012 in Community

Most everyone I come in contact with have none and I think it is going to get a lot worse.

Best Answer

I think as long as people think it's socially acceptable to be rude, then yes, it will only get worse.

Best Answer

isn't rudeness kind of being glamorized in the media. Sure it can be funny in a tv show but in real life ....those impressionable minds! shows glamourizing rudeness maybe rated for adults only?

Best Answer

Being rude is seen as comical and even genius in some regards to many I think, especially in the media. We have no one to blame expect ourselves I guess :-/

Best Answer

It went the way of common sense, sadly...

Best Answer

He's in Boston on vacation and his name is Frank :-)

Best Answer

Don't expect a return of ur generosity,then when it comes it will be a nice surprise.

Best Answer

You...meet me! I do it as s'well! But if/when i don't get respect,i give em back what they give me! You get what u give in this life...know that u are a decent one & will get it back 3 folds...so will they on the other end of the spectrum. That’s all we need to know & that's satisfaction & good e’nuff for me!

Best Answer

See, I can't give it back though...I actually turn up the nice factor and kill them with kindness as punishment :)

Best Answer

Wutever works for u honz...I do what I feel in the moment,it's what script i may or not be on too! ha ha ha..

Best Answer

It got thrown out the window along with self-respect, common sense and the ability to think for oneself.

Best Answer

The ability to think for oneself really has gone out the window these days when there are so many gadgets just waiting to do it for us.

Best Answer

It’s slowly becoming non-existent. From the simple things of holding the door for the person behind you to letting someone cut in front of you on the road (while indicating to do so) when trapped behind a slow moving vehicle; folks do not even say thank you anymore. Many are walking around with the attitude of entitlement and showing any signs of appreciation or acknowledgment for the kind gesture is moot in their mind. It’s the "me, me, me and to heck with you" attitude on display these days. For those of us who have been properly raised-up and not shoved-up, continue on showing courtesy and kindness to others, for as I was always told, "Payback is a ***** and every dog WILL get its day". So be good and you will be rewarded.

Best Answer

I've even noticed that when I stop at cross walks at my college, the students will not even look up from their cell phones to see if someone has stopped...they'll just venture across the street regardless. It's those who just assume that others will be nice that really break the chain...

Best Answer

Argh! That drives me crazy! Or even in the supermarket letting someone get in line in front of you when they have one item and they can't even acknowledge that you have done something nice. I try not to let it dissuade me from being courteous because once in a while some stranger will do something nice for me. That makes it worthwhile.

Best Answer

I think the feeling of knowing that you did the courteous thing in the situation almost cancel-outs the lack of response from the person you helped out in some fashion. I think I would have disliked deciding to block the guy in more than the sadness his lack of response gave me.

Best Answer

You're right, I would've felt bad also. I think it's because we have this little thing called a *conscience ;)

Best Answer

Thank goodness we have that!...lol

Best Answer

Kids are not raised up anymore, they're dragged up.<br />
Everything is gradually getting worse.

Best Answer

Sadly, I agree :(

Best Answer

One commenter had it right; sadly it's become fashionable to be rude. I've actually had young people tell me that to be nice is to be fake; only rude and selfish is honest. Why are people raising kids like that?

Best Answer

How sad is it to think that young people find such enduring qualities as niceness as something that needs to be faked? I think it says a lot about the future world we'll find ourselves living in.

Best Answer

Yes, when kindness is seen as weakness, we're all in trouble. Kids need to see the beauty in caring, the beauty of the human spirit. Part of it I think, is the liberal media lampooning those who follow Jesus as idiots.

Best Answer

actually I am sometimes guilty of not acknowledging people who do things like that. Mostly because my mind is in a fog (I am 50 years old and female ...a lot of us are that way....can you spell "endocrine disruption" and "hormone imbalance"??) so I think to myself, oh, i should have waved...but the moment passed. Or maybe they just found out their best friend was just diagnosed with cancer. I try to remember that people have a lot on their minds. Maybe they appreciated it but didn't have the multi-tasking skills to drive, talk, and then wave....

Best Answer

As long as you at least feel regret about not having the capabilities to respond to a person who does a favor for you, then compassion is still present.

Best Answer

It died along with common sense.

Best Answer

...don't get me started on the lack of common sense people have today

Best Answer

I second that.....please do NOT get me started!

Best Answer

I can agree with you on that. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Best Answer

it's not so common anymore..

Best Answer

Unfortunately, it's more fashionable these days to be rude and selfish

Best Answer

Karma. What you did was correct and just keep being thoughtful. You are not alone in this.

Best Answer

Always good to hear :)

Best Answer

Common courtesy left with Common sense

Best Answer

It is alive and well in some people.

Best Answer

Nope. I appreciate some courtesy too. It's too bad so many people are too busy to notice they're not being courteous any more.

Best Answer

Being busy and mentally distracted by this or that has replaced taking the time to acknowledge others and respond to them in a manner other than a text.

Best Answer

For some, yes. But many of us still treat others as we would like to be treated, rather than how we expect to be treated.

Best Answer

As long as that number of people is big enough, there's hope.

Best Answer

it died with the last generation , its all skateboards , facial tattoos and hoodies now

Best Answer

It is still in existence, but becoming more rare. I become annoyed with clerks whom I have never met addressing me as: "Hon", "Sweetie" , etc. I politely ask them to not address me in that manner.

Best Answer

I often get greeted with a "Ma'am"...which I used to take offense to because of how young I was but it helped remind me that there are some courteous people still out there.

Best Answer