Nimbus007 Nimbus007 46-50, M 15 Answers Mar 3, 2011

Yes as they have the full force of the law behind them

Best Answer

Lying to the police is obstructing justice, which is a criminal charge.

Yes, the police are allowed to lie to you. Here is one instance:

The leading case on police trickery and deceit is Frazier v. Cupp. Here the defendant was convicted of murder based on his confession, which he'd provided after receiving a "somewhat abbreviated description of his constitutional rights" (the interrogation predated Miranda) and being told that his cousin had already admitted to the crime, which wasn't so. The interrogating officer also offered false sympathy for the defendant, suggesting that the victim had provoked the attack by making homosexual advances. When the defendant stopped in midstory and expressed interest in getting a lawyer, the officer told him "You can't be in any more trouble than you are in now," and proceeded with the questioning.

Best Answer

Of course they lie, one cop told me that it wasn't my cousin that destroyed my case when it really was.

Best Answer

If you lie to the police you can get killed ...if you tell the truth you can get killed ...if the police lie to you ...you can get killed ...if they tell the truth ...be scared

Best Answer

Police are allowed to lie to you. If you lie to police you can be charged with interfering with a criminal investigation or something similar.

Best Answer

They're ALWAYS telling lies. Once, they told me they were walking on the moon. On different occasions, they've said they like to eat their friends, walk in the footsteps of dinosaurs and tried to rehabilitate prostitutes... that last one seems a bit patronising and moralistic to me. They say there's a little black spot on the sun, but I'm not sure how they could know that. On one occasion - very worryingly - they told me they were observing every breath I took. That one really put the wind up me and I hunted my entire flat for bugs and hidden cameras. However, after some careful thought, I began to suspect that at least some of these claims were lies.

Best Answer

clever.

Best Answer

In terms of lying to the police it depends on the context. If you lie to them in terms of official business it could be obstruction of justice.

In terms of them lying to you, it has been supported up to the supreme court. They get to lie to you all they want to get you to say something they can use in court. Not only that, but they are trained to do this. I know because I have been through an interrogation.

Best Answer

bear is right

if the pigs weren't such lying basterds there would be a lot less criminals in jail

Best Answer

I think that is fallacious and based on based on nothing but gut feels. The police lying puts many innocent people in jail as well. Largely it effects people who don't understand the system and can't afford good lawyers. I know, I have been put through it and I was innocent. They tried lots of tricks to try to get me to admit things to help them in court. It was terrifying and in general that kind of thing fails in court if your lawyer has a clue.

Best Answer

Police lie as a matter of course. It's part of their routine. They can say pretty much anything in an attempt to prompt the person they are questioning to tell them what they want to hear. This happens even in routine traffic stops - when they want an excuse to pull you over. What a double standard.

Best Answer

In a democratic society, there are no laws against anyone lying. But if you lie to the police, and it causes trouble for them in an investigation, if they want to, they can advise the DA to charge you with the crime of impeding an investigation. The police are certainly allowed to lie to you and it is a common practice in police interrogation.

Best Answer

If you lie to law enforcement and they CATCH you, you may be in trouble (you'd be better off remaining silent, because anything you say CAN be used against you in a court of law).

But they certainly can lie to you. Whatever they have to say in the interests of "securing justice", is allowed.

Best Answer

All the instances given here deal with the police lying to suspects in their inquiries.Isnt the most worrying time the police are to be found lying is in instances like the brazillian man shot dead on the underground in connection with the "terrorist" bombings in London?His name escapes me but the then chief commissioner of police stated before the nation that the dead man had hurdled the ticket barriers when he realised he was being followed clearly implicating he was guilty of something.Within 48 hours this was retracted along with claims that the chief had not been informed of any details of events when making his claims.How can this possibly be justified?In the suspect examples at least it could possibly be viewed as understandable,but what right can there be to lie to the public when the dead man was found to be an innocent victim?Also suspicious was the claim saying the copper watching the dead man,who was supposed to give others the tip he was leaving his home,to supposedly carry out the bombing,failed to do so because he happened to be using the loo at the time the victim left.Lies,lies,lies,lies.

Best Answer

If you lie to them you will either get away with it or get found out and if they know you lied then the punishment is harsher. The police can lie to you, same odds(you find out or you don't) but if you have proof they lied then you could have a court case against them, possibly get them fired, and/or get a lighter punishment if you prove it in court.

Best Answer

Actually they can pretty much lie to you all they want and feel they need to. They just can't lie under oath or about a few things like your rights.

Best Answer

Yes bitten dog they can as police and outher 's have immunity on the stand and we doin't

Best Answer

I have had an instance where blatant, verifiable lies have been told to police that have resulted in them unnecessarily visiting me regarding harassing a person who refuses to repay a large loan & has resorted to slandering me to weasel her way out of paying. On offering the evidence to the police, they were not interested at all & actually became quite abusive that I was turning the events back onto the complainant. What can be done as it seems ridiculous that police become judge, jury & executioner & I am livid at their obvious bad attitude.

Best Answer

Okay.. say a Sheriff found 2 pills in a silifane wrapper in my purse and I told them they were prescribed to me, I just didn't like to carry the bottle around and I was in a different town. The Sheriff told me to take my prescription bottle in to him by a certain day or there will be a warrant out for my arrest.. now say these pills weren't really prescribed to me.. am I going to get in more trouble since I lied? like how much jail time and stuff? HELP!

Best Answer