Nay261503 Nay261503 26-30 5 Answers Apr 15, 2011

It depends a great deal on the type of charges the accused is facing (ie. whether it is misdemeanor or felony charges) and also if the person accused has a prior history of domestic violence. <br />
Many jurisdictions have victims advocates (our local one is through the county attorney's office) that can explain a particular set of circumstances, and can also help the victim in the actual court process. If the resource is available to you, and you are the victim of domestic violence, I would strongly suggest you use it. We all suffer from a lot of misinformation (I think we pick up a lot of it from tv ) and they will help by telling you the correct information. For example,the idea that the victim is "pressing charges" Especially in domestic violence cases, the victim may be asked to testify in court or make a deposition, but it is this part of the world it is the State who brings the charges, not the victim.

Best Answer

There are lots of things that happen when you go to court for domestic violence. The sad thing is that women's shelters etc don't prepare you very well at all, neither will your lawyer.. You should know that you will be in a court room full of people that are on the accused's side. They will look at you, stare you down and make you feel horrible. The accused may make sounds or do things to try and intimidate you into changing your story or shutting up. Judges can be either understanding or very cold to you. The accused's lawyer will try and rattle you so you mess up and don't answer correctly. It is very difficult to sit there and have the accused's friends and family glaring at you. The accused will pull all kinds of people you thought were friends there to have their say and make you look like a bad person. It takes a very strong person to go to court. If you would like to discuss this further, privately, send me an email or a message and I'll get back to you. I hope this helps. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Best Answer

hi i need yr help an my email is pop-riya@yahoo.com

Best Answer

Hi, I found your statement very honest and candid in a world of vagueness that im going through right now. I was a victim of domesic violence and my ex partner has been charged with gbh with intent and witness intimidation. He is currently on remand and the trial date has been set for early Sept. I just wanted to hear more about your experience in court, if you would kind enough to tell me, I am very apprehensive and could really use some honest guidance.

Best Answer

my email is traceybishop@hotmail.co.uk if you would rather comment privately. Thanks

Best Answer

i am just goin threw this and i am scaired to go threw it as my 6 month old son is involved and i dont want the dad to have anythin to do with my son any advice

Best Answer

go through with it anyway - otherwise your ex will have legal claims to get to you

Best Answer

Justice starts to roll.

Best Answer

not alot you go infront of a judge first just you and say what has been going on and then the next time you go in you are with the other person and they get to have there say and ya that goes on and on and on go see a la<x>yer and get an under taking it is way easier and does mostly the same thing and then if the break that it is easier to get a vro

Best Answer

More violence

Best Answer