Having MS and Fibro kicks my A$$ sometimes.... anything would be helpful, I'm on a Lyrica buzzzzzzz......now I have insomnia!
Neveah Neveah 16-17, F 7 Answers Sep 2, 2009

Marijuana would help with every one of those conditions. No lie.

Best Answer

Like hermitjrnl said, with firbromyalgia what helps one doesn't necessary help another, but here's my story in brief.<br />
From late spring 1995 until late 1999 I was nearly bed ridden with fibromyalgia. I arranged my shopping list by what I needed most because I never knew if I was going to be able to tolerate the shopping trip long enough to get only one item or if I would be able to get more before my body said I was done.<br />
In late November of 1999 I started taking HUGE amounts of MSM. For me it was 24-30 GRAMS -- yes, GRAMs daily. In January of 2000 I was able to return to work part time. I still had some pain and tiredness -- but i could do it! Were there other things I did that helped some before this. Yes! I started "exercising" -- Three whole minutes of walking the first day! I could walk as fast or slow as I needed to as long as I finished my three minutes. The next week I added another minute and so on, adding one minute a week until I could walk 10 minutes. Then I started adding 1.5 minutes weekly until I could walk 16 minutes. Then I started adding 2 minutes weekly until I could walk 30 minutes. Then I added five minutes a week and made it all the way up to 45 minutes. But with fibromyalgia you've got to add that exercise so SLOWLY, or you'll send yourself backwards.<br />
Since then I have added a multitude of various supplements -- one at a time paying close attention to how my body responded. I reorder what works and give away what doesn't. I am now almost completely pain free most of the time and have enough energy to stay awake full days when I haven't had a major bout of insomnia.<br />
Don't have MS, but I know many are saying there is a connection between MS and lack of Vitamin D in childhood. Don't know if it will help your MS, but the scientists are finding that Vitamin D is both lacking in the general population and helpful for a multitude of health issues.<br />
Hope you find what you need for your body to heal.

Best Answer

Don't have MS, but can share a few things that help my FMS (keep in mind what helps and how well something helps various from person to person):<br />
good online info resouce: About.com<br />
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue ~ http://chronicfatigue.about.com/<br />
- for my self -- I've stopped all but one med (for thyroid). Side effects of all those pills far outweighed any limited benefit. Plus I just couldn't afford the ever changing prescriptions. With my allopathic Dr's OK I am doing the following:<br />
. weekly see a Chiropractor that has experience with FMS patients. More than once he has been able to knock down a major flair. And his adjustments have helped other issues too.<br />
. Followed Dr. Teitilbaum's book (http://www.endfatigue.com/ ) - I never got the full recovery that he claims is possible, but I did find help and some relief for the various FMS symptoms I get -- and still follow many things covered in book. He promotes allopathic and alternative treatments.<br />
. for sleep I take the following before going to bed:<br />
- 'Revitalizing Sleep Formula' by Enzymatic,<br />
- Calcium & magnisium<br />
. for pain, I take:<br />
- ginger caps &/or tea (helps with substance P build up)<br />
- cherry juice (natural analgesic)<br />
- 'End Pain' by Enzymatic (keep this as last resort)<br />
- also do simple meditation techniques (breathing & mantra) - it can help a screaming nervous system to calm down some<br />
(I've given up totally trying to eliminate the pain. Personally I'll cope with the pain & other FMS symptoms over the numbed out, stuffed in a plastic bubble feeling & other fun side effects that come with allopathic meds.)<br />
Hope something here is of some help or encouragement.

Best Answer

Oh no, I can't handle constant pain. I would look into acupuncture.<br />
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20050824/study-acupuncture-helps-fibromyalgia

Best Answer

wooooohhhhhhh....i wish i could help.

Best Answer

MARIJUANA & DELAYED SLEEP PHASE SYNDROME (DSPS) & FIBROMYALGIA (FMS)

I’d like to discuss with all of you that have DSPS the use of Medical Marijuana, aka weed or pot, for DSPS.

While Medical Marijuana is considered legal in several of the USA states, and it is also approved for recreational use in some of the same states, it is still a hotly debated subject and I do hope that my post here concerning its use for DSPS will not cause any problems.

I have DSPS, Fibromyalgia (FMS), severe migraines and severe insomnia (which I have now learned is actually DSPS) and a few other minor symptoms caused by the above mentioned. I’d like to tell you my age of 52 years old so that some of you will not think I am a kid promoting marijuana use for fun. I’d also like to tell you that I was a Nurse specializing in prescription medication for many years and an Herbalist/Homeopathic Practitioner (went to college for both and earned my degrees in each), so I do know what I am talking about when it comes to alternative treatment for illnesses and diseases.

We all know what DSPS can do and how it affects each of us, so I want to touch on FMS so that you will understand that too. With FMS your muscles are in pain all of the time to some degree. The neurotransmitters in the brain of people with FSM constantly misfire sending messages to the muscles that they are in pain but they actually are not. This in turn makes the muscles tighten, twitch, spasms and cramp causing the pain and a lot of discomfort to the point of just having something touch your skin or press on it makes you hurt and gives you pain. Most doctors will prescribe first thing a prescription for a pain killer medication but what FMS people need more is a relaxant. Pain pills only mask the symptoms and do nothing for relieving the cause. A muscle relaxant will relax the muscles so that they can rest and heal and thus reducing the pain.

As with DSPA we also need to relax our brains so that we can get relaxed and in turn get some much needed sleep and rest. A prescription muscle relaxor will help with this a little bit but they are designed for muscles and relaxing them, not the brain. This is where Medical Marijuana (Cannabis) comes into play.

I have found that using the Medical Marijuana Indcia strain of at least 50% Indcia or more is the best for helping to relax both mind and muscles and get some sleep for both DSPS and FMS. The Indcia strain is a relaxant. The Cannabis family has two species Indcia and Sativa and most strains of Marijuana are composed of a mix of both family strains and they differ fundamentally in their chemical composition, physiological aesthetic, and medical application. Some Marijuana is a pure strain of either Indica or Sativa. I will speak only on the Indica strain at this time since this is what helps with DSPS and FSM.

Indica strains relax muscle and work as general analgesics, also helping with sleep and pain. Indica's chemical profile shows a more balanced mix, with moderate THC levels and higher levels of CBD. Indica buds will be thick and dense, with flavors and aromas ranging from pungent skunk to sweet and fruity. The smoke from an Indica is generally a body type effect, relaxing and laid back. Indica's higher CBD than THC equals a much heavier, sleepy type of high. Indica plants have a heavy, stony high that is relaxing and can help different medical problems. The Indica strain also increases energy and appetite, reduces nausea, reduces or eliminates muscle spasms, tremors, tension, stress, chronic pain and pain relief, arthritic and rheumatic stiffness and swelling/ inflammation, insomnia, anxiety, induces sleep, sleep disorders, insomnia, sedation, reduces seizures, reduces intra-occular pressure, bronchio-dilator and expectorant, relieves headaches and migraines, and related conditions. Indica generally more physical than cerebral, however, the relief of physical symptoms can have a positive psychological effect

There is not much research into the medicinal effects of different strains. Most people rely on word of mouth and trial and error to choose a strain that works for them. In saying that, most people will have to experiment on what Indica mix and how much to smoke will work for them and what they are seeking for it to accomplish. The Indica varieties or ones with more Indica percentage often make them more suitable for evening and nighttime use. It is also important to remember that just as every person’s physiological make-up is slightly different, the subjective experience of using cannabis medicinally is also different for everyone. The most popular Indica strains for sleep/insomnia and pain are currently Kush, Northern Lights, White Widow, Chocolate Chunk, Blue Berry, Grand Daddy Purple, Paraplegic Kush and Super Noff.

A good Indica/Sativa cross can also offer the best of both worlds. There are many breeders who work hard to develop strains that will accomplish just that to give you a great head high coupled with a relaxing and definitely medically beneficial strong body stone. Therefore, smoking a pure Sativa or mostly Sativa hybrid will make you feel great, energetic and social and ready for fun! And depending on the particular strain of Sativa-Indica cross you smoke, you may get a good measure of pain relief in the deal as well. In saying this, if you need to function in the daytime or during a social event or at work a good mixed strain of Sativa and Indica would be a good choice.

If one has never been a marijuana smoker then a very small dosage will work in the beginning. If one has used marijuana before or you are or have been a smoker then you will know more about how to regulate your dosage as you find the right strain/mix for you. I have found for myself that using a “one hitter”, which is a very small amount, works well for me. I will take 1-3 one hits around 9:00pm – 11:00pm to begin with. At about 1:00am to 2:00am I will do another 1-2 one hits and after a little bit, perhaps an hour or so, I am then ready to crawl into bed feeling relaxed and ready to sleep.

While I mentioned above some of the best strains for insomnia and pain they are not always easy to get a hold of especially if you live in a non-Medical Marijuana state. In time, I do hope that Medical Marijuana will go Nation Wide! It’s a natural plant that has been around since the dawn of time and was put in this good green earth by our Creator for a purpose. My Native American Indian Ancestors used it frequently. I do hope his post will help some of you.

References:
1. What Are the Differences between Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Sativa, and How Do They Vary in Their Potential Medical Utility?
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000638

2. How to Choose a Medicinal Cannabis Strain?
http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/about-sensi-seeds/sensi-seeds-and-medicinal-cannabis/how-to-choose-a-medicinal-cannabis-strain/

3. The Weed Blog
http://www.theweedblog.com/the-difference-between-indica-and-sativa-marijuana-plants/

4. Patients Marijuana
http://patientsmarijuana.org/Sativa_or_Indica.html

5. Medical Marijuana Strains
http://www.medicalmarijuanastrains.com/tag/indica/

Best Answer