As i see it, two reasons, 1. It's a toy. We Americans are fascinated with new and shiny, touch devices are the gee wizz toys of the modern age. Maybe someday we'll get past the toy aspect.<br />
and 2. Planned Obsolescence. Often older alpha/numeric pads can be replaced cheaply and easily, button devices can generally work around problems. If the programe that operates the touch portion becomes corrupted, the device becomes an expensive paper weight. Also manufacturers don't want you keeping your device too long, they want you to keep coming back and parting with your money.

Best Answer

Touchscreens do more than punch numbers. You can go online and do anything from your phone that you could not do using a keypad. Your finger is your cursor and your phone is a pc. That's the idea behind the smartphone.

Best Answer

Sorry that's wrong, smartphones have and do use keys to do what you describe. I have an old Nokia 6620 with buttons (google it) and it still works.

Best Answer

i don't know but i haz an aversion to touch-screens. i literally hate those touch mouse pad things on laptops and i refuse to use them if i ever have to use the laptop. there's just something very annoying about using my index finger and hellz, i got brought up with the classic *don't touch that!!!* all my life. i am not going to be cool with all of a sudden touching everything after 30 years of conditioning.

Best Answer

Keypads gum up.

Best Answer

I've never seen a gummed up keypad, unless the device was abused.

Best Answer

I don't think this is limited to America

Best Answer

Your right, it's not limited to America, i suspect it's the i want to be an iPnone clone, with consumers being denied different, perhaps unique interfaces.

Best Answer

It is easier to use!

Best Answer

Maybe. It boils down to personal preferences. My choices would be Alpha/Numeric then Qwerty. By the way, keypads will be with us a long time. Mobile devices are becoming a huge must have in emerging Asian countries, and using keypads as the interface keeps the devices affordable.

Best Answer