it's really complicated, there's some videos on youtube if you want to know more about it
okay.. so here I go :)
1. Only about 4% of the internet is available through popular search engines such as Google (and so on) with common browsers such as Chrome, or Safari. The remaining 96% is considered the "Deep Web"
2. Deep Web sites are accessible with special browsers such as the popular TOR (The Onion Router). for example "The Hidden Wiki" can not be accessed through your browse. You will need TOR to access it a
3. The Government can't do much about the content on the Deep Web for many reasons;
3a Users can go online anonymously: TOR helps with that.
3b. Most transactions are paid using "Bitcoins" which is the online currency that came to life in 2009 and can be used anonymously! Bitcoin is a topic of its own; and worth researching; this "virtual" money is very real to the point that the US is going to start posting Bitcoin ATM machines. Only recently has the Gov started trying to tax it and that is not so clear yet.
4. Because of reason 3 many things are accessible in the Deep Web, unfortunately some of it is really bad:
4a. You can buy all types of drugs, I mean all types of drugs.
4b. You can hire a hit man
4c. Purchase weapons; just about any type
4d. Many more negative ones: Basically anything that comes to mind
4e. It allows us as Americans to exercise our First Amendment Right to Anonymous Free Speech; truly Anonymous unlike the browsers and search engines that were mentioned above (1).
4f. Grants more access to people in countries with restricted internet access
4g. More "true" content available
4h. Anonymous Email accounts available: No NSA to track you, No Google or Microsoft to spy on you.
4i. The Government doesn't want you to use the Deep Web because they won't be able to monitor you.
Even the Government uses the Deep Web but will tell you that it's evil to prevent you from going there.
That was long...
Hope it helps! :D
red pill or blue pill
Red pill of course
Basically "secret" websites you need TOR to access.
Yes, but its hard or impossible to find unless you know what you're looking for. There isn't a webcrawler for TOR, per se. Because TOR is basically encryprion across several layers of the OSI model, it is really intendednto be used by people in countries like Iran who may have significantly censored or monitored Internet traffic.
I should also point out that TOR was developed by the US Navy to protect govt communications. Ergo, you should assume NSA is listening. I've always assumed it was one giant man-in-the-middle honeypot to catch terrorists and other "bad guys."
Supposedly...supposedly.... the NSA has a crack for most encryption. I'm not sure I buy that, but Ive heard that runoff floated.
And, the TOR routers? They're anonymous. So, who knows?
Again, the intent of TOR is to provide digital information to people who's countries suppress a free press and freedom of speech, while protecting anonymity to some significant degree.
Someone donates time on the router. Or, has a dedicated routed. Nobody "runs" it. It's based on the TOR protocols which lie on top of the TCP/IP protocols. That's sort of like asking who runs the Internet. It's a neural network ... it's not centrally controlled.
No worries, I'm on a tablet, sonic I sound terse, I'm typing with my thumbs only. ;)
That's basically it. For the record, that's what the Internet looked like when the Internet was email, Usenet, telnet, IRC and ftp servers. Gopher came along, but since that was proprietary, that was a hot mess too.
In 1996, it wasn't easy finding crap using http...
But, TOR does try to obfuscate to some degree, since it is designed to be secure at multiple levels of the OSI model. So, that's somewhat by design.
I think it is basically the web that most of us don't go to :o