LuciaRose LuciaRose 26-30, F 23 Answers Jan 8, 2012

Books.<br />
A flag is hollow to me.

Best Answer

Honestly, I'm not sure; if books represent ideas, it could be argued that flags represent nations and people. However there have been flags that represented some very ugly ideas. The confederate and nazi flags could be burned and I would be fine with that.

Best Answer

Yep! nazi, confederate, and the ussr flags!

Best Answer

Burning a flag is a statement of protest against what that flag represents. There will always be that flag. Burning a book is silencing a voice that is speaking to future generations.

Best Answer

Fair enough.

Best Answer

That is an excellent question. I think flag burning inflames more people even those who do not read. It is an emotional response that everybody clearly understands. Not that book burning isn't. Book burning is more of an educational statement and outcry for the voice of a person to be heard. Censorship is not good so the burning of books as a protest can be an effective attention getter. I personally think book burning is more offensive (I'm a writer and editor) but realize that veterans give a huge portion of their life (some die in the process) of defending their country. I think flag burning would be more offensive to them. They are taught to look at the flag as their symbol of freedom.

Best Answer

In 300 AD the great library at Alexandria's Librarian Hypatia was killed and the library was sacked and burned by a Christian mob, this was a tragic loss of most of the accumulated knowledge of the ancient world. Burning a book is like killing a mind.

Best Answer

I agree. And it's said 'where they start with burning books they end with burning people'.

Best Answer

That and a huge part of history we will never know the truth of.

Best Answer

That was not a Christian mob, read some more history....

Best Answer

It certainly was a christian mob acting at the direction of then bishop of Alexandra. If you will put down your bible and read a history book you will come across this account
"Hypatia was believed to be the cause of strained relations between Orestes, the Imperial Roman Prefect, and the Patriarch Cyril, thus she attracted the hatred of the Christians of Alexandria, who wanted the governor and the priest to reconcile. One day, in March AD 415, during Lent, a Christian mob of lay Christians led by "Peter the Reader," waylaid Hypatia's chariot as she travelled home.[27] The mob attacked Hypatia, ******** her naked as a form of humiliation, then dragged her through the streets to the recently Christianised Caesareum church, where they killed her. The reports suggest that the mob of Christians flayed her body with ostraca (pot shards), and then burned her remains:" The Library was burned by decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391 and again after the Muslim conquest. The fact is that the sacking and burning represent a great loss caused by ignorant fools who don't know the value of a book.

Best Answer

People who burn flags may be protesters. People who burn books are Barbarians.

Best Answer

books have more value than flags, if that is what you are asking.

Best Answer

Book burning. I can't remember who said it, but when a society starts burning books, people aren't far behind. Look at Europe during the Middle Ages and Hitler's Germany.

Best Answer

Both!

Best Answer

One thing you will never see is a flag burnt at a gun show

Best Answer

theyre both ****** stupid

Best Answer

Book flogging.

Best Answer

Depends on the book and the flag.

Best Answer

I agree!

Best Answer

Personally I like to get a big pile of books going and then throw a few flags on top for kicks.

Best Answer

Books are a big part of history. Just make sure to burn books that we could do without in the future; such as the Twilight series!

Best Answer

Book burning. By far. The American flag means nothing to me. (Nothing good at least!)

Best Answer