I often come under fire by family members for giving money every once in a while to a homeless/beggar or donation center like the salvation army during the holidays. This morning I gave my last ten dollars for the month to a man with a homeless sign. Yes I understand they may be lying or using the funds to purchase alcohol/drugs. Or they many actually be someone who has fallen on hard times due to circumstance beyond their control. While I do not have a great deal of excess funds each month, I am very grateful to have a roof over my head and food to eat. What is wrong with giving the person the benefit of the doubt and trying to help out your fellow man or women once in a while?
Zunreal Zunreal 41-45 20 Answers Dec 29, 2013 in Doing Good

That is fine, but don't let 'slicksters' take advantage of you.I donate to the local food bank,Salvation Army,Disabled Vets, etc..But I'll be damned if I'm going to finance some junkies drug habit.Especially when I quit 14 years ago,lol!

Serious note-give carefully.

Best Answer

All my charitable donations go to street people or the Salvation army copper kettle or street musicians. I get told that some of them will just buy drugs but i figure who am I to judge so I'll keep doing it that way. Cheers!

Best Answer

Drug addiction is not something that should be taken lightly.

Best Answer

I don't take it lightly but I figure don't hate the players hate the game. I'v walked the streets at night with a couple tuff daddies and we made it clear to pushers that their in the wrong neighborhood. Cheers!

Best Answer

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it!! Nothing!!! Never let a small minded person tell you that!

Best Answer

Thank you, I just get so tired of being harangue repeatedly over it. I love my family but there are some days lol.

Best Answer

Family is family. :( never let small minded people like that bother or ever change you. :)

Best Answer

but you MUST watch out for scam artists. It is much better to buy a lunch for a beggar, then you know for a fact that you are helping them. Some beggars are alcoholics and addicts that use panhandling as a means to support their addiction. :(

Best Answer

To true!

Best Answer

Nothing at all mate, the world needs more people like you.

Best Answer

If they are able bodied they have no business panhandling. I was homeless and never panhandles ..I picked cans ..that's what I say..

"Go pick some cans"

Best Answer

Nothing at all is wrong with it, if you can do it and are so inclined.

Best Answer

I've always heard that giving to a center/organization is what you should do.

For giving directly, (I'm sure to be repeating others on here) it would be good IF a person who genuinely needs it gets it. In a way all of them need money. In the same way I could use some money, too. For some of them (my thought is most but I've no evidence either way) it's how they earn their living. I've seen the same people with the same signs on the same corners for years. Literally. If that's how they choose to "work" I choose not to pay them for it. Because that's what you're doing, paying them to stand there.

At one time I was frequently giving to some near my work. I stopped that when they began asking "where's my dollar" or "where's my cigarette". They weren't asking, weren't requesting, they were demanding. Now I simply tell these people NO.

Best Answer

nothing wrong w/ that.. would those people telling you it's wrong be in the homeless/beggars' place instead?

Best Answer

Homeless people are homeless for a reason, it isn't exactly wrong to give them money but you have to consider what will they buy with the money you give them? And donation centers only give like 10-25% of the money to the needy instead of all 100%.

Best Answer

Most street corner beggars are not homeless. They beg because the hourly pay is better than getting a job. You are encouraging them.

Best Answer

There's nothing wrong with that.. But, I honestly don't give them money. With my experience, I've had them tell me that they needed money cause they were hungry but saw them (through the window) buy weed while I was in the store. From now on, I just tell them "I won't give you money but I will buy you food" and ask them what they wanted from the store.

Best Answer

Nothing wrong with giving

Best Answer

some of the beggers,,homeless in in high cost neighbor hoods,,,in a years time make 60.000 to 70,000 tax free,,,

most are freeloaders,,dont wont to work

Best Answer

We have a few homeless here, who hang out in front of our stores. I won't give them money, I'll go in and buy food and give that to them instead. They don't need me to contribute more to their already drunkeness.

Best Answer

its very generous and good

Best Answer

Absolutely nothing! Please do not change, what you are doing is wonderful. :-)

Best Answer

Nothing is wrong with it at all.

Best Answer