sometimes i have quite a few bad days but i don't know if i can say i'm depressed. do the two go hand in hand or can you have one without having the other? or are they somehow intertwined?
jerrica jerrica 41-45, F 16 Answers Dec 30, 2008

There is a big difference. I'm not a Dr. but I do deal with clinical depression. Clinical/cronic depression is a chemical imbalance. If left untreated (in any method you choose) it prob. never leave because it's a physical condition. Being unhappy doesn't mean you are depressed. It's a normal healthy responce to a situation and will lift out of it in a resonable period of time. If your down for at least 3 weeks and don't have a reason to be, it would be good to check it out. I hope this helps.

Best Answer

depends what you are unhappy about, if it is sumthin small, like your car died, then fix the problem, get a new car. You are now happy, but if it is sumthin big ,eg. sum1 died and you are acting like a stupid mindless zombie then, yeah... it's depression.

Best Answer

UNHAPPINESS SEEMS TO BE TEMPORARY WHILE DEPRESSION IS MORE OF A LONG TERM THING, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION... HEY JERR!

Best Answer

Depression is a deeper form of unhappiness which branches out into things like lethargy,..spontaneous and automatic crying...contemplations of suicide...apathy,....a loss of self-care...speechlessness,...sleeplessness...loss of libido...loss of apetite...loss of friends!!!...sometimes the loss of your life!!..It is not entirely physical..or chemical,..but psychological and sociological as well:)...It is most definitely not happy,..although 'fake smiles' may abound..

Best Answer

When I'm depressed, most of the color is gone from my life, everything is faded. <br />
Unhappy, I still have the colors, but they clash.<br />
I know that's a really abstract answer but I didn't want to repeat what was already said.

Best Answer

It's a matter of degree. Unhappiness is short-lived and usually has an obvious trigger.<br />
Depression is a long term condition, often with no obvious trigger. It's accompanied by physical symptoms, e.g. loss of appetite, insomnia, poor concentration, and psychological symptoms, e.g. suicidal thinking, feelings of guilt and worthlessness.<br />
It's a complex issue. If in doubt, see your doctor.

Best Answer

What if your unhappy,AND your have depression? How do you know when your feeling which? Are my meds working and I'm miserable anyway,or what?

Best Answer

i know this coz i take meds for depression its physical real depression it makes you have palpataions in heart just sad is something goes away not physical u dont get sick from sad

Best Answer

The feeling of depression lasts so many days.

Best Answer

Yes, there is a difference, Depression is when you hit rock bottom...unhappy is a daily occurance.

Best Answer

I struggle with this question myself. I think if you are depressed, it will hinder your ability to function with day to day activities i.e. getting out of bed, getting dressed, going out, producing at work, cleaning house, taking care of family, etc..<br />
There are days I lack the want and/or motivation to do any of the above (except getting out of bed, I hate lying around in bed when I am awake & I rise early). I wonder often if I may be depressed or if I am just unhappy. Other days (usually when I am diligent about taking my vitamins), I feel good about myself and get more accomplished.<br />
I think you are unhappy when you are simply unsatisfied with the life choices that you have made and are unable to find joy in your day to day life as a result of them. <br />
Perhaps one condition triggers the other & they feed off eachother.<br />
Either way, I think a trip to the doctor is useful, although I am afraid to be told I should take an anti-depressant. I am not a fan of prescription drugs, particularly ones that mess with your head (my head is messed already as it is!)

Best Answer

I once heard that depression is anger turned inward towards your self, but unaware. Not sure if that is true. I have had bouts or depression, and been unhappy, and I can tell the difference. The biggest thing I noticed in dealing with depression, for me, was to talk and express the things I was afraid to say. It is a work in process, but therapy, cognitive therapy, and at times medication in addition with the therapy makes a huge difference. Most important, if you don't click with your therapist find another, it makes a huge difference.

Best Answer

When it happens, you'll know.

Best Answer

Depression is a fairly common condition that requires (in most cases) medical intervention and treatment. Unhappiness is a part of real life, it comes and goes and is not the same thing as depression. If you have 'good days and bad days', good moods and bad moods, I would say you are experiencing normal life emotions; if you are constantly feeling sad, worthless, angry and/or suicidal, medical help may be required, you should at least visit with a physician and tell him/her what is going on. It all depends on the individual, but I think most people know when they are depressed, as opposed to experiencing unhappiness.

Best Answer