I read a news article saying -2 F is extremely cold and it caused a mans thymus gland to swell so much it choked him to death nearly instantly.
dolitter dolitter 18-21, M 6 Answers Jan 8 in Health

About 90 mins. This was a silly mistake of mine in leaving behind my scarf in office in a rush to catch the bus. It happened over 15 years ago whilst in my final year at university.<br />
Bus (night bus) did not turn up and had to wait and wait and wait.<br />
Pulling my jacked up to sticking my nose and mouth inside the collar.

Best Answer

I am not in -0F weather often, but I have been. <br />
I have never had formal nose/mouth protection, but in the -43F I once experienced, I covered my mouth/nose with my gloved hand the entire time (in and out of a heated vehicle a dozen times in an hour). It was very uncomfortable, and if I'd not been young and full of myself, it probably would have been downright scary. I also had a beard which provides *some* mouth/nose protection... and boy did it ice-up!<br />
I was in -17 once a few years ago and it was not bad at all... I did not have any nose/mouth protection, but it was also *very* sunny... early morning, hot high-desert/mountain sun... it went from -17 at 7 AM to +17 at 9 AM while I was out in it the entire time... it was a magical moment.<br />
In the second incident, I think the "local" temperature around my face (in still air) was higher... I remember feeling like there was a bubble of heat/humidity around my head... and in fact, I was exerting a lot at the time (fixing a well pump) and even broke into a mild sweat at one point and noticed that there was steam boiling off of me. At that point, it was probably closer to 0F... the -17 was just at sunrise as I arrived at the well location...

Best Answer

did your thymus gland swell

Best Answer

how long were you out in it?

Best Answer

Are you an idiot?

Best Answer

No. My information comes from a News article.

Best Answer

You're a fcucking imbecile.

Best Answer

How? are you smarter than the doctors?

Best Answer

I've spent weeks on end in weather below 0F. No issues. You really are a dumbuck.

Best Answer

but how long were you out in it constantly?

Best Answer

For weeks on end. It was on a mountaineering trip in the Himalayas. What is it with you numbnuts and this story? You really are out of your fcucking mind aren't you?

Best Answer

maybe you were wearing protection for your nose and mouth so it didn't hit your thymus as hard

Best Answer

No for the most part I wasn't.

Best Answer

At times it was well below -30 in the evening, even in the tent. Again no problems.

Best Answer

1) How many times does this Q need to be asked?<br />
2) -2F isn't "extremely" cold...it was 8F in Boston today and I had no mouth/nose protection at all for up to an hour.<br />
3) In order to swell, a gland takes prolonged exposure. "instant" death is highly unlikely.

Best Answer

About 12 hours.

Best Answer

how cold was it?

Best Answer

A few degrees below zero, and I do remember my neck feeling swollen. These days I wrap up better.

Best Answer

degrees f?

Best Answer