BloviatingBuffoon BloviatingBuffoon 70+, F 19 Answers Oct 15, 2012 in Politics

Better than handing out cash, I think. At least you know they won't go towards drugs, booze or other stupid purchases. That said I think if government lowered taxes and cut red tape we'd have a lot less people who needed the help in the first place.

Best Answer

Anyone that is on the dole with a little ingenuity can turn it into cash - and they do.

Best Answer

But it's hardly anything if you have to still buy food. Are you saying they don't buy food and just sell everything to make a fortune? I get 267 dollars a month for the three of us.

Best Answer

No such thing as a free lunch. Thats' not just a saying. Those dollars come out of the pockets of taxpayers. If they weren't going into lunches, we might be using htem to build highways or kill terrorists.<br />
It's unfortunate that there is a lot of fraud in food stamps. You can watch people selling food stamps for cash outside of stores so they can buy drugs and alcohol. Kids lunches are often trashed since the free program only covers "govt mandated" lunches filled with things that kids - especially kids from poor households - will not eat.<br />
We have 47 million people on food stamps right now - that's 15% of our population. that's crazy. We can't keep that going even if we do increase taxes on billionaires and cut defense spending.

Best Answer

How do people sell food stamps these days with the EBT card? You pretty much have to go inside with someone so you can enter your PIN.

Best Answer

You know, it might be the state supplementals they are selling. I've never paid that close of attention. I have a friend works for the grocery store in town that tells me about it, but I don't get close to that kind of activity. Those folks look a bit scary.

Best Answer

You go in with the person that has the card you fill your cart with what you want then they pay for it, outside you pay them in cash a discounted around 50% the cost of the items. They take the money and buy pot and you go home with a cart full of cheap food.

Best Answer

you cant sell them

Best Answer

Well, maple just explained how it was done.

Best Answer

Whoa!!!!!

Best Answer

you assume the worst of everybody? to get food stamps you must prove a need

Best Answer

Promethius - There is very little means testing and no citzenship testing. it's a questionaire for childrens lunches and no one verifies anything.

Best Answer

Its called barter. You buy something someone else wants or needs and trade that for what you want. Some vendors cheat the system, accepting the EBT for the purchase of excluded items. Additionally, few vendors actually check ID's.

Best Answer
Best Answer

They buy pot with it? Wow. I've been doing it wrong for the past year!

Best Answer

If they aren't LEGAL citizens they aren't on the case but their income still must be counted as part of the household for food stamps. I don't know about lunches. Children with an IEP in a Title 1 school automatically qualify so while I apply every year I know we'll qualify. There was a non-citizen in our household until last year so I know we had to report his income but he couldn't be part of the case.

Best Answer

I personally am on it right now.<br />
it can be a good thing it is nice for those that need the extra help.<br />
But at the same time most people I know just simply abuse it. there are plenty of people that are out there and getting all the government help they can and not even trying to get to where they can be up on their own 2 feet and they don't see the point in trying cause the government is just paying for everything for them anyways.

Best Answer

I think everyone has a right to eat. Food is a basic need for survival....so if people can't afford it, it should be provided.

Best Answer

For how long? What's the threshold? Isn't 15% of people too much?

Best Answer

You know.....I think God provided us with what we need to survive, but somehow, man has taken control of everything and put a tax on it. Why should people have to pay for food in the first place?

Best Answer

Well, maybe if we cut taxes people could pay for things themselves. The problem with no cost is the waste involved. Go volunteer at an elementary school and watch the amount of food the kids on the free programs waste. If they aren't eating at home, you'd never know it from what you see there.

Best Answer

So screw them, then, right? Let 'em starve.

Best Answer

No,let them get jobs and provide for themselves. We've had bad economic conditions before. It was terrible, but mass starvation was not a characteristic of the dust bowl or great depression here. People are amazingly industrious when backed up against a wall, and in the mean time the money back in private hands moves around and creates wealth as it goes.

Best Answer

How many of the 15% are like me...Lifetime disabled. Should we only be allowed to eat for a specific amount of time. Federal disability is a F ing joke. If they put a time frame on it, that would be putting a time frame on my health.

Best Answer

I agree, basic survival needs should never be used a source of revenue.

Best Answer

If you are legitimately disabled, fine. Don't let those that aren't hide behind you and you'll be able to eat longer. There's a limit to how much money is out there. It's in your best interest to get slackers off the rolls isn't it?

Best Answer

They are very important programs

Best Answer

As a conservative, I agree that there are people in our society who genuinely need help to survive and that we as a society should provide that assistance where it is truly needed.<br />
Who truly needs assistance? People who, due to age, illness, or infirmity, are unable to provide for themselves. Unfortunately, I see a very large number of people who are physically and mentally healthy who should not be eligible for most assistance programs, except as a stopgap to assist during a serious illness or unemployment. Additionally, the system currently seems to reward some people for having more children they are unable to support and unwilling to parent. These people should be cut off of all assistance and the children taken from them rather than giving them more assistance for every child they pop out.<br />
Additionally, the support system in the US actually encourages the breakup of stable families and was in large part the cause of much of our nation's current problem with persistent poverty and single-parent families living in poverty.<br />
Pure and simple, the system is seriously broken and neither side is willing to do what is needed to fix the problems.

Best Answer

we have it all wrong, folks...it is the politicians who should be on public assistance, trying to survive from day to day-not the citizenry they are elected to serve!!! how come no one in politics gets laid-off....how come congress doesn't get outsourced to china??????

Best Answer

People get laid off in politics all the time. A bunch of them lost their job in 2008 and 2010 and more will in 2012. The rhetoric doesn't match the facts.

Best Answer

There's a lot of fraud but the programs are necessary to a strong healthy nation. The greatest nations in the world have these programs.

Best Answer

So we shouldn't get rid of the fraud then? I'm always wary of people who don't want to look for fraud. Seems like it would be in the best interest of those truly in need to keep the program lean. The more ways the pie gets spread, the less you get and after a certain point it's all crumbs anyway.

Best Answer

I never said anything like that. I was asked my opinion about food stamps and I said the programs are necessary. Yes there's a lot of fraud and that's what needs to be focused on, not trashing the people who are on the programs as freeloaders. Isn't that what you called me in the Obama-phone thread? There is a fraud department right there at DHS but I imagine it's backed up due to lack of funding. However it IS their responsibility to handle the fraud, not mine. They have people's information. I have nothing but my eyes. I see people coming into DHS looking sharp and driving nice cars and it makes me wonder, but then again 25 years ago I was at DHS getting help for my mother so I know not everyone in that office is there for themselves.

Best Answer

The biggest problem I see with them is fraud. I have seen food stamps sold for $.50 on the dollar to get cash for some recreational substance, I have seen them used to buy nonessentials like soda pop. Feeding the needy and children is one thing, allowing the system to be abused is another. When a single mother uses her food stamps to buy soda pop and frozen pizza then runs out halfway through the month the system is being abused. There needs to be tighter controls on who gets the assistance and what can be purchased with it. School lunches for those that need them are ok but those who's income is sufficient to pay for the lunch should do so.

Best Answer

I am on food stamps and I agree with you 100%. I could not make it through the month (average 60 dollars a week for three) if I wasted money on cokes and pizza and I know people do that all the time. But it's the same amount of money whether they buy pizza or frozen veggies. It would be difficult and really costly to determine what should qualify (frozen pizza IS food so although it's a poor nutritional choice) and then create an option in the store computers for non-EBT foods in addition to non-foods. I'd be all for it and I'd love to have the job of teaching others how to survive on very little because I've gotten it down perfect myself.

Best Answer

My opinion is thank goodness we have them. Without food stamps I would have died form starvation about 10 months ago. I feel they are great programs, that provide a very needed helping hand to some. I think the punishment for misuse of them should be very hard. Society already treats us who use them like we are garbage, so the people who use them to buy food so they can afford luxuries should have there hands broken...(not literally but its a nice thought sometimes.) However in Ca, I don't know about the rest of the US they are still using cost tables from the 1970's to save money and that makes it hard to eat healthy all month. The systems are in dire need of modernization because a loaf of bread is probably 10x more expensive than it was in 1970. I think the systems should never be used as a political bargaining tool. If a politician does dangle it in front of you, they should be deprived of proper nutrition and a meal for several weeks and then see if they still think its suitable political poker chip.

Best Answer

Elderly people need food. Especially if there is no one to look after them. In case of others it could be debated case by case basis.

Best Answer

The laissez -faire capitalism is,of course the exemplar,and if the "So called" poor are not savvy enough to get employment,how does that effect me? Is there not cake for them to eat?<br />
Let us return to those halcyon days of Dickens where debtors prison took care of the lazy and shiftless..and death reduced the excess population.If this is draconian,so be it,the truth is a painful mistress

Best Answer

They are necessary

Best Answer

As long as the people that are receiving it have a genuine need for it fine.........<br />
But it should be a crutch, not a lifestyle.

Best Answer

Both are necessary programs that ensure people aren't starving to death in the richest country in the world.

Best Answer