The Bible.

Best Answer

Come on, Song of Solomon rocks, and the sermon on the mount is completely devoid of negative bullshit.

Best Answer
Best Answer

I read it, interesting.

Best Answer

Probably my favorite book of all is Ecclesiastes. Takes a while to get to the point (almost amusingly so), but well worth it.

Best Answer

The first 2 chapters. <br />
Why? There's 2 creation stories in there, side by side, each in a different order. (Google it if you like.)<br />
1st Creation story, Gen 1:1 to 2:4<br />
2nd Creation story, Gen 2:4 an onwards.<br />
In the 1st, man is created last. In the 2nd, man is created first. There are more things in different orders, but man's creation is the stand-out.<br />
But!! Is that a discrepancy?<br />
Nope.. lol. In those days, historical accuracy wasn't a concern. Spiritual truth was. The authors of both creation stories had different intentions. Without going into depth, the first was to show the orderliness of God and the second, which led into Adam and Eve and the fall, was to show God's relationship with man. But 99% of Christians think there's only 1 creation story, and many of them take it literally.. lol.<br />
p.s. I'm not religious.. (was once).. but I do find the history/archeology/mythos fascinating.<br />
*********************<br />
There must be a limit to the number of responses to replies. Or is there a glitch? I tried to respond to ArchangelJophiel's very long response to me, but no reply window opens.<br />
*********************<br />
Well I'll just have to respond here.<br />
ArchangelJophiel, the two versions are clearer if you go back to the old Greek and Hebrew, but I'll try anyway. There is an *absolute* language used in the text, for example one writer talks about *all* of the beasts etc being created - not some here and later some there. There's no need for you overwhelm the discussion by a long winded list of every step, that only serves to bury the differences, which is why I listed only the differences. The rest is there for anyone to read.<br />
You can argue that one is the order of how things happened on earth, and one in the garden, but by listing the rivers, the Yaweh writer (J) sets Eden on earth, even if somewhat exclusive. So if *all* the beasts were created before man in one, and after man in the other, it shows they are different authors, as does the language, the use of God in the first and Yahweh in the second and several other factors. (It's been a while since I studied it, but if I recall correctly, the writer actually used Elohim in the first of the two. English translations don't always pass on the original word.. sigh)<br />
It also demonstrates the oral origins in the use of "firmament" and "vault", where the sky was a solid dome to which the stars were attached. Copernicus enlightened that view and accommodations have been made ever since for those who wish to fundamentalize the stories. People don't have the patience, especially these days, to come to any more than a shallow comprehension of such writings, preferring to either take it as a fundamental, literal history or reject it as a fairy tale. I personally see it as having beautiful integrity for the time and purpose in which the stories evolved, and having had their origins in even older beliefs (Sumerian and others if I recall - it's been a while).

Best Answer

Me too! I'm a Christian heretic and there is a method to my madness.

Best Answer

There should be more of us.... ummm... I think.. lol

Best Answer

There is! Anyone who has immersed themselves in the bible long enough to alienate themselves from practically everyone they ever knew.

Best Answer

I study both the Hebrew and Greek versions. I have for 13 years on a professional level.

Best Answer

...and I spent 16 years in IT.. there's no way to be across everything in IT even as a professional. Remind me though.. the memory is a little rusty. Was it Elohim that was used between Gen 1:1 and Gen 2:4?

Best Answer

pm please, since the question is resolved

Best Answer

My favorite is Austin 3.16

Best Answer

Yes. I remember that one, " If there be any who forgot to bring any than the many must bring the many any."

Best Answer

Huh?, austin 3.16 is "I just kicked your arse"

Best Answer

Is that where the term Bring it comes from?

Best Answer

Hey my man,I think this would be a perfect question for ArchangelJophiel to muse on!!What do you figure?

Best Answer

Just repeat after me. "BRING IT ARCHANGELJOPHIEL!!!!"

Best Answer

Bring it ArchangelJophiel!!!And Puck,you better be ready because this will be good!!!

Best Answer

I am writing a book about the alleged contradictions in the Bible, going into great detail on each one of them and showing how they do not really contradict. Only a tiny minority of verses people complain about are remotely close to being contradictory, and a quick look through a concordance (or my Septuagint and lexicon) fixes most of those. I think people WANT the Bible to contradict!

Best Answer

I very much agree.The truth hits harder than the lies!!

Best Answer

How about the language discrepancy in Genesis 10 and 11, did the earth speak the same language or didn't they?

Best Answer

Talk to the man my friend,that's why I summoned him.Though if memory suits me right,I believe everyone did speak the same language until that time where the tower of Babel was created to reach the heavens and pissed God off so He cursed them with foriegn tongue.Keep in mind Puck,I am not the one to wrestle the issue with.You rule brother!!Thank you for making my night a little more interesting than usual!!

Best Answer

Once again, you have to see the intent of the author(s). Like the two different creation stories in Gen 1&amp;2, they used events as a way of passing on spiritual truths, not historical accounts. And Genesis (the first 5 books actually) was written by 3 or possibly even 4 writers, with another who compiled the stories. We read them with our modern empirical minds and make the mistake of expecting biblical writers to be of the same mind set. These stories were originally passed down by orally, as a way of passing on traditions and values, and they believed that by reciting mythos, it would keep away demons. (Mythos didn't mean what it means today.. back then it meant the oral stories and traditions.)

Best Answer

Wrong, those are historical accounts. Ch1 is the creation of the world, and ch2 is the creation of the garden of Eden, Adam, and Eve. It is a non-contradictory sequence of events.

Best Answer

Only to a creationist. The different sequence of events is plain for anyone to see. The order of events, the language and intent are different in both accounts. The culture of the oral tradition was about passing on spiritual truths and cultural truths through story. Our modern empirical way of thinking sees this as a conflict if its not an accurate historical record.

Best Answer

Science confirms my view. And the language and intent are NOT different, you would see that if you would study the Greek or Hebrew.

Best Answer

discrepancy? lol<br />
wow.. humanity is dooooommmed. :(

Best Answer

Ah C'mon Everything's gonna be alright.

Best Answer

Reading that fuking book was the greatest waste of time and effort that I ever expended....other than trying to earn a living.

Best Answer

Hell, you know you're intellectually better off for having read it, There's some real good stuff in there.

Best Answer

you're right, that's where i keep my weed.

Best Answer

There are so many I just cannot decide.

Best Answer

The only contradictions I've seen come from people, not the Bible. It is usually do to ignorance, but sadly, some times, it's done deliberately to hate on the Bible.

Best Answer

Oh, I'm not hating on the Bible at all.

Best Answer

Okay, I am here. I was summoned lol! There are NO discrepancies in the Bible. There are many things that look bad out of context, that make perfect sense in context. There are misunderstandings about teh nature of God - He is vengeful, He is loving... well He is both. God is not limited to one emotive state, lol! I saw someone posted about the first two chapters of Genesis, which is actually an honest mistake a lot of people make. The first chapter is the creation of the universe and earth, the second chapter is the creation of Eden, Adam, and Eve. They don't contradict at all. There are similar explanations for all of these, and I have seen them all.<br />
To avoid a gigantic debate in the answers to this question, I open my inbox to anyone who thinks they have a contradiction in the Bible, and I will explain how it does not contradict. Just hit me with a private message.

Best Answer

Well done and thank you once again my friend!!!YEAH!!!!

Best Answer

Well, it is what my whole life is about, after all.

Best Answer

Any takers?Man up now!!!

Best Answer

I'm coming I'm coming..........Lets start with the number of horses in Solomon's stables...and move on to the earths languages prior to the tower of Babble ...for starters.

Best Answer

and then we can move on to whether Judas Hung himself or fell headlong into a field and spilled his guts out

Best Answer

and we'll pick up on the few hundred inbetween there

Best Answer

The horse numbers were from different times and are both accurate. One language before babel... what verses are you talking about with that one, though? And as for Judas, both. First one, then the other or from a certain perspective it was simultaneous. One gospel account leaving out a detail is not a contradiction.

Best Answer

You're good! In Gen 10 it speaks of people having their own languages and then in 11 it says that the whole world spoke the same language.

Best Answer

How does that contradict? I believe that people have always been able to handle multiple languages, yes? There was one common language that was effectively global, and there were tribal tongues that only some spoke. Babel removed the global language, preventing effective communication between races.

Best Answer

Another possibility is that they spoke different languages, then developed a common tongue, then after babel lost the common tongue. In any case, it is not a contradiction.

Best Answer

Sorry AJ.. The 2 creation stories is not a mistake. I studied theology. I can get into the detail if you like. :) Nor is it really a contradiction, except to those who want to see it as one. It's about the oral traditions that were passed down before people started writing, and then finally compiled into the Pentateuch.

Best Answer

Actually, here's a quick run order. 1st Story (where the word "God" is used) order of events: 1. Heavens and earth "created". 2. Vegetation and plants produced. 3. Creatures, birds, cattle, reptiles, wild beasts produced and created "every kind of living creature." 4. Man and woman are created. // 2nd Story (where the word "Yahweh" is used and the writing style is very different) order of events: 1. Earth and heaven made. 2. Man is made (before plants and animals). 3. The first trees and plants are planted. 4. Yahweh creates all the wild beasts and birds. 5. Woman is created. // If it helps, put them in order side by side. About the only things they agree on is that the plants came before the animals.

Best Answer

One of my replies here disappeared....
These first two have to do with the two separate creation stories contained in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 respectively. The first question asked is “What was the order of creation?”
According to Genesis chapter 1(whole chapter):
1In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, 2the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. 3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
6And God said, “Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so. 8God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
9And God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. 10God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. 11Then God said, “Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it.” And it was so. 12The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good. 13And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
14And God said, “Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, 15and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. 16God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth, 18to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
20And God said, “Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky.” 21So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind. And God saw that it was good. 22God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
24And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind.” And it was so. 25God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.
26Then God said, “Let us make humankind?in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.”
27 So God created humankind in his image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.” 29God said, “See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. 30And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
And according to Genesis chapter 2(vs 1-9 and 15-22):
4These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created. In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up—for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no one to till the ground; 6but a stream would rise from the earth, and water the whole face of the ground—7then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being. 8And the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9Out of the ground the LORD God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
15The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it. 16And the LORD God commanded the man, “You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die.”
18Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner.” 19So out of the ground the LORD God formed every animal of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name. 20The man gave names to all cattle, and to the birds of the air, and to every animal of the field; but for the man there was not found a helper as his partner. 21So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
And so the order of creation is as follows(gen ch 1): Heavens and earth, light, day and night on the first day; The sky on the second day; Dry land separated from water, vegetation on the third day; The stars, the sun and the moon on the fourth day; all sea creatures and birds on the fifth day; Land animals and humans both male and female on the sixth day. The things being created in chapter two are being created in Eden, after the creation of the universe in chapter 1. Yes, humans were made before Eden, and Adam was made later in Eden. This is not contradictory. It describes the creation of the human race, followed by the creation of a specifically significant individual and his wife. Plants were indeed upon the earth before Eden, and had yet to grow beyond seeds; yet God caused them to grow in Eden later. Again, this is in no way a contradiction- first one happened, then the other.

Best Answer

Luke 14:26- You must hate everyone you know to follow christ.<br />
1 John 3:15- He who hates is a murderer<br />
Revelations 21:8- All murderers go to hell<br />
All those who follow christ will burn in hell

Best Answer

Ok, that's one of those translation problems. Hate, according to any concordance, in that particular passage means disregard.

Best Answer

Of course those Greeks had four words for different types of love, as well as different words for different types of hate, In this case it was "miseo" meaning to love less.

Best Answer

The one here their bull **** god couldent handle iron chariots. How stupid are people anyway?

Best Answer

In all fairness, I must say, that the children of Israel tended to get their ***** kicked when they weren't in lockstep with Yahweh.

Best Answer