I'm all for the occupy movement - I live in a somewhat isolated community but if I was in a city you can guarantee I would be at those rallies. What it comes down to is that the richer are getting richer at the expense of the middle class, jobs are vanishing, and the current system of government has failed. Agree or disagree, that's the general trend.<br />
To address a couple comments: <br />
I'm anti-corporate and I have a cell phone. Does that make me a hypocrite? Honestly, who cares? I cannot exist in this society without buying products from corporations. What you're basically saying is that if I don't like corporations, I should go live in a cave somewhere. We all have to work to make ends meet, and we all exist in a society where cell phones are useful tools and I don't see any mom and pop cell phone manufacturers down the street. You make compromises to exist in society, and then you do what you can to change that society you live in. I commend people who do not buy anything from corporations, but they really do live in complete isolation from society. They aren't changing much. <br />
And as for the method - keep in mind that we believe that traditional methods of affecting change have failed us. Voting does not work, even if you vote really hard. Taking your pick of two (or four in my case as I'm Canadian) rich people working for the interests of other rich people will not fix the system. When writing your congressperson, voting, lobbying, boycotting - any other normal tactic fail you, then it's time to take to the streets. <br />
Now as for what they want - it's all about going in a certain direction. Pretty much everyone who attends will say that the interests of the middle class are not represented in government anymore. Banks need to be reigned in and put back under control, jobs need to be returned from overseas, and money the rich have stolen from the middle class needs to be returned. <br />
So I'm all for occupy. I'm not sure it will work, but I'm very happy people are trying SOMETHING. Writing letters to newspapers only gets you so far.

Best Answer

Ok. I understand and agree with you on a couple things BUT my biggest issue with them is their lack of respect towards people who don't deserve it. Why was my brother, an Army doctor, spit on? Why did I have some moron yell "F you" to me while responding to a call for an injured occupier? I would really like to know why I am targeted for wearing a uniform when I am essentially part of the 99%. I am a blue collar, lower middle class citizen but because in the minds of ignorant protestors I am evil for donning a uniform that represents the "government" I deserve to get cursed out, spit on or attacked?

Best Answer

I'm disgusted by that behaviour and unfortunately I think its one of the side affects of a mob of people - the uniform, though it was not a police uniform meant "the man" to some people who weren't thinking. That's not an excuse but an explanation.
It's actually a major problem with activists. They do not realize that students and young people, who are the most vigorous protesters, are only a few. Everyone who works for a living needs to be respected - ESPECIALLY those in the army who do some of the hardest, toughest work. That kind of inclusiveness should be present everywhere. Unfortunately its not and I'm appalled by that behaviour. You have every right to be disgusted.

Best Answer

There is a lot of anti Jew murmuring among them, and some of them certainly have done some gross things. I think they've got some legitimate complaints but they're complaining to the wrong people.

Best Answer

I have heard the anti-semetic remarks some have made and it bothers me. I also believe their frustration and hate is being misdirected. My brother is an Army doctor and he was spit on by an occupier. What did he ever do these people?

Best Answer

The anti-semitism stuff is a bad attempt to discredit the movement. The Anti-Defamation League has not found any evidence of an anti-semitic trend. There is a LOT of information out there about how this is a near-total fabrication.

Best Answer

There is an awful lot filmed and chronicled.

Best Answer

It was enough to make Israel Today take notice.

Best Answer

They are expressing frustration... most are not sure where to focus their ex<x>pressions.

Best Answer