One of the biggest mistakes I have ever done was drinking and then driving (DUI). After getting out of jail and one of my requirement is to go to AA meeting. Which I saw more of a hassle but whatever it takes for me to get out of this pickle. The first meeting or all 4 meetings, I went to was really depressing. Everyone was general nice but if you don't follow the AA schedule of the meeting then some people will get upset like group praying. The fourth time I went to AA, I did what I always do when they do group prayer. I say, sorry but I don't pray, and I stand back and let everyone hold hands and they say their usual same prayer about Our Father. For some reason the person who was in charge of the meeting this night told me if I don't pray with them then he would not sign my paper. I was surprise when he said that but still did not join. I talk to the guy after the meeting and ask if he was joking and he said no. I got one of the other members to sign. I feel unconformable going now
feinburgrl feinburgrl 26-30, M 25 Answers Nov 12, 2009

Forced government religion. Completely in violation of the first amendment, and virtually any federal judge looking at it would agree. Here's who we have to thank for this horrific theft of our liberties: Reagan and Dubya, who each thumped their Bibles while setting the intellectual climate of America on deep freeze.

Best Answer

Seriously...that would be good IF AA was religion...IT IS NOT....

Best Answer

why not try praying on a prayer mat to Allah see how mr brainwash likes that.

Best Answer

I'm sorry about your situation. I would feel the say way about prayer. I don't believe that it is proper for a court or any branch of government to force us to participate in religious activities. I'm also sure that none of us has the resources to take a case like this back through the courts have our constitutional rights enforced. Did you have an attorney representing you? You or your attorney could contact the court, express your issues with AA and ask if another alcohol program could be substituted. <br />
Good luck.

Best Answer

I don't agree with Fourandahalfdays......how is praying part of the penalty of drinking and driving? Prayer has nothing to do with it. I say go with forgottenangels suggestion..go outside when they pray and get the other member to sign.

Best Answer

AA is not a religious cult,sigh.the guy who tried to get you to pray unwillingly is a fuckwit,he is not following our principals or group guidelines.I've forged plenty of those signature cards,in my checkered past,but grateful that AA has provided me with mental tools to quit drinking.I go because I like it,now-yes,I was court ordered also.<br />
I'm not a damned christian,either!I value honesty,integrity and non judgement-those are core values in recovery-try some other meeting where Mr.bookbanger has no power,sounds like he doesn't work a very good program himself,which is what it's all about.<br />
yes,Bill Wilson learned from the oxford group,borrowed what seemed to work and kept an open mind.I'll look into that orange book,thanks,crosseyedmary.I like history and learning from mistakes-there are many in this world.Just do your best to do what the judge reccommends and things will work out.it takes time.

Best Answer

AA is a cult, go to orangepapers.org for the full online book about how it has its roots in the Oxford Group, the Buchmanite religion and ties to Nazis.

Best Answer

Thats a load of shite. There was me thinking that AA was all about trying to get help and no judgement. For **** sake, who the hell said that you had to be religious to go to AA. Well that is just plain wrong that is. Is there no other meeting that you can go to.

Best Answer

That is ridiculous and I am sorry that you feel uncomfortable, it makes me sick that christians feel they have cornered the market on sobriety and anyone that doesn't follow their stringent guidelines can't participate...

Best Answer

I am sorry that you incurred that awful treatment. Most times it is not like that at all. Try other groups, because what I know is Atheist, Christians, non believers, it doesnt matter THEY ARE ALL WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! NA meetings do not evn say the Lord's prayer anymore. Good luck and God bless you

Best Answer

By faking it and just going along is outrageous! Even more, that you people are telling him to shows how people will go along with anything! BS! Stand up and tell them that you will not be forced to do anything that you don't believe in. Imagine if our forefathers just went along and pretended! We wouldn't have any amendments to have violated. No! I'm not going to pray. Yes I drove drunk, obviously I was impaired and I'm paying for that and hopefully learning from it but it's not going to be the path by which you ***** me of my rights! America! Freedom! Why does this have so little meaning anymore? People did die for you to have it. Many of whom used alcohol to face their demise in war. Pretend and go along?? Hell no!

Best Answer

Ha Ha .. I go to AA Meetings and when we do the our father I always say - Our Father who art in heaven - Howard be thy name. haha... Quit you whining suck it up and sign your own court paper or get someone else from the group to sign it. You wont have to go forever and soon you will be able to get **** faced again and if lucky you will kill someone driving drunk and you will get to go to prison and you aint gonna like what they will do to you in prison, but hey.. at least you wont be forced to pray anymore, although I suspect you will learn how fast.

Best Answer

First of all the meetings are (according to the AA big book) not supposed to be organized. It is about recovery, and understanding a common problem. I learned the most important thing through my experiences, and that is motive,If my motive is good than I can live with myself.Check your motives and don't let others dicourage you.You have as much right as he does to be there.AA is not supposed to be affiliated with any religion or Government agency,

Best Answer

they took that mandatory AA stuff out in California, got a DUI and didnt have to attend one AA class, just the DUI program.

Best Answer

I go to AA. I don't pray either. I'm wondering if your meetings are like ours....we stand in a circle and say the "Our Father". I usually just hold hands and out of respect, bow my head. "It works if you work it, so work it you''re worth it." i don't believe that they should have that prayer in the meeting. The serenity prayer is different; It's more about whoever your god is, unlike the "Our Father" which arts in heaven.

Best Answer

I always wondered this myself. Isn't there another kind of AA type support that doesn't include religion? You could fake it, I did for 15 years with my family. I never believed, I just went through the motions because they believed. Though maybe that wouldn't be good enough for Mr. Youdoitmywayorelse.<br />
How about going to a different AA meeting in your area and asking the group leader beforehand about this. Then you'd know one way or another what decision to make before the end of that meeting.

Best Answer

you know the prayer but don't want to say it? a lot of people in your situation feel like God has turned their back on them. one of the AA phrases is "fake it 'til you make it" so just do that. it can't hurt you to be a part of the group and hold hands....it might help someone else even if it doesn't help you. just mutter the prayer along with everyone else, you don't have to shout it to the rooftops, just give it a go. nothing bad will happen if you don't, but something good might, just might, happen if you do. good luck. dui's are no joke, be grateful no one was killed.

Best Answer

Look, I had to go to rehab, NA, and AA when I was 17. Here's my advice, just play along. You don't have to believe in a 'higher power' to mumble some words or wharver, "Thank you Jesus" The point thing is get what you can out of the experience, learn, grow, and move on. Prayer is just prayer if you don't believe in it.

Best Answer

You make a point of informing the person that it is against human rights to force religion upon others if it is un-welcomed.. It sounds like the person running the group is a God thumper and needs to be told that not everyone needs to live their life that way. Get your papers signed by whoever you can and if possible talk to whoever sent you there and explain it to them Now! Before you are done the course and have to do it again.. *eyes roll*

Best Answer

Just pretend and get it over with. Or, you could just not go to AA and deal with whatever the judge decides to do to you instead. The key point is not to get arrested for drunk driving again, and you won't have to worry about going to AA after this silly little incident is over with.

Best Answer

Being a nonbeliever myself, I find the fact that they can violate amendment 1 of the constitution by forcing you to attend a program ba<x>sed in religion to be absurd. Quite honestly I would take this to court, but if that's too rash for your situation then I would say you should just tough it out with the knowledge that you are the most rational person in the building.

Best Answer