This woman I work with is constantly clearning her throat. It's like every 3 minutes. It's driving me insane. I snapped at her last week and she stopped for a while and she's doing it again. She says she can't help it, but I think there's gotta be something she can do. HELP!
Roserick22 Roserick22 41-45, F 17 Answers Sep 29, 2009

Mucus is draining into the throat because the body thinks there's an infection perhaps? Probably due to allergies.

Best Answer

It can be a few things.

Allergies

Acid Reflux

Nervousness

You might asked to be moved, or file a complaint. If it's distracting you that much, and keeping you from your work, I'd think about that approach.

Best Answer

She probably has allergies, and it can be VERY hard to stop. Trust me I know. I'm on 2 sprays, and 2 different allergy pills and I still get it. I'm going through allergy shot now, hopefully that should take care of the problem.

YOU think it's annoying, try being the person who has to do that all the time. Who constantly feels like they have something stuck on the back of their throat, then it's clear it or choke! Ok, rant done. Anyway, that person probably finds it far more annoying then you.

Best Answer

I've always had the same issue. Turns out I've got Asthma. Excess mucus builds up and the only way I can get air into my lungs is to clear my throat. Imagine how your coworker must feel not being able to breathe.

Best Answer

loool my younger brother does is.. and I yell at him.. it really gets on my nerves so bad, like just as bad as someone scratching a board. I feel like I want to punch him in the face and I am not a violent person. It is so offensive to me.

Best Answer

She could very possibly be on drugs.

I know when i was popping pills (cough medicine especially) everyday i ALWAYS had to clear my throat i couldnt talk unless i did it..thats how my friends and boyfriend would ALWAYS know if i was on drugs or not, it was the first signal that i relapsed to my addiction.

Best Answer

I used to have this problem in elementary school, and was teased for it. I also had asthma when I was little. There could be a connection. It would probably be best to try being patient and not saying anything. I remember trying not to, then I couldn't breathe, and had to, then everyone would laugh and comment. It is absolutely humiliating.

Best Answer

Start running your fingernails down your desk or something that will cause a equally irratating noise or whistle the same tune over and over again

Best Answer

Konrad has a point it may be attributed to mucus. Is she a smoker? If she is a longtime smoker, she is right, I think it would be hard to stop clearing her throat. She could replace the throat clearing with the "smokers cough" but that would probably just be as annoying to you.

I would suggest to her to consult with a physician to find the origin of her consistent throat clearing to rule out a medical cause.

Best Answer

Could be mental like ocd or Tourette's syndrome. If she is disabled in such a way there is nothing you can do. If you harass her about it on the job you could face legal repercussions do to laws that protect the disabled.

Best Answer

My late atep-mother had this same condition but her throat clearing came from a hernia in her abdomen.

Best Answer

I'd request to be moved, she probably feels as bad about it as you do.

Best Answer

Maybe she's trying to draw attention to the fact that there's something stuck in your whiskers?

Best Answer