I just got my bachelor's degree. Have a summer job that's pays decently, and I just working to save up money. Option A: Get a more permanent job there (would be pretty easy for me to do, since they like me but its pretty boring work and undermines my education) Option B: Look for a job elsewhere...in what idk.... Option C: Travel :3 Perhaps do something like teach English abroad Option D: ___insert your own suggestion____ Gimme some ideas. Much appreciated <3
spreadyourwings spreadyourwings 22-25, F 5 Answers Jun 10 in Community

Go with whatever honestly feels right to you. But if it undermines your education? It ought not feel right. Teaching overseas sounds like an educational plus, and not just along academic lines.

Best Answer

I like the idea of teaching abroad...now is the time in your life to have an adventure. What type of degree do you have? That can make a difference.

Best Answer

Yeah I agree! Speech Pathology, somewhat relates...I guess.

Best Answer

now is the time in your life (prior to significant others, mortgages and children) when you can take some chances and try some things out. Go out and experience the possibilities......It will help clarify what you want later.

Best Answer

must go out an experience life....after I take a nap lol.

Best Answer

any interest in outdoor conservation? This is a good organization:

http://www.thesca.org/serve/young-adult-programs

Best Answer

Also....see if you can land a job with a cruise line company....you get work and travel.

Best Answer

Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated. I'll take a look at that website :) Thanks again!!

Best Answer

How about looking for a job in the field that you obtained your degree in?

Best Answer

Cause I realized too late that its not for me. :/

Best Answer

What is your degree in?

Best Answer

Speech Pathology

Best Answer

Did you do an internship or hav any experience working in the field?

Best Answer

Yes, my college required us to have clinical experience in the field. But it wasn't until my senior year, and that's when I finally realized I wasn't crazy about the field, I need my master's anyway to really do anything with my degree. And I'm just not feeling grad school right now...

Best Answer

Pick up a couple of business courses and just start applying for as many positions as you can. Why didn't you know that you would need an MS before you started the curriculum? I hope you didn't run up student loan balances.

Best Answer

i didnt plan accordingly? It's a catch 22, you don't know what you wanna do until you've experience it, but you can't know if you don't like it until you try it....

Best Answer

Many prospective students make contact with individuals in a field before committing to spend time, energy and money on something they don't understand. Man look for volunteer work in the field while completing general degree requirements. Did you speak with anyone in the field before committing?

Best Answer

I guess I'm not like many people. I was just looking for advice on my next step, not looking for someone to critique the decisions I've made....jus saying...

Best Answer

Before you can plan a "next step" you need to review the decisions that you have made and understand why they got you to the place where you now find yourself. Just forging ahead will only create large problems for you. Have you looked into career counseling provided by your school or by outside sources? Have you looked into taking a few courses that will make you more employable in a different field? Do you have any idea of what you want to do with your life or where you want to be (career wise) in the next five years? ....... jus saying...

Best Answer

*facepalm* no, hence the question!!! Lol, u seem like you have an attitude! Or you're mad at me for some reason!! Lol, I don't get it.

Best Answer

The problem is that you "don't get it". You made bad choices by not having properly researched and planned. You still don't acknowledge those errors and just want to run into the future. By examining your mistakes, you can better make a plan so that 4 years from now you are not the originator of another thread bemoaning the fact that you are on a career path that you don't enjoy.
You asked what I would do if in your situation.... First I would find out what I did wrong to get me where I am, then I would look for a field that interested me. Then I would examine that field in depth as I have mentioned above. Then I would prepare myself to entire that field. Finally, I would seek employment there. Your original post seems to indicate that you feel that there are only a few options in front of you... none of which you have adequately explored. I suggest to you that there are many, many more options that you are ignoring.

Best Answer

Marry me

Best Answer

Come again?

Best Answer

Teaching English abroad is an incredible way to see parts of the world and make new friends. You could do this while you decide what you really want to do. Would also look good on a resume.

Best Answer

yeah I've been thinking about this option and I'm started to seriously consider it more and more. Would u recommend getting a TESOL (I forget the acronym)? Or do you think its not necessary? Have you had experience teaching abroad?

Best Answer

I think it is definitely a good idea to get certified, but I don't know what the opportunities are like if you don't.

Best Answer

Oh so you haven't gone abroad then, Thanks for the answer tho!

Best Answer

I had a friend that went to Japan. She ended up living there. I researched it 2 years ago. Unfortunately circumstances made it impossible for me.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear that :/ Lol, people's responses are making me wanna look into this more and more :3

Best Answer