an angel, a darling and other sweet names.She also says how much her daughter loves me and she talks about me to other parents and colleagues in a very positive way. The other day as she was leaving, she said "Bye baby" but I assumed she was saying it to the child I was carrying. Today, I saw her in town and she shouted out "Hi baby!" and then gave me a massive hug. I am not uncomfortable with it as such but do find it a little odd to be so affectionate with someone you barely know? She is at least 36 years of age and I look a LOT younger, does she possibly just think I am really young or something?
Jenni855 Jenni855 26-30, F 15 Answers Jul 19, 2012

She is sending a message to others you two are more than acquaintances.

Best Answer

Would you really think that though? She is married with 3 kids.

Best Answer

Others don't know the details.

Best Answer

Well, I think that would be ridiculous if they thought that. I look about 17 and she looks about 36 (at least) so I would be surprised if anyone thought that.

Best Answer

Women with 3kids can't be gay?

Best Answer

I feel like it's her way of saying "hun" or the like. Some people are comfortable using pet names with people they just met. I would just let the lady know you don't like being called that or ask her "please call me by my name not 'baby' ".

Best Answer

It's not that I don't like it, I just find it a little weird and I am worried that she thinks I am REALLY young.

Best Answer

Well than take it as a compliment and go with it lol.

Best Answer

If you want her to stop calling you childlike names, speak to her in an adult-like manner.

Simply tell her: "Ms./Mrs. So-and-So, I appreciate that you are comfortable enough with me to be casual. However, I am a professional whose job requires the respect of these children and, in order for them to respect me, they need to see the example being set by their parents. So, going forward, I would appreciate it if you'd address me as (insert name here)."

Done.

Best Answer

I don't want to be all weird about it. I am not uncomfortable with it as such, I only asked the question as I didn't realise people spoke like/acted like this towards someone who isn't that close to them and who isn't an infant if that makes sense.

Best Answer

Well, it's just an expression of care, I suppose. I don't know what type of job you have, but if you're "working with kids" I'm assuming you're old enough to be out of high school. So the youngest she could possibily assume you are is what -- 17ish? What's a decade?
(I wish people mistook me for 21. lol)

Best Answer

I would be mortified if she thought I was 17 but that's her own problem I think and not mine if she does think that.

Best Answer

If you should decide to follow up on this, keep in mind that your employer might want to protect themselves from a possible law suit and fire you.

Best Answer

Why would I want to follow up on it? It does make me laugh how everyone turns things sordid.

Best Answer

Maybe she likes you, in more than just a "you care for my child" way. If you are interested it might be worth exploring, or if not maybe you need to sit down and lay down some boundaries to her.

Either way I don't think you should ignore it, by doing so you could be leading to bigger problems down the road.

Best Answer

She's married and there is definitely no interest on my side! Sorry but this made me laugh!

Best Answer

she's just sweet:)

Best Answer

She is very sweet and loving.

Best Answer

A lot of people in London and Essex call each other 'Babes' all the time. Its just a term of affection. I shouldn't worry about it.

Best Answer

I guess...

Best Answer

I bet she is just one of those sweetie baby darling name users and you just have to suck it up I hate being called baby by anyone that I am not dating.

Best Answer

Yes, I do know a few like that.

Best Answer

I wouldn't think a lot of it. Sometimes people say that to all kinds of friends they have.

Best Answer

Yeah, I guess.

Best Answer