the key to your home to their girlfriend/boyfriend without asking you?
PrincessMaine PrincessMaine 46-50, F 39 Answers Mar 17, 2010

Change the locks and make them pay for it out of their allowance.

Best Answer

Yes I would, that's very irresponsible.

Best Answer

Good reason for taking away the cell phone or computer for awhile! Or the door off their bedroom.

Best Answer

Yep, sure would !!!

Best Answer

Absolutely! That's not his/her home and it's not available for free access to anybody! <br />
l7 year olds are more that capable of this behavior, time to sit down and have a family meeting. <br />
He blew it! Give him a chance to redeem himself in your eyes. Let him know how disappointed you are that he betrayed your trust and then forgive him. <br />
As with any child, he needs to be forgiven but keep your eyes wide open in the future.

Best Answer

I think they should ask your permission first you don't want any old tom, **** or harry with your house key if anything gets stolen they'll get the blame first.

Best Answer

Yes, I would be angry and the level of anger would depend upon my opinion of the BF/GF invovled, but there would be anger no matter what. <br />
My response would be to ask him/her whether they would be upset if you let a friend of yours wander through their room without them being there. I would also try to explain that while they may feel totally trusting and safe with this GF/BF they did not have the right to force the rest of the family into sharing that trust.<br />
Their 'lesson' would be to go with me to the hardware store and buy new locks for all the doors and then install them. I would then give them one key and insist they promise to never copy it without my or my wife's permission.

Best Answer

I would have a talk with him with his Dad present to explain your feelings. <br />
You would know by how much he protests if he understood how it violated your trust in him. <br />
You may be surprised by his answer and his remorse for his action.

Best Answer

i would as I am the one who decides who comes into my house.

Best Answer

I probably won't get angry anymore. But a taste of his own medicine would probably make him remember how irresponsible his move was. Give away something that is important to him as well. If he would feel violated by it, then he will no longer violate or disrespect you next time.

Best Answer

FOR DAME SURE!!!<br />
I would remind my child of the potential dangers that come along with such an act. Let them know that their girl/boy friend could easily let others in, tell them to hide in a separate room, walk my child in and rape them, beat them, and even murder them. <br />
This let's me know my child has not fully understood the power of trust and responsibilities that come along with it. This is a bigger issue than simply handing the keys to my home over to some random high school kid. Most people don't tell their kids of the dangers that are hidden in our every day lives until something happens. <br />
Let your kid know what's up. Let them know not to put the control of their safety and well-being in the hands of others. This situation could have turned for the worse had the young man or woman who received the keys has seen this breach of security as an opportunity to do serious irrefutable damage to your child and family. <br />
I would be very bold and straight forward about the situation. All I can say is for you to step it up and let them know what's the big picture here. Houses can be replaced, our loved one's can not. At the end of the day and the argument what matters is that your child is safe and not stuffed in a black trash bag behind you shed.

Best Answer

I would probably go into some sort of manical rage for several moments before calling locksmith to change locks then I would insist on said child paying me back for that expense.

Best Answer

Not angry, but yes that's really irresponsible and somewhat disrespectful, I'd sit down with him/her and explain why that was just plain dumb, if they don't agree with me, oh well, just take their key away ;)

Best Answer

Very dis-respectful. Your house should be respected and you should give consent before someone is given access.

Best Answer

Yes... because it's YOUR home, not just his. If it was solely for HIS room, then if I were you, I wouldn't have any problem..

Best Answer

I might r e a c t angrily but, stop and think for a moment. You may have missed the point here. He is 17 and paying you a great compliment. He feels so at home with you hes treating the house as HIS HOME, and making adult choices like "You can come to my house whenever you want". Sure, define the boundaries but don't be too harsh. Before he becomes a responsible adult, he has to make mistakes too. How else will he learn.

Best Answer

I would be furious and make him pay to have the locks changed and new keys. I would punish by taking away something he values like internet time, Ipod or cell phone and tell him if he ever does something to put you and your family at danger like that again he will be finding another place to live.

Best Answer

better give it back.

Best Answer

I think that the fact that you worded the question to show "STEPson/STEPdaughter" is inappropriate as it shows your feelings towards him already. However, that aside, I think that it would be disrespectful for him/her to do such an act. I think you should sit down with him/her and ask him/her to explain why he/she did that and you should try to understand why he did that. If the answer is something like "idk", then you should explain why he shouldn't do that and probably have the keys changed because that shows that he/she doesn't know much about his/her boyfriend/girlfriend. However, if he gives a reasonable answer like "I know that I can trust her and she was having a problem with her dad mistreating her and wanted to know if something happened, she had a place to come to and feel safe" or some other emergency that doesn't just sound made up, then I would still tell him/her of the dangers of such an act, but I would decide to show him/her forgiveness and hopefully, he/she would have learned his/her lesson.

Best Answer

I don't have keys so I guess it would't matter

Best Answer