flipper1966 flipper1966 56-60, M 16 Answers Oct 4, 2012 in Hobbies

I lost a ton of weight on an exercise bike at home. The reason it worked for me is because I got changed, went downstairs, worked out for an hour and was done. A gym membership would be horrible for me because I would probably lose interest and motivation half-way through me getting ready to go.

I only have so much time. Having the machine at home really helped.

Best Answer

If you are not exercising now, then neither of these things will help. Go for walks or runs. If you like the workout, then spend the money.

Best Answer

I'm actually a compulsive, self-motivated work out addict. So believe me, if I had my own machine I would use it every day.

Best Answer

If it's difficult to be motivated by exercising at home or by going on walks/runs, then go for the gym membership and check with your medical insurance provider to see if they provide discounts on gym membership.

Best Answer

The only piece of equipment I have that has stood the test of time is a simple bench.

Other pieces that have been purchased and either re-sold or junked are:

- treadmill

- Total Gym

- Elliptical

- rower

- stability bar

So, it does depend on the equipment. But, finding a "cheap" gym is a better option (in my opinion)

Best Answer

Neither one is a good investment if they are not used.

Best Answer

It is much harder to hide an entire gym under your bed...

Best Answer

For me, it was getting my own equipment.

Best Answer

gym membership better u have instructor, u meet friends , and u can save too seeing people there that already had great body more inspired u to work out more...;)

Best Answer

if you dont use either one...then why waste your money on them...you have to motivate yourself.....dicipline is the key.....invest in that....first..

Best Answer

Gym membership. Equipment depreciates. With a membership, you can save yourself from that and from the maintenance. You also get try a variety of equipment.

Best Answer

A gym membership is better

Best Answer

Depends: Some people need a place to get up and go to and other people prefer the privacy of their own home.

It's the level of discipline, I suppose

Best Answer

If you buy a decent non-gimicky piece of machinery and combine it with the right floor excercises then it can be a much better investment than a gym membership.

Best Answer

Saving your money for something else would be better. Go outside and run, do pushups and crunches in your living room. Eliminate sugar from your diet, soda etc. eat healthier. in10 weeks I dropped 105 lbs from 255lbs to 150lbs. No sh**! I started and finished each day out by running as far as I could before and after bed, and then would speed walk back home. I started out simple doing only five pushups & situps before and after bed, before and after using the bathroom (unless I really had to go and just did 10 after), before and after eating, and before and after smoking since I am a smoker. I smoke ten or more cigarettes a day so starting out I was running half a block speed walking back half a block back, doing 30 pushups for meals, anywhere from 20 to sixty for the bathroom, and 100 or more for smoking. Each week I increased the number of situps & pushups by five until the increment was just too easy (at fifteen, so I increased them to thirty before and after). If you don't smoke, set an alarm for every one to two hours and pay your debts then. Do your pushups and situps wait five and then do them again. Make sure you test yourself before you start and at the end of each week by doing as many pushups then situps in one sitting as you can. Make sure each day you run that you pace yourself, you're aiming to eventually run for twenty to thirty minutes, minimum. You shouldn't run longer than an hour. Then target distances, destination goals once you can run without stopping for the full time. Seriously, don't waste your money. Pay yourself to be your own trainer. And don't give up if your results are slower than mine were. I attribute my success to determination. Also, stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. Observe the color of your urine. If it's dark, your drinking too little, if it looks like water is or very light in color, maybe too much. Should be a light yellow color. If you see clouding, that's your salts and or sugars you're peeing out, so you should put a little of each back in. Don't give up, and good luck.

In case you don't want to take the advice of a soldier, I'd go with the gym membership. Maybe they'll say some of the things I just did and you'll have paid for a confirmation that you don't need it.

Best Answer

That's really great, man. Awesome story.

Best Answer