I'm even too afraid to go to school, talk to people, go out, etc. I used to call it anxiety but I'm not sure that is very accurate.. Does anyone know? I don't get panic attacks, I just get terrified, like right now just the thought of going to school tomorrow makes me so scared that I just want to hide under my covers until someone says I don't have to go.
KnightOfJustice KnightOfJustice 18-21, M 10 Answers Sep 18, 2012 in Health

Sounds like Agoraphobia.<br />
Emily Dickenson had it so bad her doctor had to give her a physical from a across the room.<br />
I'd suggest calling about therapy, you need to work through this.

Best Answer

I can't even imagine how to begin doing something like that...

Best Answer

Its called life. Being scared is normal, letting it control you is not. The more you hide, the less you will be ready to face whats around the next curve. The more time you spend alone, the longer you will dwell on all the things that make you unhappy and scared... the more faults you will find in yourself to make you think others will not accept you. The trick is to find something outside yourself to immerse yourself in. Some people write, some people join bands, other paint or scultp or cook. Volunteer at an animal shelter, take karate - - just something that you wont find too threatening to give it a dang chance. Do not expect this one attempt to make your life perfect, it will still be life, but the more exposure you have the more you strenght you will have to face another day.

Best Answer

From my experience the more exposure to my fears that I have, the worse it becomes.. Going to school itself it so difficult, I don't care what others think of me. I'm just so very scared of it all, social situations to me is like a giant spider to someone with arachnophobia.

Best Answer

Exposure without retraining your reaction won't ever help if you have a true anxiety disorder. Exposure therapy starts with talk, some CBT, then when it looks like you might be ready, THEN exposure. I have a really bad needle phobia. Every time I'm forced to be exposed, like when I was pregnant, everyone who knew my problem made cracks about how now I could get over my phobia, and 'see it wasn't that bad', but it WAS that bad, and it will continue to be that bad every time I'm forced to be around needles until I learn to retrain my reaction. And the meds help too. ;)

Best Answer

get to the root. there is a reason for this. trauma of some kind.

Best Answer

Well perhaps I spoke out of turn... and you should probably seek professional help... I hope you are able to find someone. I have been on meds, I have had theraphy, I lost my home, most of my family, all the people I thought were friends. I couldnt get a job because I couldnt go to a job interview without crying... I didnt date (and still dont... guess I am not cured... but at least I can get out there now)...anyway, I hope you are able to find the help you need.

Best Answer

and again, you will note I said you have to find something outside yourself to immerse yourself in... and you are concentrating on the school issue...but there are other things that are like a babystep. Like small group therapy... or a charter school... or just something where instead of being exposed to 20 or 30 people at a time to whom you have no relationship you can start with 2, or 5 or maybe even 10, but others besides yourself with whom you have a connection, wether its the agoraphobia you have in common or a love of music, or games or art or food or whatever it is... just a common bond. I am only replying so much because I FEEL YOUR PAIN.... and you are so young I dont want you to let this ruin your life. You must be bigger than your problem... no matter how hard that is... its worth it in the long run.

Best Answer

Shitless ?

Best Answer

lol ;)

Best Answer

I became that way due to PTSD. Post traumatic stress disorder. I am only comfortable with family and not all of them. I have trouble relating with people. I guess at the present what happened that made me this way defines me. I have constant anxiety and fear. I sit in a spot where I can be aware of anyone coming to my home or any danger. <br />
Do you sleep okay? That is part of my problem.<br />
I suggest talk therapy. You need to find out what the trigger to your anxiety is. It could even be hormonal. Eat well stay away from sweets and other simple carbohydrates. Try to listen to relaxing music, meditation, pray, take walks. Exercise helps. Pets are great, too. Do not get talked into medicine before you have a chance to find out if health,dietary changes and a little talk therapy are effective. God bless. I am sending good thoughts your way.

Best Answer

no, not really. If I didn't take melatonin I wouldn't be able to sleep until it was around 8am.. I really don't want the next day to come. But I'm too scared to talk to anyone, especially about this.. My diet is fine I guess, I don't really eat candy or anything like that. Relaxing music just makes me tired, and I don't want to sleep just yet. I'm not religious either.. Thank you for your advice.

Best Answer

Look in to meditation. You don't have to be religious for it to be helpful. I think it's saved me and I lived with what you're describing for 30 years. I wasted my whole life letting these fears hold me back. You have some sort of anxiety, maybe social phobia, whatever. The diagnosis won't matter as much as working on the solution. There are great therapies for us. I've been in cognitive behavioral therapy for about a year and I've overcome several phobias, especially the agoraphobia. There are also meds that you might need. Are you able to see a doctor?

Best Answer

Respectfully, try everything before meds. Some increase anxiety and give people suicidal ideas. I speak from experience. That and when one med does not work they may add another until you are addicted and still not recovered. There have been exposes that reveal that many drugs are no better than a placebo, but in fact harm your brain by changing it and increasing metabolic disorders such as diabetes and thyroid dysfunction. These things do not go away when you go off a med either. Too tired to cite sources, but check these things out yourself.

Best Answer

ha ha... well believing in God, or no believing in God is a personal choice, but having read all the comments, its seems like popular opinion has you going to physicians and taking medications... so when it comes right down to it, do you want to trust a doctor who will cares about you in a monetary fashion, and will you rely on prescription medications that have side effects that can cause death by complications or suicide and are likely to be recalled, or would you, could you, with an open heart and open mind, give God a chance. Just talk to him the same way you would with a counselor or psychatrist, and its okay to say God... I dont believe... I want to believe, but its not there... if you're there, can you let me feel you, if you're there, can you show me you care? if you are there, can you ease this burden just a tiny bit... because I really cant carry this all by myself. Just see what happens. It might work.

Best Answer

Or maybe depression. But please get some professional help.

Best Answer

I know that I have that, but this seems to be different.

Best Answer

I was going to say panic attacks or agoraphobia.. but that is just an opinion from someone who doesn't know you. Anytime your emotions are stopping you from functioning you should seek help.

Best Answer

How would someone be able to help me? I don't see how talking about this with someone could fix me.

Best Answer

agoraphobia. i've had it since 2009

Best Answer

unless by do anything you mean come in contact with people. then i's social phobia.

Best Answer

It's more than just that.

Best Answer

It's called placing your concentration deeply in the wrong spot and giving too much mind to what people think about you.

Best Answer

I'm not sure I even care about what others think, it's more what I think.

Best Answer

its may be more what you think, but I think that we tend to see ourselves in the way that we THINK others see us.... but when you dont react to them or with them, then you are not priviliged to have the good interpretations that come with the bad. They might see good stuff in you you dont see... and wont see until you see it through their eyes. Even if you are like me... and I am not around other people, not because I am scared of them, but because I dont like them... but when I get right down to it, who I dont like is me.

Best Answer

It's that too! It takes a decent amount of practice to see the more positive side of yourself.

Best Answer

Paralysis?. oO

Best Answer