Questionator Questionator 26-30 199 Answers Feb 28 in Community

Question of the Day

50 shades of grey - worst excuse for consentual domestic violence and mommy p*rn that i have ever heard!

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

you make an excellant point

Best Answer

What I don't understand is the novelty. People have been writing this stuff for years. I was 18 when "The Story Of O" was made into a movie. So what's the big deal?

Best Answer

For years? Try centuries. Marquis de Sade was the first.

Best Answer

the big deal is marketing and hype and that overall people love to be part of it all. when you were 18 there was no internet its far easier these days for anything to become viral or overhyped look at twilight which another mentioned and there are many many examples in book tv and movie form plus music too. gangdam style for **** sake complete terrible song but millions loved it. zero taste and yes i will judge lol.

Best Answer

Gangnam Style is may not be a masterpiece, but the beat, the dance, and the video were awesome. The first time I heard it was just before a Korean Army sponsored 5K over in Afghanistan.

Best Answer

Well said. Gold star for you.

Best Answer

Well, it WAS originally written as Twilight fanfiction.

Best Answer

I was going to say this, but you got it down already. So I'll just give you a heart and agree.

Best Answer

Technically it's not critically acclaimed. I don't know of any critic who didn't hate it.

Best Answer

Oops :P I posted my comment without seeing this one

Best Answer

very true most critics think its badly wrtten which it is but once something is popular no one cares. so technically this answer is wrong but i didnt like the book so im happy its winning and others also saw through it.

Best Answer

total waste of time and money

Best Answer

It is not at all representative of the lifestyle. Much like the story of O, Secretary , The pet, etc.

Best Answer

I don't think it was ever critically acclaimed... Just popular

Best Answer

you forget it was borrowed from another badly writt4en book TWILIGHT. She wrote a book mimicking a horrible book. Gah I HATE fifty shades.

Best Answer

Dude, the guy whipped ana with a belt while she was pregnant and the line was " oh i bet our child likes sex too because he just kicked" ok ewwww

Best Answer

Hahaha. Couldn't have said it better myself, BlueMetalChick :)

Best Answer

im so happy this was mentioned and jecrois should win best answer. i argued well discussed this very book with a friend recently who said it was so sexy and couldnt understand my point that if any guy acted like that in reality no inteligent woman would think its hot or cool. the masses love the book but the masses are dumb as **** and love the hype train or fitting in without thinking it through.

Best Answer

I disagree. I enjoy that series and to be honest, I am into almost everything that he is. I enjoy the bondage and all that. There is nothing wrong with doing things like that if he/ she enjoys it.

Best Answer

The Bible, it's virtually unreadable.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

Ooooh edgy

Best Answer

Not edgy, it's an old one. I gave up trying to read its hodgepodge of stories and make sense of them long ago. Now I just pull random quotes as needed like everyone else...

Best Answer

If you were reading the KJV then I completely understand lol

Best Answer

KJV and NSV but that doesn't matter, The Bible, like any other storybook lends itself to be reinterpreted by anybody and everybody and since there were many authors who's to say what's "right?"

Best Answer

All text is open to interpretation once it is put to paper. The bible is no different, problem is some people take it too seriously.

Best Answer

If the bible weren't the declared and holy word of god I'd agree

Best Answer

A jack in the box receipt could be the declared holy word of god if enough people said it was. The bible can be a wonderful tool for enlightening oneself, but it is only one of many. I can't help feeling like people become too attached to certain religious texts, symbols, and ideas and end up missing the point--like staring at the finger rather than the beautiful sight it's pointing at

Best Answer

Hmm, I just find it comical that those who tend to preach the good word are usually the first to judge those that ignore them, therefore defeating the whole purpose

Best Answer

Exactly, look at what horrors are perpetrated by today's bible waving crowd as well as horrors committed by their progenitors in all generations back. My current personal favorite is non-consensual female genital mutilation to prevent sexual pleasure-ever, but you could also try convincing me that there aren't any wars that aren't exacerbated by religion.

Best Answer

What cultists think literature is has no bearing on its quality as literature.

Best Answer

A good translator who reads Aramaic, English, Greek, Latin, and Hebrew? Nothing mystical or relativist about translation bro.

Best Answer

Yes, multilingual translation services were easily available back then, there were so many educated cross-cultural writers. Luckily it was fiction so a factual writing was not necessary.

Best Answer

Good translation of mythology is very necessary. The Bible may not tell us about the universe but it tells us a great deal about Christianity, a major sociological force.

Best Answer

Well said! I hadn't really considered just how much it tells us. Who needs the puzzle that it proposes? I mean, think about the hours of human misery that the bible still causes today - I remember hours on end of listening to Sunday school teachers and our pastor drone on and on. Go ahead, someone tell me that today's church/mosque/temple is so much fun for a 13 year old atheist that they don't mind going to whatever **** they make 13 year olds go through these days...

Best Answer

Yeah, you can't understand the crusades or racial slavery without understanding how the Bible was interpreted to justify them by very Christian societies who took it for granted not only that the Bible was absolute truth, but that interpreted properly it would reflect their values.

Best Answer

HAHAHAHA at first I was a little offended by what you said, but the pulling random quotes thing is SO true lol

Best Answer

Right, just because many say it doesn't make it true. There is not much original enlightening thought in the bible, it's more a "Greatest Hits" type thing. You know, "here's what we know up till now" as swiped from the cultures the bible's authors had contacted.

Best Answer

Stop reading it!!!

Best Answer

Are you kidding? The Old Testament beats Saw for blood, guts, and vengeance!

Best Answer

Hahaha.. u are funny :D

Best Answer

The Holy Bible is words on paper, it only comes Alive by the power if the Holy Spirit, and it's secrets are hidden from the worldly wise, only the humble of heart can see and know it's TRUTH and be set Free

Best Answer

First of all, Why Do You Capitalize Random Words? Second, what proof do you have that that is correct?

Best Answer

It's all down to FAITH, only FAITH pleases God

Best Answer

Really, master of the universe and he just wants his mud sculptures to give him credit? What a childish demon.

Best Answer

You literally just said you'd have to be stupid to believe it and this is a point of PRIDE for you? I don't agree with either. Plenty of educated Christians.

Best Answer

And I suppose you have a humble heart? I suppose you can tell me what I need to do to get one too?

Best Answer

Yes I do, and just humble yiurself

Best Answer

See, that's the "thing" about religion. It's filled with people who have found something they could understand, latch on, and then trumpet the truth and the light and the way. Religion is simply a way to bully others - sometimes just a little pushy, other times, brutal and bloody. No thanks, I'll rely on science to provide the best knowledge of the day and my own moral compass to determine how I live.

Best Answer

If you change your mind ( I pray you do) Gods arms are open for you, right until you draw the last breath God placed in you. I fear science and your way will only lead you to a sad lost eternity. Yet Gods love for you holds out until your last day. God bless you

Best Answer

"...I fear science..." Yes. We know. *rimshot*

Best Answer

I was offended by genesis and stopped right away.

Best Answer

You should never stop reading something just because it offends you--especially something like the Bible. Btw, I'm not a christian, but if you read the Bible and you don't take it literally you can learn a lot. Peace~

Best Answer

I was offended by the fact that it starts off on a premise stating that I am a woman who has been 'cursed' with painful menstruation and child birth because a woman was curious which is something that is absolutely essential for the progress of human beings. I have the bible in front of me right now and I am typing the words from 'god pronounces judgement'-- ''I will increase your trouble in pregnancy and your pain in giving birth. In spite of this, you will still have desire for yoir husband, yet you will be subject to him.'' As an educated woman I feel I reserve the right to stop reading. And without curiosity you wouldn't be in this position to connect to thousands of people right now.

Best Answer

Like I said: don't take it literally. An educated person would recognize that people back then were ignorant of some things that we today understand, but that does not mean that everything they had to say should be discarded. And an enlightened person would be confident enough in their own beliefs and self to expose themselves to ideas they disagree with.

Best Answer

I have exposed myself to ideas that are unknown to me and then after reading carefully i have arrived to the conclusion that i disagree with it. You are saying that people back then saw things differently, so are you saying that God didnt say that and didnt know better back then because according to the bible that was God's statement in genesis quote unquote. Or are you saying that God had nothing to do with what is said in the bible and that is something I can totally agree with.

Best Answer

I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, and I'm certainly not advocating blind belief in 'His' word, haha. Most Christians would probably consider me an atheist, but I do believe in a god and that god wrote the Bible in a very literal sense, though they did not realize that they were god at the time haha

Best Answer

I have a problem with the idea of a vengeful god. I feel most organised religions including mine were literally organised by human beings who wanted to control the masses. I never think of myself as an atheist because I do believe in a higher power, something about the fact that our planet is so conveniently the third planet located at a perfect distance from the sun and had everything to support life and facilitate evolution.

Best Answer

No one HERE is asking you to read it as the Word of God, just to give it FAIR treatment as a culture's philosophical mythology. Can you do that?

Best Answer

Philosophical mythology? Really? I can live with that I guess but its still not as good as Harry Potter :D

Best Answer

I like LOTR myself.

Best Answer

I hear what youre saying and the bigger picture now without reading those words is that women all over the world pray and beg for pregnancy though they know the pain associated with it. Its just like any other struggle in our lives you take the good with the bad and move forward. The Bible has a lot of good things about women. Im not telling you what to choose or damning you to hell by my own words, but it is written those who reject the word will suffer. I feel that pride or offense is a silly reason to let so many great comforts and words of wisdom pass us by. Don’t get all mad at me either I was respectful.

Best Answer

Throw away Plato's republic, Ghandhi's Truth, the Constitution n Declaration too. Literature is not a modern political treatise. A modern progressive would consider Lincoln racist and Susan B Anthony in favor of male dominance had they written today. Would you refuse to read them? The culture that predated the OT and the NT were MORE sexist. Were Jesus alive today he would be a feminist. Understand it in the context of culture and times.

Best Answer

The Bible has not maintained its central role in our culture because of being "critically acclaimed" as great literature. Heck, the New Testament was mostly written in a kind of Greek slang (called koine Greek) that not even native speakers of Greek would use with each other. (Koine Greek was a simplified language that made international communication and commerce possible in the Hellenistic world.It was "business Greek.") In addition, some of the New Testament writers, like Mark, didn't even know this kind of Greek very well. The writing is not exactly eloquent.

As C.S. Lewis put it, just as the Son of God was made incarnate by being born to a humble family in a stable, so the Word Of God was made tangible in an equally humble manner.

The bible has brought me to tears. The bible has inspired me. The bible has challenged me. the bible has literally brought me to my knees. I go to it again and again.....but not because it is great literature.

Best Answer

Carrie part 2.

Best Answer

There is beauty in simplicity. Ever read Beowulf. IMO the Bible is GREAT literature. But it doesn't SPEAK to me like the Prose Edda or even Tolkien. Aside from being irrational, it doesn't FEEL true. No spark. I can't fall in love with it. Therefore I can't see it as the Word of God, but a charming Middle Eastern anthology.

Best Answer

Theres a book named "The Story" it puts the Bible in chronological order and in story format. Try it?

Best Answer

Fiction is still fiction.

Best Answer

Yes. And we're discussing the quality of fiction. What's wrong with fiction?

Best Answer

We learn a lot from fiction. Harry Potter had a big impact on my whole generation

Best Answer

I don't need another translation of the Jesus myth. I'd rather read Carl Sagan or Stephen Hawking, or Hunter S. Thompson - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Incredible advice and I don't have to worship him...

Best Answer

You don't have to worship Jesus either. people just do.

Best Answer

TITANIC..<br />
I still can,t believe how I wasted a lot of time watching it as I was a dashing, excited and emotional teen

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

Don't tell me what happens!

Best Answer

Yes, absolutely. I can't believe people love it so much. It's awful.

Best Answer

It is a DiCaprio movie. Total junk.

Best Answer

dicaprio is a great actor so your strange to blame titanic on him plus he was young at the time and chose far better films since as well as before. blame the director and writers for the junk it was.

Best Answer

they love it because its extremely black and white cut and paste and very simple love story too. it requires zero thinking and so it appeals to the masses, it didnt appeal to me with the bad acting and ridiculous characters. the effects were great though but thats the only thing good about it.

Best Answer

oh yes i can understand that but see its kind of more than a movie for you due to your father telling you about it and it creating an ongoing interest wiht the whole event. taken from a strictly film making and scrip writing point of view it is a bad film. there was no person as bad as billy zanes character on the real titanic they made it such a fantasy and i felt the fact all those people died at the end was already sad without the need for the love story and the no room on the wood part thrown in to make people cry. i am judging it more from a strictly film making and acting point of view though and understand your view.

Best Answer

Plus you could guess the ending half way through.

Best Answer

wonder why all the ladies I know liked it and all the men Ii know said the same thing about it lol

Best Answer

You should see Titanic 2 it was so good!

Best Answer

I also love that movie

Best Answer

Noooo way, that movie is the best. Although I am still resentful to this day of how obsessed I was. The time I spent...

Best Answer

love this answer too yes whenever someone tells me their favorite movie is titanic i know their taste in movies is very lacking lol.

Best Answer

i was exaggerating for humour but seriously if titanic is a persons all time favorite movie they are not really into film. its ok to love it or love anything were all different and im sure many other movies you like are great but titanic sucks hugely as far a film making goes and script writing and acting. dont get nostalgia mixed up with the reality and it has aged badly apart from the sinking part.

watch this you tube link yes its doen for fun but does poin tout how stupid the movie actually is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5VtLL-JqU

Best Answer

War & Peace. Over 1200 pages to come to the conclusion that peace is better then war! Good heavens, all you'd need read are headstones in a military cemetery to discover that.

Best Answer

Truth!

Best Answer

lol. my parents grew up in soviet russia where war and peace was required reading in school.. and neither one of them ever got through the whole thing...

Best Answer

Twilight

Best Answer

Is it critically acclaimed though?

Best Answer

Depends on who you're considering critics.....and which critic's opinions we're going with because the consensus amongst professional critics is split half and half between absolutely loving it and absolutely hating it. Meanwhile all critics professional and otherwise combined it is more acclaimed than hated.

Best Answer

I couldn't read more than three pages, it bored me half to death.

Best Answer

i don't know why teenage angst became so marketable and so badly written...John Hughes died and with it, died great teenager films...and for monster love stories, i would rather watch Blood and Chocolate

Best Answer

Anything Star Wars

Best Answer

Haha, I was that boy once...THEN I BECAME A MAN lol

Best Answer

Yes, they are vacuous entertainment but they may have a dark side. ;-)

Best Answer

I liked the original trilogy. The prequels, not so much. lol

Best Answer

The Satanic Verses. I couldn't make heads or tails of that bloody thing.

Best Answer

If it's existence hadn't been so controversial, I never would've bought it. I'm surprised anyone understood enough to take offense.

Best Answer

Agreed! It was given to me by a friend, who read it, with the request that I read it and explain it to him. I could not.

Best Answer

I read it just to see what all the hubbub was about.

Best Answer

Levay is insane and uneducated.

Best Answer

The bible itself is a waste

Best Answer

me either but keep it on the shelf as a victory over evil - considering the threats for just owning a copy!

Best Answer

The Great Gatsby, couldn't believe they remade the movie

Best Answer

It was a set text at my school too, Robert Redford couldn't lift the original film

Best Answer

Yes,though the Redford version was actually the second movie version of the book.

Best Answer

agreed i'm reading it now it is the most over-hyped bullsh*t ever! And I love reading!

Best Answer

Hunger games (the movie, not the book). So over-hyped.

Best Answer

I watched the first one, well, half of it. Then I slept through the rest.

Best Answer

Woody Harrelson killed it. Such a horrible actor.

Best Answer

I like woody Harrelson in Cheers though

Best Answer

Nah, cannot really agree with that one.

Best Answer

Cheers and Kingpin were his best movies, as well as, Zombieland.

Best Answer

I like Woody Harrelson!

Best Answer

Absolutely dire movie. I can't say too much though because I gave up watching fairly quickly, despite Jennifer Lawrence.

Best Answer