LawnMexican LawnMexican 22-25, M 71 Answers May 29, 2012

because suicide is a PERMANENT solution to a TEMPORARY problem.....

Best Answer

This is perhaps the most repeated, and most inane, response to any question of suicide. Many, many people who struggle with thoughts of suicide do so for many years without the 'problem' showing any signs of surcease; yet these people are told that their 'problem' is temporary? Has the definition of temporary changed? As far as it being a permanent solution: well, yes, death is certainly permanent (as far as we can tell anyway) ,but then, we are all going to face it at some point. Suicide is merely an encounter with death at a time and place of your own choosing.

Best Answer

I disagree...as someone who spent years in depression and was highly suicidal, I speak from my own personal experience. And, the simple fact is that most people who take their lives do so out of the feelings of hopelessness caused by depression and/or substance addiction. These are certainly issue that do not have to be life-long. I also feel that the word "temporary" implies days, weeks, or perhaps months. But temporary, in the context of our entire lifespan, can be years and years, which, to someone in a fragile state of mind can seem like forever. As for your comment on the most " repeated &insane" response to the question of suicide...perhaps it is the most common because it carries a certain truth to it??? I'm curious what, in your mind, would be a permanent problem to which suicide would be a reasonable solution?

Best Answer

My bad, didnt realize th person had full blown aids or irreversable cancer.

Best Answer

The response to "what's two plus two?" is very often four. That doesn't make it inane.

Best Answer

I also speak from personal experience, and have suffered from depression for well over 20 years; a depression that I have been told is permanent and will always require medication. Always. That is not a temporary situation. I will confess that I think about suicide from time to time, although I have no plans to go through with it; but who knows what the future will bring. How will I feel in 10 more years? I think that, overall, that qualifies as a permanent problem. As far as suicide being reasonable, that is entirely up to the individual, no one can tell him or her what is reasonable or best or whatever for his/her situation. Only ones self can make that determination. Now, as for the oft repeated 'permanent solution to a temporary problem" I think that, instead of it carrying a certain truth, it is merely a casual answer to offer, similar to a television ad jingle: easy to remember and gets stuck in your head. It offers nothing worthwhile, but holds the distinctive aura of a platitude.

Best Answer

?

Best Answer

True, but it does make it trivial.

Best Answer

I suppose air is better than dirt.

Best Answer

You don't know what happens after death...there is some mercy in that because often times suicide is a reaction to knowing life is torture and it will be torture every single day...at least with death there is a chance to change things...but its a fallacy life won't always be the same there is just as much chance that tomorrow will be better than today as there is that death will be better than life....

Best Answer

Life may not always be the same, but that doesn't mean that it will be better; statistically, things in general get worse over time.

Best Answer

Actually there is no statistics stating that in general things get worse.
I didn't say it would get better I said it could get better...surely it will be different.

Best Answer

You've truely missed my point... you know as much about what death will bring as you do about what will be tomrrow.
You cannot predict the future. You cannot know what lays on the otherside of death.
Because of the lack of knowledge you can only assume death can be no better for relief than tomorrow might bring

Best Answer

You also miss my point I think. I know that death will bring a end to what currently is, just not what it will replace it with, possibly something, potentially nothing. I know what it ends, just not where it ends up. I also know what, in general, will be tomorrow. I know that I will go through the same routine, i.e., get up, go to work, come home from work, go to bed, rinse and repeat. The details might change a bit, but not too drastically; the framework remains the same. Tedium ad nauseaum. But realistically,
what you point out is that both options are in fact of equal value since in both cases you cannot know the final outcome; kind of a pick-your-poison situation. Not really a
reason to not commit suicide at all, but merely a reflection on the available options.

Best Answer

Depends on the statistics you are looking at I suppose. It is a fact that as you age, your body becomes less able to handle injury and illness, that you are more susceptible to cancer, prostate problems, respiratory problems, basically a whole host of issues medically. You also slow down metabolically, lose muscle mass, and start experiencing cognition impairments. This is well documented . While these are a normal part of the aging process, I also see them as things getting worse over time. This is just internal, it doesn't even get into the external issues plaguing the world; i.e. global warming, the energy crisis, widespread famine, wealth concentrating in the few, the rise of the Praetorian class, etc. These issues are, historically, tied to the inevitable decline of a civilization, a normal, and therefore statistically provable, process.

Best Answer

The best, and the only reason, has to be your own. NO ONE can give you a reason not to commit suicide, it has to come from within yourself.

Best Answer

If your serious- it hurts, sometimes for short or longer periods depending on the method, worse case scenario you get it wrong, your still alive but with a smattering brain damage/disability. <br />
The other thing that has been mentioned earlier on- there is always something that can be done- I have never ever come across anyone one that is beyond help- as long as you take the time to see and talk to someone.

Best Answer

"It hurts" -good answer ; short and honest.
"There is always something that can be done" - yes, there is, but not always something that makes any kind of difference. Sometimes, despite everything, its just not enough.

Best Answer

The sun'll come out<br />
Tomorrow<br />
Bet your bottom dollar<br />
That tomorrow<br />
There'll be sun!<br />
Just thinkin' about<br />
Tomorrow<br />
Clears away the cobwebs,<br />
And the sorrow<br />
'Til there's none!<br />
When I'm stuck a day<br />
That's gray,<br />
And lonely,<br />
I just stick out my chin<br />
And Grin,<br />
And Say,<br />
Oh!<br />
The sun'll come out<br />
Tomorrow<br />
So ya gotta hang on<br />
'Til tomorrow<br />
Come what may<br />
Tomorrow! Tomorrow!<br />
I love ya Tomorrow!<br />
You're always<br />
A day<br />
A way!

Best Answer

In feudal Japan, suicide was the honorable thing to do. It wasn't until Christianity came along that suicide was thought to be wrong. I think the best reason for not doing it is that you will deeply hurt the people who care for you.

Best Answer

Life is a gift. The pain won't stay forever. Believe me. But anyone thinking of committing suicide should seek a psychiatrist's help.

Best Answer

There IZNT one for someone wth suicidal intentionz.

Best Answer

point.

Best Answer

You won't live to regret it.

Best Answer

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Best Answer

I find the following poem to be very true and have written it on little post-its and have it on my fridge to look at and remember that when you hit rock bottom there is only one way to go. UP
I'm just sharing it with no intend to offend you or anyone else :) The last two lines are my favorites!
This Too Shall Pass
If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be-
If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt me-
If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that this will pass away, too-
Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all of the chains
That are binding me tight in the darkness
And trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning
And I know that my morning is near.
...Helen Steiner Rice

Best Answer

You yourself are the reason. If you dont love yourself then who will?

Best Answer

Depends on the person. Depends how heartless they are, and if they want to hurt everyone else around them. Also depends on their reason for wanting to commit suicide in the first place. Different reasons would require different answers to this question. Suicide is a very delicate topic. The answers don't come in a "one-size-fits-all" category.

Best Answer

Why are suicides always accused of being heartless and/or deliberately trying to hurt everyone around them? Many seriously depressed/suicidal people are hanging on only because they don't want to hurt those dear to them, therefore they endure the suffering as best they can. Suicide occurs when they can no longer endure. Is it not, then, heartless and selfish for those around them to ask that they keep suffering so that they will be spared the hurt? Let me ask this: if you make a life decision that someone close to you doesn't like, are you being heartless for going ahead with it even though it is hurting someone close to you? Will you not marry, not have children, not move away, not buy that house, not take that job, etc. if someone feels that you shouldn't? Or will you be 'heartless' and do what you will with your life despite objections? The sad fact is that, no matter what, someone always gets hurt.

Best Answer

Let me elaborate for you, shall I?
As I said later in the comment, the answer to whether or not you should commit suicide does not come in a "one-size-fits-all" category. It does not say you are selfish or heartless for committing suicide. The fact of the matter is, there are people who end up being completely selfish and heartless, and don't care about anyone else, hence why they do. Obviously not everyone fits this description. There are people who do it to save others. There are people of unsound mind who do it.
Obviously you do what you feel will be for the "greater good" or whatever your morals lead you to believe. But usually the people who commit suicide do it because they can't handle anything anymore and they give up instead of looking harder for the answer. Then they legitimately think that there isn't any better possible solution. If they get into the mindset of wanting to kill themselves, there will always be an excuse as to why certain solutions don't work for them.

Best Answer

O.K., perhaps I misread your original post and took it to mean that all suicides are heartless and hurtful (although it does appear to suggest that initially). Mea Culpa. however, I do think you are making the same mistake a lot of people make on this subject; namely, that a suicide cannot handle anything anymore. I think can't is the wrong word, with the wrong connotations. While there may be suicides that actually can't, there are also many that wont. What I mean is that, although they are capable (after all, look at how many suicides come as a complete surprise to even those closest to them) they have reached a point where they are no longer interested in continuing. You call this giving up. Fair enough, but lets examine the issue. You say that they have given up instead of looking harder for the answer; but we do not know how hard they have been looking or if, in fact, there is an answer. After all, an answer to what exactly? Is there even a question? Once having given up, they then 'legitimately think that there isn't any better possible solution". What if they're right? Better is a relative term, with individual meaning for each of us. What's better for you or me might not be for them. Only an individual can decide what is better for him or her self. Finally, why do you feel that they need an excuse? If a certain solution doesn't work, then it isn't really a solution at all, is it?

Best Answer

reallybored556: thank you, but really I'm just trying to give an alternate point of view, and perhaps shed some light on why so many of these 'reasons' fail to make a difference. I know many of these good people are sincere in their reasons, but I think that this might help them to see how these things are viewed from a
"suicidal" point of view, so to speak.

Best Answer

^^ And this reply shows exactly what I mean. The thing is, when something gets out of balance, the world will always right itself again in time. Everything always has a way of getting back to equilibrium.
Suicidal people don't realise this. Or maybe they do, and just can't be bothered to wait or whatever, but the point is, this fact is ignored.
If the idea is actually set in their mind that they're going to commit suicide and they have no fear of death or anything about the idea, they will find the way to make suicide look like the best option compared to any of the other options. Frankly I don't know why you insist on arguing with everyone over this because it's very irritating trying to find the comment again.

Best Answer

And this reply shows exactly what I mean, too. When something gets out of balance, the world does not always right itself - sometimes it might, but just as frequently it continues to degrade. People who are so adamantly opposed to suicidal ideals, for want of a better term, refuse to acknowledge this. They refuse to credit the cognition of another thinking, rational being because they cannot accept that this being might have a different viewpoint than they do, and of course, their view is the only correct one. Therefore, the suicidal individual, by default, must be wrong; their problem is that they 'ignore' the truth that is so plain to these enlightened souls, or they 'can't be bothered to wait' (for what, I wonder?) or they, just for kicks, convince themselves that suicide is their best option. It couldn't possibly be that, for the suicidal individual, it actually is their best option, Oh, no. That will never do. They couldn't possibly have weighed the alternatives and found them lacking, instead they sought out reasons to overcome the survival instinct
and convinced themselves that it's for the best, despite all the evidence to the contrary. I wonder why someone would go to all that trouble? it doesn't make a lot of sense.
By the way, it takes two to argue; I am merely replying to comments posted - note the little word below the comment that says reply? It is an invite to reply, but it seems that you are aware of this fact, at least. As for the comment you are trying to find, this is originally a question - what comment are you looking for? I don't seem to be having any trouble finding the original question or any replies thus far..

Best Answer

the best reson.... all of those *** holes who enjoy keeping you down, insulting you, find pleasure in your pain; if you go through with it you just let them win. you told them your done playing the game of life they beat you. I've tried 4 times to kill myself because i have nothing to live for. no family, friends that live around me, job, or love in my life. all i get to do is walk up and go to bed. it has been a week since i have left the house to go to ..... any where. no one wants me but i get by.

Best Answer

Become my friend :) I'll show u how life is so much fun

Best Answer

sure friend

Best Answer

I don't have time to scroll thru the 60+ comments, so forgive me if this has been written previously. Suicide is a bit selfish because it hurts your friends and family so deeply. A parent never forgets the loss of a child, no matter how hard they try. Your *true* friends and other family members will never forget it either. <br />
One of the greatest artists who ever lived, Vincent Van Gogh, committed suicide. He was only 37. Think about all the art he could have given the world if he had lived a full life.<br />
Bottomline: Live a full life - you never know how much you might accomplish. Suicide is never the way out.

Best Answer

Life is a gift, You can't just throw it away. reasons include:<br />
-You will go to He**<br />
-You HATE everybody that surrounds you<br />
-You aren't a Christian<br />
God may be trying to show you something, or teach you. Many people ask "Why God lets bad things happen" Well, That is because he is trying to tell you something. You can't commit suicide because It hurts BADLY and not only that, It might (fail) .

Best Answer

its a capital sin.. and it doesnt solve anything

Best Answer

You have a whole life ahead of you and no matter how BAD things are, killing yourself is honestly not going to solve anything. I think that if someone will go all the way to the stage of even thinking about suicide, all they really need is like someone to talk to about the things they are dealing with such as a physicologist of maybe like a close friend.

Best Answer

Because you might fail. Think about it before you react

Best Answer

if what mystics and yogis say is true, it is that we have to meet the same circumstances again until we have worked through them.

Best Answer