Questionator Questionator 26-30 583 Answers Mar 25 in Community

Question of the Day

If you work hard you'll get ahead. Wrong! The lazy suck ups get ahead.

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

well said

Best Answer

I have to agree.

Best Answer

LOL. Sad, but true.

Best Answer

In my experience, that isn't a lie. I put in the effort and have done well. It was a long hard road but if you preserve you will look back one day and see how far you have come

Best Answer

Me too. I worked hard and owned my own business for 35 years. I wasn't lazy, nor was I a suck-up.

Best Answer

OMG, THIS IS SO TRUE. I am dealing with this at work right now. This lazy co worker who is always getting out of work and taking I don't know how many breaks a day is the bosses favorite. My boss even buys her gifts she can do no wrong but if work you butt off and never take a sick day and hardly even get a thanks or a good job or jack. OMG, SO TRUE.

Best Answer

So true

Best Answer

yeah but I've seen them come and go at the job where I retired. They will rise to the level of their incompetence and shoot themselves in the foot.

Best Answer

I see it at work. They're too sorry to learn to do simple stuff. Then they go into management and tell old timers how to do their jobs.

Best Answer

Yea, my mom used to try to make me believe that as well, but my father was more honest, he always told me "you'll never get rich working for somebody else", probably the most honest thing my dad ever told me.

Best Answer

You can get rich as an employee. But you'll be doing illegal things.

Best Answer

What exactly do you have to preserve in order to get ahead? How many mason jars of stuff do I have to save up in order to get paid what my labor is worth? My great aunt preserves a LOT of things like green beans, peaches, pickles etc. With my own eyes I've seen the mountain of jars sitting there collecting dust. She still lives in a run-down house with peeling paint. I don't see how preserving things will get you ahead unless there's a nuclear war and food becomes scarce but to each his own.

Best Answer

"Ahead" is a shorthand way of saying "living a comfortable life where you don't have to worry about stretching your paycheck to make ends meet." No, life isn't a race of course but if you think there isn't an America with gated communities, penthouses and jewelry for pets and another America with ramshackle ghettos, small houses, poverty, kids going to bed hungry at night and parents who send their kids to school with rubber bands holding their shoes together then you've been living under a rock.

Best Answer

You ain't kidding! It is so true.

Best Answer

You ain't kidding! It is so true.

Best Answer

What exactly do I have to preserve to finally be paid what my labor is worth or at least something close to it? Peaches? Green beans? What? My great aunt has a bunch of stuff preserved in mason jars and it hasn't done her any good whatsoever.

Best Answer

And what was the surplus value of your workers' labor? (Unless you were a one-man business, in which case I apologize as one-man businesses are the ONLY kind that don't take advantage of their workers.)

Best Answer

"Ahead" meaning living a comfortable life where you can make ends meet, you don't have to choose between food and medicine, you don't have to save up to be able to afford to buy a new pair of shoes etc. Nobody said life is a race but if you think there aren't two Americas, one with gated communities, penthouse suites and jewelry for pets and another America with ramshackle ghettos, kids dying of an infected tooth because their parents can't afford to take them to the dentist and kids going to school with rubber bands holding their shoes together then you must be living under a rock.

Best Answer

The best way is to be born to wealthy parents.

Best Answer

It depends on the situation ,and on the people involved.

Best Answer

And to some degree, on the workplace.

Best Answer

I agree, and it is as you say. But I would be content with being able to pay my bills and have a little left to enjoy. I really don't care about the gated community or the penthouse.

Best Answer

"This [spanking] is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you."

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

Yeap... they acutally convinced us also!!

Best Answer

Best Answer

Yep I heard that one.

Best Answer

yeah, that one was a load of crap

Best Answer

[spanking] is a s3xual perversion, nothing more.

Best Answer

Hey - that's what I was going to say! Actually, I didn't figure out what a lie that was until I had children of my own. Trust me - it hurt them a lot more than it hurt me!

Best Answer

Same here, Angie!

Best Answer

I always thought that was a lie too, until I had my own child. It tears me up inside to have to spank him (which I very seldom do), it does hurt me more then it hurts him, no lie. If it doesn't hurt you to spank your child, I worry about what kind of parent you are.

Best Answer

I agree completely. A swat on the butt gets their attention when nothing else works but it only works if you don't do it often. There were times when my mom had tears in her eyes as she did it but she cared more about us growing up to be safe, decent, and respectful people than she did about how she felt in the moment.

Best Answer

That when the ice cream man plays his tune he's run out of ice cream

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

Haha that's a good one!

Best Answer

lmao. my dad told my sister that last week

Best Answer

My parents did that too! I thought I was the only one that happened to.

Best Answer

In Aberdeen, Scotland they install double glazing so the kids cannot hear the tune.

Best Answer

"Your daddy is at work right now, i'll see if he can call you later."<br />
He was in jail.

Best Answer

Haha woah that's funny but shocking at the same time XD

Best Answer

we are going for cigarettes we will be right back

Best Answer

Lol, well unless they never returned you're lucky, if that was their biggest lie.

Best Answer

Ah that's a good one, or going to the grocery store be right back..... Doesn't come back till the next day.

Best Answer

yea see you get it

Best Answer

One time they told me they were going to walmart... came back a week later O.o They took my little brother too. They still say they went to walmart...

Best Answer

lmao wtf?

Best Answer

LOL!l that is a good one bro..

Best Answer

My God! I wonder where they went?

Best Answer

They told me I would learn a lot, nope, still an idiot.😹

Best Answer

lmfao

Best Answer

you learned that. (I doubt you're an idiot. look back in 5 years & you may feel different.)

Best Answer

I can be anything I want to be! Lol if that **** was true I'd be rich, retired, and drinking cocktails with my wife!

Best Answer

That is so right

Best Answer

You CAN be anything you want to be. The question is do you want to be it enough to work for it? Sounds like you just expect things to happen. You look at other people as if everything comes easy for them because they're where you want to be but you don't know what they had to do to get there.

Best Answer

First off I've worked my *** off for everything I have. And I don't expect **** from anybody. You can't be anything for example I want to be a cloud. How do I work to be that??? It was a sarcastic statement...I don't need your pep talk. I'm about as motivated as they come.

Best Answer

you cannot be anything you want to be. I wanted to be a doctor when I was a child but I have such a strong nausea of blood that I get lightheaded.

I wanted to be a Marine with the Silent Drill Team but you have to be a certain minimum height so I was disqualified.

Life isn't fair and you cannot be anything you want to be. I do agree with you and think that most things in life can be accomplished with hard work but not at all things, nor all vocations.

Best Answer

I've discovered I can be anything I want but I don't always know what I really want. When I find something I really love (and am not just good at), I also find a way to do it eventually. Sometimes, I then discover the reality isn't as great as the dream but I'm still happy because I did what I wanted even if it wasn't the way I wanted & even if only for a little while.

Best Answer

Question: why does the U.S. have the least amount of social mobility of any country in the developed world? Why is it so much more difficult for a poor person to lift themselves out of poverty in the U.S. versus a poor person in Germany, France, Britain, Canada, Japan, South Korea etc. etc.? And don't give me a no-answer "answer" like "Just keep your nose to the grindstone and everything will come up roses." I'm asking why is the U.S. the least upwardly mobile country of any first-world nation? While we're at it, why has American worker productivity been steadily increasing year after year, decade after decade, but wages remain stagnant, the minimum wage is (adjusted for inflation) LESS now than it was in 1979 and yet the cost of living keeps rising and corporate profits keep skyrocketing? You know who benefits from capitalism? The comparative few who have the capital to be able to exploit the rest who lack the capital to be able to exploit anyone. Aaaaaaand that's about it. The rest of us get varying degrees of exploitation. Yeah, what a great system.

Best Answer

I know it sucks but most of the time our achievements are never commensurate with the amount of hard work we put into things...hence the saying "aim for the moon, if you fail you will among the stars''...so if you want to reach the moon i say aim for the sun.

Best Answer

They told me that I was their child, but i was adopted, but I had a beautiful childhood and when I was 18 they told me the truth, It made no difference to me they were always my parents

Best Answer

U weren't mad at all?

Best Answer

no I wasn't, I was 9 weeks old when i got adopted, so they were my parents

Best Answer

you weren't mad that they told you so late though?

Best Answer

I was adopted at birth and told when I was five. Pretty much never connected with them. Angry for WAY too many years. Suffering for it as an adult even now. I wonder if they had lied to me if it would have been any better.

Best Answer

The same thing happened to me. You were their their child it's just that they weren't your birth parents. Just because I was adopted made me no less their child nor them any less my parents. In fact I can say that I was chosen by my parents and not just a result of the luck of the draw.

Best Answer

What do you have to be angry about? Somebody loved you enough to commit years of their lives and thousands and thousands of dollars to raising you. Have you ever thanked them?

Best Answer

That I couldn't hide the Internet history from them. <br />
Take that, mom!

Best Answer

They never told me while growing up that the ones i called mother and father weren't my biological parents. <br />
I had to find that out on my own by accident at age 16.

Best Answer

all biological means is they had sex to make you and thats easy to do.
but to take in someone elses child and raise it as your own thats something you should respect

Best Answer

How did that feel?

Best Answer

Let's just say that my family has some strange intrigues.... And I wrote what I wrote in a neutral and short way. It's a bit more to it than what it seems. :)
It felt.... both good and bad.

Best Answer

Stay in school - it's your best shot at a "good life".

Best Answer

Agreed. I think I would have been happier quitting after high school and just going on the road to build up experience. Since I am a writer, experience means everything.

Best Answer

Really?? I love writing too! Working on a few novels, seems a hard industry for new blood to break into, I've posted a few stories on here - feel free to check em out ;)

Best Answer

that baby's come from the magical swan and if u eat watermelon seeds it will grow in ur stomach and the toothfairy

Best Answer

Ha I don't like watermelon and I think it has to do with being told the seeds impregnated my unmarried aunt when I was a kid. I refused to eat it then and now I just don't care for it.

Best Answer

I heard a different version of the watermelon seed theory. Crazy.

Best Answer

I ate so many watermelon seeds hoping a plant would grow in my stomach. Still waiting.

Best Answer

That Santa Claus is real

Best Answer

yeah, I'm still scarred after figgering out th' TRUTH about that whole "Santa Claus" thing. Actually, I'm planning to file a class action lawsuit against the "childhood mythological characters," named individually and severally, to whit, "Santa Claus," the "Easter Bunny," "Tooth Fairy," and "Boogie Man" for failure to perform contracted services. Looking for co-plaintiffs . . .

Best Answer

Yeah, just think that the first cool thing to do to a kid is lie to them, for fun. It's almost a hazing.

Best Answer

Well, OK. I know about Santa Claus, but what's that about the Easter Bunny? Oh, say it ain't so, Joe.

Best Answer

Classic

Best Answer

the biggest lie my parents told me was: I Love You.

Best Answer

Awwwwwwwwwwww, wow!!!!

=[

Best Answer

I'm with you! :(

Best Answer

That was not a lie.

Best Answer

At least they told you they loved you. My parents never told me that in their entire lives.

Best Answer

My mom's never told me this lie.. She's never told me I Love You....so at least she won't lie about that one.

Best Answer

yeah but whats the point of saying something if you don't mean it.

Best Answer

That is horrible.

Best Answer

Wow, Lilly. That's a hard one. My own kids get so frustrated with me, tell me I don't love them. Sometimes, as parents, our job isn't to make our kids like us, it's to teach them right from wrong, to teach them that life is freaking hard, to teach them that they have to be tough. Most of all, to teach them that love doesn't mean their parents give them everything they want. That's not reality, that's not how the world works; this world will never give you what you want just because you demand it. If I teach my kids to be equipped to deal with this harsh place and still love others, then I've done my job. I do it all out of love. Parents are flawed individuals, just like you. Let go of your expectation that they be perfect. We parents screw up, just like you screw up. Help your parents be better at it. I ask my kids to help me with that. Bottom line? Love does not always equal nice.

Best Answer

:O Thats awful!!!!

Best Answer

The boogie man lives in my closet and would get me i still get creeped out at night sometimes.

Best Answer

MINE TOO!!! The ones that have the trap door to the crawl space / attic, yeah their doors have to be closed at night.

Best Answer

I use to sleep with the lights on

Best Answer

Lol... don't say that ****! You're not here and I have to go to bed in there!! *sleeps on couch in cold sweat*

Best Answer

*peeks through crawl space*

Best Answer

i still do i leave the bathroom light on and the door open

Best Answer

Wuss lol kidding

Best Answer

What, you're parents actually told you that? That's mean!!

Best Answer

That my father didn't have a drinking problem.

Best Answer

Aww thats so sad :'(

Best Answer

a woman likes a man that cleans up after himself and a woman wants a husband that can cook , I did all that and I'm still not married .

Best Answer

You must be useless at both then and your ability obviously is contagious to everything else you do!

Best Answer

no that's not it , since i can do all that for myself what do i need a wife for

Best Answer

Must be your pessimistic attitude! You probably want a companion, someone to agree with you, adore you, encourage you, & love you every day. That's why you're lonely. I would be so much less of a person without my husband and he feels the same way. It's not about who does what chores. It's compromise - and the best part is the connection between 2 souls. That is worth fighting for.

Best Answer

I never said I was lonely , I just said I've never been married . I'm the happiest person I know . I think my mom was teaching me how to be independent so I wouldn't have to have a wife . I'm surprised no one picked up on that instead you all called me pathetic , pessimistic and lonely ...lmbo

Best Answer

what a jerk you must be. No need to be such an a$$ in making comments.....bc

Best Answer

Its up to each person. Some people really enjoy marriage, others don't.

Best Answer

I never call anyone names online its asinine to do so . you don't know me and this is so brief you never will . I think its my way of responding that makes people upset . I hope you don't say things like that to people in person .. but of course you don't ...lmbo

Best Answer

With all due respect to the other opinions posted here, I think charles is spot-on about this subject.
I mean, my mother gave me that same gibberish when I was young, and actually went as far as saying that "a woman would be lucky to have me."
Well, I've been waiting for almost 58 years for this fictional woman to appear.
My point: Don't blame the poster for what he posts, blame the people involved who gave him erroneous info when he was young.....

Best Answer

And, by the way, I can't believe the folks who are dumping on you now.
After all, the title of this forum is, "What's the biggest lie your parents told you......?"
It DOESN'T say you're satisfied with yourself. It does say that, due to the LIES you were told, finding a wife/girlfriend has been difficult, at best.
I'm in the same boat, friend. I know exactly how you feel, and I know the reason you feel it. LIES!!!

Best Answer

Ah so you know women don't want a man like that or so it seems . I'm glad she taught me those things but it didn't help out in my relationships at all . I live alone , I do have a GF , we've been together off and on for 5 yrs

Best Answer

Charles, I think that a lot of women like what we have to "offer," when looking for a man to be with.
In my experience, however, I've seen more women into "machismo," "bad boys," "jail birds," unemployed (but extremely good looking) men, rich guys, guys who are "big," guys with body piercings and/or tattoos, men who were never, ever a member of the Boy Scouts of America, men who "slap them around," (I actually had a GF who said "I would rather you hit me than let me see you cry." WTF?)
In summation, women actually DO want men like you and I, but they also want us to simply "BE" men, replete with all the stereotypical things that men are supposed to "be." Media, at-large, is fully responsible for the stereotypes you and I resist on a daily basis. Oh, and by the way, our parents never mentioned or even tried to prepare us for this simple fact.
I love women, the way an intelligent woman carries herself, the way she looks after a hard day at work, the sexy way she looks in the morning upon rising, their cute ways when they think no one is watching, etc etc etc.
But, since I am an extremely sensitive guy, I lose.

Best Answer

"Trust me I know what I am doing"

Best Answer

Hahaha XD

Best Answer