Sadness is a natural human emotion. Everyone must feel sad at least a couple of times in their lives, even the most optimistic fall prey to this devastating emotion everyone once and a while. Yet after this (sadness), after the tears and the tissues, we all stand back up again and continue normally with our lives. <br />
Melancholy is probably another word for depression. When you just can't seem to get back up and continue life normally. It becomes a habit. Always gloomy, always seeing the bad sides. When everyone else sees life as (normal) life, with it's colors and black blotches here and there. You (the melancholic person) only sees the black blotches of ink on the painting that is life.

Best Answer

sad is sad and melancholy is sad plus a 18 pack of beer listening to a song that triggers significant memories lol.......

Best Answer

I think sad has a specific problem behind it, melancholy is more of a general feeling.

Best Answer

When I think of melancholy, I think of someone who is happily resigned to whatever the situation is they find themselves. When someone is sad they are not happy, nor necessarily resigned to their situation. I hope this makes sense.

Best Answer

There's a 12 step programme for melancholics but there's no hope for a sadist.

Best Answer

I think melancholy is more about remembering the good times, the highlights of life.

Best Answer