iluvbutterflies iluvbutterflies 18-21, F 19 Answers Oct 14, 2012 in Books

I rarely read fiction so my most favorite book is Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. It's mostly about social evolution, showing why some cultures boomed and others died out. It probably sounds boring but it's fascinating to me.

Best Answer

probably its a new genre for me. However, the title is striking...

Best Answer

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams<br />
The whole series is hilarious!

Best Answer

really? i might as well look at when I go to the bookstore

Best Answer

Very funny in a weird kinda way! Hope you like it if you pick it up

Best Answer

yeah specially if I had a bad day.

Best Answer

It's good for that. One of the few books that made me laugh out loud!

Best Answer

Agreed. All five books of the trilogy are bloody marvelous. And yes, you read that correctly.

Best Answer

"Laughing Boy" by Oliver Lafarge: Its a love story, a coming of age story and a glimpse into Navajo culture. At a ceremonial dance, Laughing Boy, a traditional Navajo meets and falls in love with Slim Girl, a beautiful but elusive "American"-educated Navajo. She is trying to regain her stolen heritage.....find the balance and harmony that is the essence of Navajo culture. Laughing boy is both unsettled and and attracted to the differences betweeen them. He chooses her against the wishes of his family. As they cling to each other they must navigate the joys and uncertainties of love, a vanishing way of life and its tragic consequences.<br />
I was given this book when I was in my boyhood and love it still...rereading it often. Even after all these years I am still moved by it.

Best Answer

No one favorite as I read a lot. <br />
For humor, I second anything by Douglas Adams. <br />
If you like British humor and biting social commentary in a fantasy setting, read the Disk World books by Terry Pratchett.

Best Answer

Read my book, Drunken Duck. You can read a synopsis of it by goggling it on Amazon.

Best Answer

I am a voratious reader. I have read thousands of books, through my livetime; both fiction and nonfiction. My interest are very varied, and that reflects my reading interest. I don't have a favorite, but you are going the correct way. Reading is a blessing and pleasure. I am thankful, to live where there is freedom of the press, even though it sometimes abuses its powers. Good reading to you.

Best Answer

yup I agree that reading is indeed a blessing. It makes me wonder to a place I have never been and makes me feel emotions I have never felt before. Thank you for sharing your thoughts..

Best Answer

Books are our first time machine as well.

Best Answer

This book was good in a way beyond good....it was called The Secret Life of Bees. It was about a young white girl who lived with her abusive father in the deep south. Her mother is dead, but her mother used to live with her nanny so the young girl decides to run away from home. The only clue she has, where the nanny lives, is a picture of a black madonna. She runs away, and she finds her mother's old nanny, living on a bee farm with her two sisters. It is a beautiful story of love, of growing and pain and learning to deal with it...

Best Answer

this book seems interesting....

Best Answer

The Winnie the Pooh stories by A.A.Milne, but don't bother if you think you have outgrown children's literature, or you really don't like Disney's pathetic take on the stories.

Best Answer

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." If you haven't seen the movie, make sure you read the book first. It's a very startling look at what this world could be like after THE D-Day.<br />
And anything else by McCarthy is almost as good. He's a terrific writer. [:{)

Best Answer

I have a book I love, but I don't think you can get it anywhere.

Best Answer

why? is it not published yet?

Best Answer

It's big and red, and it's called "Classic French Fairytales". Sounds silly, but they're really good. Especially Patient Griselda.

Best Answer

is it not out in any bookstores yet? I love fairy tales...

Best Answer

I dunno if it was ever in stores. Is so old. :)

Best Answer
Best Answer

Yes! That's it! That's the one! :D

Best Answer

the secret.. its the best book i have ever gone through... nice examples with brief info about how u can live a peaceful life.. and fulfill your desires..

Best Answer

is it an inspirational book?

Best Answer

Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck. Wonderfully written, sad story

Best Answer

what's it all about?

Best Answer

One of my favorites!

Best Answer

It's about a family's move from Oklahoma during the dust bowl where they hope for a better life. It's quite tragic but so beautiful. It's the way Steinbeck writes that I love, more than the story itself.

Best Answer

really? what's the story....

Best Answer

Le morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory

Best Answer

The Alchemy of desire by Indian journalist/author Tarun Tejpal. It is soooo exhaustive yet so splendid..you cannot stop reading it ones you start...its about love, passion, seeking solace in sex, going to the extents of insanity and realizations of an aspiring novelist. Another favourite is A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini...its about a girl in Afghanistan...her story from childhood to teens, from falling in love with her best friend to losing virginity, loving her parents to bits and seeing them die, getting married to a man she hates, still living life as a wife just to raise her children....it is.....awesome! Set in the Taliban times, you'll not only find yourself living the character but also feeling so bad for them that your heart aches with literature so so good :)

Best Answer