Question of the Day

9 months later i had a baby girl

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

It was that freak October storm- the day before Halloween, 2011. Connecticut was hit by heavy snow that weighed all of the leafy trees down, causing a lot of damage. The branches fell off into the road, into poles, onto houses. It was deemed unsafe to go out trick or treating. The power was out from that Saturday night when the wind started blowing, until 9 days later.<br />
The first few days, the heat stayed in the house. It wasn't too cold out by day, and so we put out candles and ate foods that didn't need refrigeration. By the time it was a week in, all that is in the fridge is smelling horrible. There is actual meat juice coming from the freezer. For insurance reasons, we do not open the fridge. <br />
We had no internet, no phone line and no way to contact anyone. Driving was hazardous due to wires in the roads, trees in the road, and a lot of routes were blocked off. It was like "2012" had come early!<br />
No one could shower that well- if you used a gas grill to boil water, you could do what you needed to, but fuel was scarce and so the grill was a valuable resource. Due to lack of food and hot water in homes, shelters opened up in our local schools. Radio stations broadcast where to go and what gas stations were working- you could end up stranded if you didn't pay heed to the news man. On the road, most traffic lights weren't working. So you would have to "take turns" at lights, and if you were facing non<x>stop traffic? You may be stuck for an hour, with angry, impatient people stuck behind you. If you tried to drive at night? DON'T, that's what was advised. There were no street lights, so a branch could come out of no where in the dark, and you could hit it before you knew what had happened. <br />
It was scary. After 9 days, the power came back on. We lost 1 fish in the power out, but one miraculously survived without heat for over a week. We had to move our dogs out into a friend's house, and the cats? We piled up blankets in the house for them, and they kept us warm on those cold, cold nights- some nights too cold to sleep. I'd never felt so cold. Had to wear many la<x>yers to bed. But thank goodness, it's all history now.<br />
It really showed us all of the things that we take for granted day by day- hot food, light, ease of communication, travel.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

I was probably 5 at the time. Our power shut up and my dad was telling my brother and me ghost stories. We lived for that stuff, it was always our favorite thing to do. Well my dad took my brother and our dog with him to get some dinner and left my mom and I at home. About 10 minutes later we hear whT sounds like my dog scratching at the back door. My mom not realizing my dad took the dog went to let him in...before she got to the kitchen where the door is I shouted "daddy took the dog". My moms exspression went from happy to oh s**t in a millisecond. She grabbed my ba<x>seball bat and I grabbed my dads shoe lol he's a big guy shoe size 17 sometimes 18. She went to the door and there was nothing there....but we still heard it. I remember her asking me if I was scared and I told her were strong we can handle it (I was feeling brave cause my parents had just gotten a divorce). My dad and brother are step family. She was relieved I wasn't scared so we kept searching for the sound. The thunder scared my mom lol and she was just like "I give up. Scott will figure it out when he gets home. Let's go lay down in my room until he gets back" so we go to her room and when she opens the door she screams bloody murder!!!! My cat had kittens and the scratching was the momma kitty trying to get to her food. She tore my moms room up and when my mom opened the door the cat jumped off her dresser right in her face and scared her. We didn't know our kitty was inside....she was an out door cat. We just sat in the room for another 20 minutes naming kittens :)<br />
It was a really memorable moment. I love my mom :)

Best Answer

My brother was showing off some of his dance moves, and the power went out during one of his flips and well he smacked a wall he didn't see....power came on a second later...He as well as everyone else burst out laughing....

Best Answer

I was 11 and home alone. I swear to this day, that there is someone living in our attic.

Best Answer

squirrels...

Best Answer

underwear gnomes....

Best Answer

I sat in the dark until the power came back on. The end.

Best Answer

My best power outage story was last halloween, a freak snow storm hit, and the power was out. I then got the stomach virus, and infected my whole family. To make it even better, my house gets it's water from a well, so if we lose power, we lose running water. Puking and having diarrhea in a toilet that doesn't flush sucks. hahaha.

Best Answer

aghh! tht sux! i feel bad Dx &lt;3

Best Answer

My neighbor came over to borrow an extension cord. But he just wanted one end of it...

Best Answer

Lol!

Best Answer

Earth Hour.

Best Answer

I was 9. I was a girl scout. We had a sleepover with my girl scout troop at the Knoxville, Tennessee zoo. There was a massive thunderstorm and the power went out. Next thing we know, they were rushing the moms and girl scouts into an auditorium. We found out the next morning that when the electricity came on, it messed up the wiring in the lion's gate, so it opened and the lions got out!

Best Answer

Hurricane Wilma hit Miami in 2005, in late October, at the end of hurricane season. The storm was a lot more powerful than expected and, of course, knocked out the power lines. The bustling city of Miami was in the dark for four nights: it was so eerie, so unusually quiet.<br />
Fortunately, the storm brought a could snap, so we didn't feel the lack or air conditioning. The phones lines were down, there was no internet. One day we got in the car and we went to South Beach. We ended up in a convenience store in a block were they hadn't lost power. I was staring in fascination at the lights and the coffee machine, like I never saw anything like that before.

Best Answer

we lost power at the job one time and i saw my boss in his office with the lights out and sitting in the dark. i said why are you sitting in the dark, he said why should today be any different than any other day.<br />
heee

Best Answer

Looked out of the window to see that some boys had broken into this little generator building that powers the whole estate and found the "OFF" button. Every time they did it, a lorry had to come around to turn it back on.

Best Answer

Most real power outages I have been in have just been a short nuisance but,,,Once, 23 years ago, I was without electricity for about 2 months. It was probably the best period of time I ever spent with my soon to be ex.

Best Answer

When there was that Tornado warning in October 2011 for Brooklyn/Queens, New York. I was alone and the news said that it was coming around where I live. I was so scared when I was talking on the phone with my friend and suddenly the line went dead. Then, the lights flickered until it just gave up and went out. The rain pounded against the window and it was pitch black. I went into the Hallway because I was so scared and when I did, all I heard was the rain stomp on the roof. I ran back inside my apartment and called my friend on my cell phone (which was on 33% battery) to pick me up and take me to her house. Around 8, when my parents picked me up, as we walked home, we saw trees on the ground and power lines on the ground. Dx We lost all power so I went to sleep over at my friends <3<br />
The End(:

Best Answer

Last power outage I was stuck on an elevator with extremely sketchy people who kept talking about how they were glad that to be stuck with a beatiful young girl..LOL

Best Answer

I sat outside as the storm began to pass wtaching the lightning cross from cloud to cloud that night.

Best Answer

the year was 2011...the news was speaking of a natural disaster to come........hurricane irene...i lived in delaware....the power went out. mom said we're gonna die, i believed her for a second, the end

Best Answer

OH my god, were did we put the matches again?

Best Answer

I was working in a clothing store in a mall once. We had glass doors there. So when we had a power outage someone closed the doors for some reason lol and i was running out and bumped into the door! It was funny and painful.

Best Answer