Questionator Questionator 26-30 54 Answers Nov 2, 2012 in Community

Question of the Day

Even though we've had some very tough years, we've always managed to have a nice Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinner. My favorite was in 2000 when my uncle came home for the first time since the early 1990s. He lived in Europe and it was always a good time when he came home. That's the only Thanksgiving I can remember him being home. And it wound up being the last time I got to see him as he died in a car crash less than a year later. As he was married to an Italian lady and had officially changed his citizenship to Spanish, he was buried there, so I never really got to say goodbye. We had a memorial service, of course, but not being able to see him was tough.<br />
As for less fortunate, I'm in that category so unfortunately am not able to help others.

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

I am the less fortunate. I will have 60 dollars for a week's groceries so my big dinner will likely be mac and cheese. Maybe I'll splurge and put some bacon bits in it. I don't care though, because I still have my girls.<br />
My favorite memory is from Thanksgivings after dinner when mostly the womenfolk put away everything and just hung out in the kitchen talking about this and that. There were all sorts of treats to nibble on and gossip to catch up on. I miss my family so much now that they've mostly all passed.

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

Three years ago on Thanksgiving I went VEGAN. I was done with animal ba<x>sed meals. That moment made me the person I am today and I would never, ever go back. I love the compassion for animals around which veganism is ba<x>sed, and I love how so many different concerns like the environment and humanitarian issues also fall into play around it. I feel as if my awareness and connection to the world keeps growing.<br />
How am I making this day special for those less fortunate? I'm going to continue to not eat the turkey, future animals, or their products. And of course I care about my fellow humans too, so me and my college are doing a Tofurky feed-in where we will be spreading the message of compassion to others by offering free meat-less samples of Tofurky Roast along with "Vegan Outreach" pamphlets.<br />
For those who don't know, most common supermarkets have a meat-less and delicious Tofurky roast in the frozen foods section. Have a beautiful and gentle thanksgiving, my friends. =)

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

If we weren't made to eat meat, we wouldn't have canines and incisors in our mouths. And there's a reason we're at the top of the food chain. I'll enjoy my turkey, thank you very much. [:{)

Best Answer

Our canines are actually not like that of true carnivores. Also, our jaws moves from side to side in a grinding motion just like other herbivourous or omnivorous animals. Canines jaws only go up and down because they just rip their flesh and swallow. If you were a true meat eater, you'd also not ever be able to get clogged arteries like so many americans have today as the cholesterol would move through your system fast enough.
Anyway, beside the point, you should really watch "The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear" on youtube. It's really eye opening and has gotten so many people to wake up.
Have a nice thanksgiving.

Best Answer

We're not the same as true carnivores, true. That's because we're omnivores, which by definition, also eat meat.

Best Answer

It means that we can choose to eat either. However, in this day and age, eating meat is not a necessity and is now a moral concern. It also is usually preferable to eat more plant foods. You always hear the health advisers say eat more fruits and veggies. :) I'm not going to continue to argue. You either watch the speech I'm referring to or you don't and I highly recommend you do. Take care now ^_^

Best Answer

I generally try to donate to the local food pantry

Best Answer

It would have to be the year when I was a young child and my parents gave away our dinner to a family down the street. The father had been unemployed and they had two, young daughters and my father learned that they didn't have much in the house to eat. My parents decided we would share with them and also give them enough so that they would have more to eat during the week. Instead of our eating the dinner, my father took it to them. <br />
Those were the days before many stores stayed open on holidays as they do now. We ate left overs from what we had in the refrigerator because we couldn't go get anything else. There wasn't enough of one thing to have the same meal for all of us. We each ate odds and ends of something different. I remember having meatloaf and canned spinach and orange slices for that Thanksgiving dinner. <br />
I have to admit that at the time, I was glad to help them but sorry to see the pecan pie go out the door. Many Thanksgivings have come and gone since that one of my childhood but it's the one that I still remember.<br />
I have people I know who are struggling just to keep afloat. I'll invite them to my home for dinner and be thankful that I have a roof over my head and enough food and heat and pecan pie to share. I bake an extra one now so everyone who wants a piece can have it, even me.

Best Answer

I remember back when we'd have a table for the adults and another for the little kids. Those days were great.

Best Answer

oh we Auzzies see how it is.. lets just as Q's for the america's benefit... ;|

Best Answer

Best Answer

I rescued several cats over the last several years and I pay a fortune to make sure they are happy and very healthy...and before.they met me they were less fortunate...they alone are my charities

Best Answer

Big family dinners with all my cousins and family, watching football eating well and always playing a big family football game. Me and my mom always volunteer on thanksgiving morning at a soup kitchen. All my thanksgivings are great its my favorite holiday.

Best Answer

My favorite Thanksgiving memory is the wonderful turkey, dressing, and gravy my mother would prepare.

Best Answer

Doughnating mony to help by trukys for the homeless soup kichen and I helped out at the soup kltchin love fireman03

Best Answer

When I was younger we did not have a pot to pee in and barely a window to throw it out of. We had a full fare of potatoes, rutabagas, squash, all sort of pickles and canned garden fare that could not be beat, but one year we had no turkey. My Grandfather shot a raccoon and my Grandmother butchered a chicken. She stuffed the chicken carcass with pieces of raccoon meat and onion. It was unbelievably good. <br />
It wasn't until years later when my own kids were small that I heard of such things as Turducken (a Turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken) and I was able to tell my kids that when I was young we ate Chickoon.

Best Answer

*Is Welsh*<br />
Question = UNANSWERABLE.

Best Answer

Our family grew up on "tradition" and Thanksgiving was always celebrated with family and friends considered to be family-ALWAYS.<br />
Our family got together in 2006 as always and enjoyed a beautiful time together fellowshipping with each other. My mother who was 87 at that time had seemed a little quiet but otherwise her usual self and she enjoyed the day as it was one of her favorite holidays. Who knew that the following day she would suffer a massive stroke with a right sided hemorrhage that involved a large area of her cortex and infringed on the frontal lobe. It looked very bleak for several days in the ICU. Mom had a tremendous will to live and so she recovered enough to try to talk but had to have a gastrostomy tube for feedings because her swallowing was impaired. She remained in the hospital through New Year's but then went to a nursing home for Rehab. She was unhappy to have to go there but no one was able to take her home as she still needed complete care 24/7 and all the children had full time jobs.<br />
Mom passed away on August 24, 2007. That year as a family we began to help serve dinners to the homeless and needy because our Thanksgivings just didn't feel the same once Mom was gone. This is the way we chose to honor her life and to share with others who had less than we did. It is all about love and giving of yourself.

Best Answer

6 years ago my entire family came together for the first time in 20 years!

Best Answer

Most memorable would be the annual dinners at my grandparents. I'm having friends over this year to make it more merrier than to spend it alone.

Best Answer

I only have 1 from when my US friends invited my church Youth group. It was fun and the food was good. I will make it better for the less fortunate by allowing them to eat healthy by eating all the junk food

Best Answer

Any Thanksgiving I spend with family band friends is special...especially when it's with my grandchildren. I donate to the local food banks as much as possible for those who have less than they need.

Best Answer

My mom makes a big dinner for everyone, and we all sit down at the table to eat, and all my family comes too. Grandma, grandpa, and nana and poppy, and my aunts and uncles and cousins, and we eat outside on the beach, like a picnic, so that there's room for everyone. I like to eat on the beach, because i can put my toes in the sand. We all tell stories and jokes and Grandma sings songs, and my uncle Marty plays his violin. He plays while grandma sings, sometimes. I like to see my whole family together. We help at chuch making baskets of food for people to take home, if they can't afford a big dinner.,<br />
((This was authored by an autistic girl and typed out by her mom.))

Best Answer

My favorite Thanksgiving was when my oldest son turned one. He was so cute, all dressed up, going to Grandmas's. We donate food every year to the local food bank at especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Best Answer