Yawn...<br />
Anybody who says they're addicted to pot has little will power, there are few if any physical withdrawl symptoms and the psychologically addictive portion tends to be rooted in the same pattern of alcohol or tobacco use. That is to say, a person may go days without having a problem but go to a party or out to have fun and immediately be consumed by cravings for their "fun times" drug.<br />
Marijuana has been proven to be less harmful over the long term than cigarettes and alcohol. In fact Nicotine is far more addictive than even heroin. Unlike alcohol no one has ever been smoking joint after joint and decided to kill their ex and her new bf. Unike Cocaine, Heroin, and other drugs that require synthesis, purification, and huge productions, marijuana is pretty much the most natural drug you can use, after all it's simply a plant that grows wild and when it's burned or consumed there are effects.<br />
In my opinion, anyone who is actually "addicted" to pot, is either a completely burned out pothead making excuses to not quit, or someone who uses it to self medicate, ie for nausea, pain, encourage an appetite, depression, anxiety, insommnia, etc. I personally fall into the latter category.

Best Answer

I thought I replied to this already but I guess EP was being error prone at the moment... I was gonna say I've been the latter and the former before. It was hard to strike a balance, with stomach problems and insomnia together ensuring I used it frequently. But since getting back out of burnout mode I've been fine.

Best Answer

I find that using just enough to combat my nausea and lack of appetite is rarely enough to have any real effects. I use it recreationally as well, but I find myself tending to take a couple hits after a meal and a few more before sleep. I don't smoke as much as I used to.

Best Answer

I almost always take just enough that I don't feel high, just don't feel sober. Some kind of background effect. I only get really stoned when I'm in a circle and people are passing it around, then I'm still the first one to be done and not want any more. :P

Best Answer

THC (the active 'ingredient' in Marijuana) is both psychologically and physiologically addictive. It is less so than alcohol, nicotine, and even caffeine but is addicitive. I think the one major negative aspect of this addiction is the reduction in motivation. When people talk about 'lazy pot-heads' that is what they are referring to and it is an issue for an addict. One thing though about THC that is not true for the others is that it is almost impossible to 'overdose' on THC unless taken in a refined oral vector (pill form). I hope my children don't get addicted to it or anything else for that matter. However, I think our (meaning USA) ridiculously hypocritical take on it should be addressed. I think it should be legalized and regulated just like the other 'not good for you' stimulants.

Best Answer

Can you actually OD on pure THC taken orally? I'm not exactly doubting you, I've just never heard of it. Considering good hashish is essentially refined cannabinoids, I'd imagine someone would have "overdosed" on hash at some point and word would have gotten out. Keeping in mind that it usually has to be dissolved in fat to be absorbed properly when taken orally...

Best Answer

no matter whether it be hashish or cannabis sativa the vector is smoked/vaporized. If you create THC in a pill form and take too much it could kill you. Heck drink enough water in a short enough time and it will kill you.

Best Answer

"Keeping in mind that it usually has to be dissolved in fat to be absorbed properly when taken orally..." Therein lies the risk. 'absorbed properly' If you take too much your body has no chance to absorb it at all and your liver/kidneys are forced to try to clean it from your system. Just like an OD on a vitamin.

Best Answer

Okay show me an actual case of lethal oral THC use. I want to see this.

Best Answer

I don't know of a documented case since 'pill form' THC is so rare vs. the 'inhaled vector'. Recall at least here in the USA only a few states have legal THC. It is just a matter of whether it is possible or not. based upon my understanding of human physiology and cannabanoid chemistry I think it is certainly possible.

Best Answer

You can overdose on everything. Especially things that are considered dangerous. Caffeine, not considered dangerous, has more overdoses a year than most people would expect.
I however will agree with you Shoreboy. I believe the drug should be legalized, but regulated thoroughly to insure that children do not get a hold of it. Of course it will happen, it happens with alcohol, and other far worse drugs. But the toll on the Criminal Justice system caused by "The 'War' on Drugs" is far to costly. Individuals who have done literally nothing wrong are incarcerated.

Best Answer

Agreed but it happens now with NO regulatory oversight and 'pot poisonings' happen relatively frequently from Marijuana that was sprayed by a government while in the field, but since it is mostly drug cartels that grow it they could care less if it has a herbicide sprayed on it that will make you sick. Turn it over to Conagra, et. al. and control it like alcohol. Safer for everyone involved and basically takes the criminal sector out of the equation.

Best Answer

Isn't that one of the reasons tobacco is loaded with extra toxins?

Best Answer

tobacco is loaded with no such thing. Cigarettes made by the cigarette companies who loaded them with addictive chemicals which also happen to be toxic... yes. Tobacco the plant... no. However, tobacco requires a 'curing' process before it can be 'smoked', but cannabis sativa does not. Highly unlikely then that the major 'cigarette' companies would have any chance of 'cornering the market' when anyone can grow it in nearly any soil conditions to a 'marketable' quality. One of the reasons the cigarette companies, pharmaceutical companies, and ironically paper pulp companies fought so hard to ensure it was made 'illegal' and then to keep it illegal.

Best Answer

When I said tobacco I meant commonly bought cigarettes, not unadulterated tobacco. Excuse me for the slack diction.

Best Answer

I meant to allude to the possibility that weed, if legalized and regulated by tobacco companies would be adulterated the same way.

Best Answer

That is my point. Wouldn't work with Marijuana. Unlike tobacco there is NO real process to creating 'commercial grade' marijuana and the soil type for tobacco is quite limited... Cannabis Sativa will grow in almost any soil condition. You know who really would 'corner' the market though? The agricultural 'big boys' growing corn/soybeans for Ethanol manufacture. Marijuana is FAR more efficient and effective for that purpose. Can you imagine? 10000 acres 'in crop' in Iowa or Nebraska?

Best Answer

Also they would never get away with that kind of thing again. Whistle blower protection laws, etc. make it highly unlikely they could get away with it.

Best Answer

Hmmmm interesting. Something about the image of 10,000 acres of cannabis makes me giddy. Imagine it all caught fire... I'd love to live near that fire.

Best Answer

lol... I have Hawaiian cousins and one is a firefighter. They did a seizure of something like 1000 lbs. I asked him what they did and he said "Piled it up, lit it on fire, and watched most of the Island's population stand down wind and inhale deeply".

Best Answer

Its something else. I've seen it take away a person's drive for life -- everything is done in second gear. For some, that is good, for others, it has taken away potential.

Best Answer

It beats heroin addiction.

Best Answer

It may not be chemically addictive, but any behavior can be a psychological addiction. Some people can function on it, some people just become lazy nothings. Still, I think the benefits of legalizing it outweigh the costs.

Best Answer

Ah yes, the laziness. That gets particularly bad if you smoke it all the time, more than just every day. I've been there before, and it's hard to strike a happy medium where I'm just smoking it before bed to help fall asleep. That lazy dumb feeling is good for sleep or even coming home from work, not for every waking moment.

Best Answer

Pot in medical grown condition has helped many many people. Smoking too much is on the individual.

Best Answer

It depends on the person. I've been around it basically all my life,seen a few that go nuts without it,most,though,do OK without it when they're out or need to.<br />
I smoke occasionally,it calms me down when I'm manic,but when it's not around,oh well,I still deal with it.

Best Answer

About the same as an alcohol addiction. It take away your drive, your fire and you go through life living to get high or drunk.

Best Answer

I agree with it taking away your drive, but that's partly dependent on the person and the amount smoked. I only smoke it twice a day though and I have a 40 hour per week job where I get regular praise from my boss. I would consider myself an addict because I refuse to stop smoking it, but others might not consider me an addict because I don't let it interfere with my life.... Just saying, not arguing.

Best Answer

Absolutely. What you are describing does not sound like an addiction.
Addiction? way different.

Best Answer

Is addiction that person I used to live with who was attached to her bong 24/7? All I ever heard was a constant blub-blub-blub-blub-blub POOF coming from the living room at every waking moment. :P And she had NO job, and left her dishes dirty in the sink for 3 weeks before finally having a guy over to sleep with her in exchange for doing her housework.

Best Answer

Sounds like the poster child for disfunction.

Best Answer
Best Answer

It's chemically addictive after long periods of use. One or two uses will more than likely not afflict an addition, but continuous use will.<br />
Smoking marijuana also has far more hazardous effects to the body, it's smoke causes more damage to the lungs than cigarettes. (Introduction to Psychology - Laura A. King - Page 163, Paragraph 4.)<br />
I personally have no issuance with legalizing the drug, so long as people understand the facts on it. It's just as deadly, if not more, than tobacco. That argument is invalid.<br />
It's addictive, just like anything else you consume that isn't naturally needed; (A.K.A Alcohol, amphetamines, hallucinogens, nicotine, caffeine...)<br />
If it is to be legalized, there will be specialized bars that deal with air pollution by either containing the smokers and smoke entirely, or use heavy grade filters to remove the pollution from the air. Smoking Marijuana around children will still be considered illegal, just like handing a minor a beer would be.<br />
The legal age to partake in Marijuana will most likely be 21, due to the need for the human body to grow during adolescents.

Best Answer

More deadly than tobacco? That's hilarious in the face of mounds of scientific evidence that people who smoke pot are slightly less likely to get lung cancer than people who don't smoke anything at all.

Best Answer

This is complete bullshit.

Best Answer

I take my evidence for a book taught to college students. If there are "mounds of scientific evidence" that prove other wise, please, post it. But until then, I have a book published by McGraw-Hill that states marijuana is far more dangerous than smoked tobacco.

Best Answer
Best Answer

Oh, by the way, try using google. You'd be surprised at all the real scientific studies from real scientific journals you can find reference to through the evil internet.

Best Answer

Ok... So you don't want actual opinions on the drug. You want people to agree with your opinion.
Yes, I'm narrow minded for reading a "book." Something printed off with actual un-editable "knowledge."
I use the internet quite fine, thank you. I find it to be rather perverse, but evil is far from my mind. I find ignorant individual with no actual want to understand the opposing opinion to be "evil."
Now, I've skimmed your article posted, and see that one individual reported has done quite a decent job of discussing the issue of cancer caused by Marijuana. That does not make it immediate fact.
It does make a statement that, at least from her research that I would love to read, marijuana does not cause said cancer.
However, until I see the statement by the Health Department, not WebMD, that states: 'Marijuana has no negative effect on the adult physical bod,' I will not so easily be forced into believing it is an "okay" thing to smoke.
Also, immediately using a personal attack by stating that I'm some sort of idiot for not using your precious internet by using a book with actual sources is quite narrow minded of you.

Best Answer

"Smoking marijuana also has far more hazardous effects to the body, it's smoke causes more damage to the lungs than cigarettes." This is only true when you compare 'filtered cigarettes' to 'unfiltered' Marijuana smoke and only when you measure against equal amounts of 'smoke'. The incidence of lung, throat, and oral cancer amongst Marijunana 'only' smokers vs. cigarette 'only' smokers is far smaller. Due primarily to far smaller amounts of 'smoke'. You don't meet very many 20 joint per day pot smokers, but a pack a day cigarette user is very common.

Best Answer

Agreed that from a legislative point of view Marijunana should be treated the same as Alcohol. However, there should be age allowances made for prescription THC. Young cancer patients could benefit from its use just as adult ones do now.

Best Answer

And from that amount of information, so long that is backed up by a medical doctor, I have no issue with agreeing with.

Best Answer

Comparing levels of substances is how they get strange results. Comparing actual results of use in users is how they get real information. I don't care that you disagree with me. I just find it amusing that you choose to believe what you do.

Best Answer

I don't care that you disagree with me, however using fallacies and no information will only make me feel aggravated.
Now please, I don't mean to be aggravated, and I don't mean to cause issue, but insulting me isn't a way to get your point across. Take this into consideration: My information was posted in 2009, while yours was posted in 2006. Perhaps at that time, there were no issues with Marijuana, but as of 2009, this particular medical text book states that pot has more toxins in it than a cigarette.
I'm inclined to believe the one that was posted more recently, though either way I don't care. I don't smoke the drug, nor do I smoke tobacco. Mostly, because I know smoke was not ever meant to be inhaled into the body. Whether or not either drug has beneficial things in it is beyond me, as I will not ingest either due to the negatives they both have.
I'm sorry for posted so very much, but I'm trying to sum up the information I've gathered into a single column. It's rather difficult for me.
Last thing, medical research shows that children who smoke Marijuana, or pregnant women who smoke it show birth defects. Nothing serious like mutation, but things like slowed mental process, inabilities to learn, lack of motivation, etc.

Best Answer

A) I'm not aggravated. B) I didn't insult you, I told you how I feel. C) You still haven't bothered to look for other studies with the wonderful tool you have: A computer complete with a keyboard and internet connection. Look it up, compare studies, form your opinion, or pay me to guide you by the hand through all the information that's out there. I'm not going to do all the searching for you just because you disagree with me. I really don't care that much.

Best Answer

Mate...
A.) Cool. B.) You called me narrow minded. C.) I haven't bothered? I gave you good information, more recent than your own. Whether or not you accept that is up to you.
I read your article, and if I should want to argue a very strong point, would spend days researching it.

Best Answer

Seriously... You think information is automatically good because it's newer? Here: According to a study from THIS YEAR, newer than your study, pot increases your lung capacity. New study. Must be good automatically. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/13/is-pot-good-for-lungs-new-marijuana-study-adds-to-health-effects-debate.html

Best Answer
Best Answer

That latest one by the way is related to the fact that pot doesn't seem to be causing anyone any lung cancer.

Best Answer

Firstly, the first link is a compilation of negatives and positives. Not just one positive.
Secondly, that's great news, I'm glad it's working out. Like I said, I'm not against the drug, or it's legalization. I'm just against people who don't know enough about it, and simply defend it without good solid information.

Best Answer

One compound from cannabis can be used to treat Schizophrenia which a few studies have claimed it causes. http://www.scribd.com/doc/26291003/Cannabis-compound-CBD-as-antipsychotic-medication

Best Answer

You can tell me it's horribly toxic based on the chemical analysis, but the toxicity isn't being exhibited in vivo. You could tell me it causes psychosis, but cannabinoids can have antipsychotic uses. Research can show you just about anything you want it to show you. This is why I didn't want to bother sharing a bunch of links. Every time someone asks to do that it's a battle between contradicting research. It's a hilarious waste of time. Have a good night.

Best Answer

Yeah and I'm against people who go saying it's been proven to be much worse than tobacco based on studies that don't actually prove any toxicity in humans.

Best Answer

Not a presc<x>ription?

Best Answer

Nope, not a prescription. Black market illegal substance. It's too bad I don't snort clonazepam or xanax or something.

Best Answer

LOl, I was just going with the ryhme scheme. XD

Best Answer

Ohhhhh. Sorry I had no idea what you meant so I just randomly replied that way. :P

Best Answer