uralba uralba 56-60, M 17 Answers Dec 30, 2009

The tradition behind which side of a lady you walk on is based on offering protection, shielding her from possible harm, and that's generally the street side.

Best Answer

In the old days I suppose the man walked on the inside so when people emptied their chamber pots out the window he was the one that got dumped on. More recently it's traditional for the man to walk on the outside to protect the woman from being splashed by mud, water, or worse by passing carriages and later automobiles.

Best Answer

chivalry isn't dead, and if it is, I ain't. When traveling with a lady I always walk on the ouside, streetside. It was actually started around victorian times when carts and such would throw up mud off the unpaved streets. The poor gentleman was there to block it off

Best Answer

I dont know why you are asking all these questions, chivalry is dead, havent you heard? Feminists got rid of it years ago. <br />
It used to be on the side where the road was, to protect the lady I guess. I dont know how he would protect her if a truck was heading straight for them though.

Best Answer

The street side is correct. In my case we compromise, because I'm partially deaf in one ear.

Best Answer

The side closest to the curb.

Best Answer

The guy should be nearest the road.

Best Answer

there is no "correct" side no one has to do ANYTHING because of their race or sex.

Best Answer