I prefer to be confronted
Literaturegirl Literaturegirl 46-50, F 14 Answers Sep 1 in Community

If you are talking about psychological denial, then confronting the person will not do any good - as the truth is too painful for them to accept.

Best Answer

Working within psychology, confronting is the modus operandi. But yes, the denial is there as the truth is too painful, and denial a defence

Best Answer

Are you trying to baffle me with knowledge? If I'm in denial, won't confronting me just strengthen my denial (even if that is the common approach)?
I think I'd prefer to be guided to the truth at a pace that I could handle.

Best Answer

If you're wise, confronting you will help you; it will seep through, and it might make it very difficult to continue to deny. But guiding seems a good idea too, but might well simply collude with you

Best Answer

well, if everyone could collude, would that solve the problem?

Best Answer

Being confronted, which is why it's a therapy mainstay. And then your taking responsibility

Best Answer

Wouldn't they need to overcome the denial as well as confront the issue?

Best Answer

It's not only the therapist who needs to do the work. But the denial and the issue are usually directly linked

Best Answer

If they're doing something which could end their life or destroy it, confront.

Best Answer

Yes, seems the right thing to do imho

Best Answer

confront :D always

Best Answer

That's what I would do too

Best Answer

why does that not surprise me :)

Best Answer

No idea Bill ;)

Best Answer

It depends if someone is close to me, and if they have a habits of lostening

Best Answer

*listening*

Best Answer

That's the ideal, that the person concerned does have the habit of listening. Many who are in denial don't have that habit though seems to me, but I believe at some level they do hear anyway

Best Answer

That's the old contradiction, everybody expect you to be honest, but get angry when you tell em the truth.

Best Answer

The anger is more of the denial! Another defence. In the longer term if they're wise they will respect you for it, be grateful. This is what a true friend does imho, but while also having to accept it might not go down too well with the person concerned to begin with

Best Answer

You sure you prefer to be confronted? I tried but it got worse.

Best Answer

Well, not aggressively no. But if I'm clearly denying something, I appreciate very much those friends who suggest that I am, wake me up from it. Maybe sometimes the person is so deep in denial, your confronting won't work for a while, but the words would have gone in and might result in change later down the line

Best Answer

So I need to be patience, is that it? And keep on reminding? Cmon tell me directly,its easier to confront men than women in denial. I need to keep on confronting her?

Best Answer

One thing is tough love. If it's something like an addiction and you make a threat, like saying you'll leave if she doesn't get help, you'd have to stand by this. Trying over and over with no change could make you "co-dependent" but letting someone know you see the denial can help them over time

Best Answer

So leaving is one way huh. I get you. I heard you. Thank you

Best Answer

Or having your say, and then not otherwise involving yourself with the addiction in any way - detaching but with love. Just don't make a threat, and then not carry it out. Addicts are good at seeing through this. But if you say you leave and do it, could be a wake up call for them. Sometimes they have to hit rock bottom though before they recover, sadly

Best Answer

Sadly but true. It's the right thing to do. I just wish there is other kind method,but I guess,sometimes you need it in order to be kind.

Best Answer

ah, you say that now...

Best Answer

And have done it, had it done too

Best Answer

…would take a true friend to make that choice...

Best Answer

I love true friends, and aim to be one if I can

Best Answer

I would deny it.

Best Answer

Being confronted you mean? ;)

Best Answer

It depends if it harmless and a reason of their happiness, than why not let them be in denial. Otherwise, I have same stance as yours :)

Best Answer

I would confront if I care enough and hound them to death possibly or until they throw me out. Otherwise I will just let it be.

Best Answer

I'm with you! :)

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer