No- they take an oath under the penalties of pergury- which are substantial

Best Answer

err. i was asked to place my hand on the bible once. as a sign i'd be telling the truth, told the guy i didn't believe, he said 'just do it' XD

Best Answer

Close but not quite there...(possibly they do things differently in the US) under English law to take an oath you would have to swear, atheists are asked to affirm... (just a slight difference but a vital one)

Best Answer

That ****** me off-It brings the integrity of the system into Q- I'd love a conviction to be challenged on the basis of pergury because an Athiest was compelled to swear on a Bible

Best Answer

An oath is an affirmance

Best Answer

But an affirmation isn't an oath.... to validate an oath you have to swear on something, an affirmation is simply a statement to tell the truth

Best Answer

In USA- you can make an affirmation under the penalties of pergury- done all the time im papers and in court

Best Answer

Yes correct (at last!) an affirmation under penalty of perjury, not under oath....

Best Answer

are you in the us

Best Answer

No they don't have to any more than a Muslim would. But why would they ob<x>ject ? The bible is just a book, It would be no different than swearing on a copy of War & Peace or any other book.

Best Answer

First: thank you to forlorn3 for your full answer. Atheists, agnostics, & non-believers of all types have the option to "affirm under penalty of perjury" that their testimony is true, without reference to supernatural agencies. No, they don't have to swear on The Bible.<br />
FYI: The Oath Of Office for the President of The United States doesn't contain the concluding phrase, "so help me God". Neither is it necessary to take it upon the Bible.... and some Presidents haven't.

Best Answer

When are you going to understand that the bible is not the only book wriiten about a god. There are many. Why should atheists swear on your particular one?

Best Answer

Nope you don't have to swear on the bible in the UK.

Best Answer

In the UK, there are a variety of alternative options, to cover people of other faiths as well as atheists.<br />
The atheist one reads: "I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."<br />
There are also versions for Hindus, Sikhs and Quakers.

Best Answer

in NL you don't...<br />
... you have to promise (same status, different words)

Best Answer