roots2life roots2life 46-50, M 14 Answers Dec 6, 2012 in Politics

Do people really swear on the Bible anymore? I thought you just raised your hand and swore that you would tell the truth .. period.

Best Answer

Thanks, I wondered about that.

Best Answer

Many states still require it done .

Best Answer

I'm sure allowances would be made in the case of an Atheist or someone who doesn't believe in the Christian Bible. Otherwise, it's really meaningless to them.

Best Answer

Yes but just being offered the choice to pick this comic book up, stinks and could jeopardise your defence if you refused in front of a religious bigoted jury....

Best Answer

Thanks for your insightful comment .. very helpful.

Best Answer

They dont have to

Best Answer

Nobody swears on the bible in court anymore.

Best Answer

Many still do in Britain,,,,

Best Answer

They do in Texas.

Best Answer

Usually you can opt out and do something else. I forgot what it is, though.

Best Answer

Best Answer

When Christians go to court why do they swear on the bible? When Jesus told them never to swear?<br />
Think about it.

Best Answer

Well in Australia you don't have to swear on the bible in court but you have to give your reason so the jury knows and can factor that into their deliberations.

Best Answer

PMSL.... so true!

Best Answer

Swearing on the bible is no different than swearing on a superman comic book. They don't do that any more You just swear to tell the truth.

Best Answer

In Britain and certain parts of the US,you can "affirm" that what you say is true...

Best Answer

holy books of any creed or religion are not words of God, it is the rule communicated by the( MIA God?? ) but interprated by Man and as man are not infallible it is misconstrued , for Atheists it is a Book, does not have the power, If God's word, then everytime a man does sin, he is struck by ligthing or punished but is this happening so swearing on any Holy book is not something solemn rather a tool of convenience

Best Answer

What I don't get is, swearing on the Bible doesn't stop someone from lying on the stand. I think it's silly.

Best Answer

Hey Now , In court you need all the help you can get for free .

Best Answer

if they did, i'd think it was more like a loophole. that is, you swore on something you don't believe in, so you don't have to tell the truth.

Best Answer

Oh there's bigger problems with the courts than that. Typically atheists go to court less often then any other group of people.

Best Answer