I am at the very start of the separation and I am aware that at some point we will have to split our assets in order to go our way. However, does that have to occur right from the start or just when the divorce papers are filed? In my situation, we currently share a car that is in my name but the STBX has decided that since this will be common marital asset, she is entitled to drive it 50% of the time as she no longer has a vehicle. I was open to the idea at first since we have kids and she was using it to drive them around. However, I am being stuck with about 75% of the gas bills without the use of the car. Can I treat the car as mine (as we did from when it was purchased) until the divorce papers are filed or is it treated as common asset right away and subject to 50% division.
Pappabear4320 Pappabear4320 41-45, M 4 Answers Feb 2 in Parenting & Family

Brace yourself. And lawyers will encourage fights.. the linger it goes on the longer they get paid...

Best Answer

I don't know but do whatever possible to avoid going to court...try to agree upon things, and then have the divorce decree sighned by a judge

Best Answer

Thanks. I was trying to avoid going to court just because of the cost. Unfortunately, she looks more than willing to push this to the courts and has now even told me not to talk to her without a lawyer. I guess this will have to be a work in progress.

Best Answer

Ask the lawyer to give you a flat figure. (They **** me off). Tell him that if he's experienced, he can predict the future, to walk you through the steps, and ask "what's the bottom dollar regardless of what my wife wants" but some how be nice about the way you show walk them thru how you know they already know what's going to happen (they play dumb to get more money) if ultimately XYZ is going to happen, how much. Tell him your price shopping for a final figure.

Best Answer

Play "Columbo" and pose idiot by asking leading questions to corner them if (you have that skill) into telling you from beginning to end what will happen and how much... So line up some pre calls, and go with the one who sounds most direct because they "leave out info" to keep leaching off off you

Best Answer