I am at the very start of the separation and I am aware that at some point we will have to split our assets in order to go our way. However, does that have to occur right from the start or just when the divorce papers are filed? In my situation, we currently share a car that is in my name but the STBX has decided that since this will be common marital asset, she is entitled to drive it 50% of the time as she no longer has a vehicle. I was open to the idea at first since we have kids and she was using it to drive them around. However, I am being stuck with about 75% of the gas bills without the use of the car. Can I treat the car as mine (as we did from when it was purchased) until the divorce papers are filed or is it treated as common asset right away and subject to 50% division.
Pappabear4320 Pappabear4320 41-45, M 4 Answers Feb 2 in Parenting & Family

Brace yourself. And lawyers will encourage fights.. the linger it goes on the longer they get paid...

Best Answer